Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Which Landcruiser - Petrol or Diesel???

Re: Which Landcruiser - Petrol or Diesel???

18 months ago Diesel was dearer that petrol , on the low cycle even 98 ron was cheaper . Now they are about the same price on the low cycle , on the high cycle 91 ron is much dearer.
    Keep in mind one lt of diesel has about 20% more energy that one lt of 91 ron , it makes it much cheaper .

Quote Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
    Not really Chisel. Different strokes for different folks. The performance of my turbo diesel is better than others (having a rebuild and ballanced engine and a few other mod cons). But I just got 500k's out of my 90 litre tank. Thats it. The bottom line is it just doesnt have the performance Im after, and that reflects in the eco. I would have to drive the V8 a hell of alot less hard, to get the same performance. Thus a V8 on gas would be a wayyy better option for me. But, I have no choice...

So it all comes back to the person buying it.

I'm getting over 700, and I don't take it easy

One mate of mine just had his 1HD in his 80 series rebuilt and is getting just on 700klms from the main tank

Other has a 2007 TD 100 and gets around 800klm from his main tank, but he drives like a girl and it's an auto

there seems to be something wrong with yours
    did you have the pump and injectors done with the engine rebuild?
    If You Can't Run With The Dogs....... Stay On The Porch

Quote Originally Posted by Kevaclone View Post

Some vehicles have a button for Power / Economy, which is at times shortened to "PWR / ECO".

From the posts that I have read here over the times I think Ben's button must be mistaken for "Ego".

When a driver pushes that ego button the fuel efficiency always goes out the window.

- Darren

Quote Originally Posted by Kevaclone View Post
    I'm getting over 700, and I don't take it easy

One mate of mine just had his 1HD in his 80 series rebuilt and is getting just on 700klms from the main tank

Other has a 2007 TD 100 and gets around 800klm from his main tank, but he drives like a girl and it's an auto

Yeah mate, full rebuild, turbo, pump and ballanced and has done 150 000. There is nothing wrong with mine at all. Other guys I have spoken with get 600 out of their stock as rock 1hdt's. I could at best get about 560 out of my main tank. I do have 35 muds, but as I have change my diff gears back to 4.56 its pretty close to normal. Given that I have to consider wind resistance and rolling diametre. I would say I am easily on par if not better than with your 4.1 gears and 33 muds. I will fall short of 1000k's for both tanks. So for you to be getting an extra 200 -400 is huge..

Ps, Mr bean, I have no idea what your on about??? Its an 80 series manual.

Might just be the tyres, rolling resistance on muds is huge and 12-13 inch wide 35 inch dia muddies offer a lot of it. Larger diameter and wide tread face has a larger contact patch, I'm guessing 25% more than mine would be

What other gear have you got on it, Mine has steel winchbar and XD9000lb winch, 3T towbar and a very hefty full width 12mm steel plate on the rear for a spare wheel carrier(about 70kgs). Weigh Bridge shows 2.8 tonne with just me in the vehicle and empty main tank

I was pretty pleased with the 320klms from the sub tank which included a 3 day stay on Straddy, fully loaded up with camping gear for 5 of us(Beachmere to Cleveland and back, Amity to camp 9klms along main beach and back, Camp to Point Lookout and back)

Nothing out of the ordinary, same as you winchbar and winch etc etc... I would say it was the 35's forsure IF I hadnt done the gears. Taller gears reduce it back to stock revs (2300rpm at 100) and the amount of torque should compensate for the tyre O.D and wind resistance. So technically I should be better off than 33 muds and stock 4.1 gears. But im calling for the same overall gearing. Its a mystery...

But, I wouldnt be looking for problems with my truck. The amount of guys Ive spoken too who are getting the same averages as me is pretty normal. Out of 14 guys with stock 80 seris so far... Stock as a rock turbo diesel 80 series get 650 main tanks and 290 reserve on average.. That makes me feel a whole lot better... Im not saying its impossible to get 1200 but Im not going to believe it until I see it. 1400 is complete B/S though...

Its official 920k's is it... for 140 litres = 15l per 100k's

When I had my 80 series TD manual I could go from Sydney to Noosa (only just ) , it was speed dependent the faster you go the more fuel you use , sit on 110 , about 12-12.5 lt per 100 , sit on 100 , under 12 , sit on 70-80 , 10 ltrs per 100 , I did that once in Western australia traveling inland on good dirt roads.
    The truck had a alloy TJM bull bar, A/T tyres on factory steel 16x8 wheels.
    I can tell you sitting on 130+ in NT she used almost 16 lts per 100.

Bendover,

By having larger and heavier wheels tyres you will use more fuel even if you change the gearing because it takes more effort to spin them .

I have Cooper ATR's on US mags on my 80 series T/D . tomorrow I will have M/Thompson F-C 11's x 265's fitted to my original 8" GXL rims . I hope that's not going to increase fuel consumption with steel rims , and they are heavy! As it is, I can just manage about 850 k's on both tanks .........standard GXL plus snorkel .

Jimmy

Your same as me jimmy. I dont think rim weight makes much difference. Its tyre weight in porportion to the hub centre. The further away you go (bigger) the more it weights.

But wrxhoon. Thats why I said it would be the same as 33muds and 4.1 gears. The 4.5 gears reduce the amount of effort to push them, just like gears on mountain bike... by calculations when the gears are added it should have less resistance than 33 muds and 4.1's. But im calling for the same.

Im not saying you cant get 1200k's out a tank. But 1400 is no way. Even the fact that you would have to run them completly dry and such up all the sludge and comes into play.

Just goes to show though, diesels aint diesels and some are just better than others...

Your same as me jimmy. I dont think rim weight makes much difference. Its tyre weight in porportion to the hub centre. The further away you go (bigger) the more it weights.

wheel weight + tyre weight does make a difference#as does tread type
    More unsprung weight adds to higher fuel consumption

But wrxhoon. Thats why I said it would be the same as 33muds and 4.1 gears. The 4.5 gears reduce the amount of effort to push them, just like gears on mountain bike... by calculations when the gears are added it should have less resistance than 33 muds and 4.1's. But im calling for the same.

You are not looking at the whole picture

you have a huge contact patch and every time those big tread blocks slaps the the bitumen they are trying to slow you down, changing the diff would have an impact but you still have a lot of rubber in contact with the road and that rolling resistance is what is killing your fuel economy

Im not saying you cant get 1200k's out a tank. But 1400 is no way. Even the fact that you would have to run them completly dry and such up all the sludge and comes into play.

Why have you got sludge in your fuel tank?

There seems to be a misconception that running a tank empty will pick up dirt etc. from the bottom of the tank, that is incorrect as the fuel pickup is at the bottom of the tank, water and dirt will always go to the bottom of the tank, so you would pick it up weather the tank is full or empty

Just goes to show though, diesels aint diesels and some are just better than others...

True
    when I bought my cruiser is had the 1Hz engine. Mate took me down the Sydney to get it in his 1Hz 100 series, same model, same options etc. as mine, on the trip home he couldn't keep up to me on the hills along the Pacific all the way to Brisbane, on the fuel issue, his go all the way to Sydney(Mona Vale actually) from Tugun(Gold Coast) to just Nth of Taree before he had to re fuel. Around 1300klms and that included a bit of driving around Mona Vale while organising to pay for my car, I got from Mona Vale to Beachmere(Sunshine Coast) and still had 1/2 the reserve tank left

Quote Originally Posted by capt View Post
    I have Cooper ATR's on US mags on my 80 series T/D . tomorrow I will have M/Thompson F-C 11's x 265's fitted to my original 8" GXL rims . I hope that's not going to increase fuel consumption with steel rims , and they are heavy! As it is, I can just manage about 850 k's on both tanks .........standard GXL plus snorkel .

Jimmy

You do mostly round town driving Jimmy?

Quote Originally Posted by capt View Post

Jimmy

Oh your vehicle is also constant 4WD

Mine is part time.
    Mate who is also getting similar figures to me in his 80series GXL had it converted to part time 4WD when he rebuilt his gearbox(spool kit in the Xfer box)
    he is running standard tyres

it all adds up
    But other mate with his 2007 100 series TD auto constant 4WD, is still getting 1200klms - 1400klms from his, mostly Hwy driving between Brisbane and Texas

My new prado is averaging around 10L/100 mostly round town, 3.0 TD auto constant 4WD with only 2600klms on it

Your not telling me anything new kevaclone. If you have ever removed a diesel tank and split it, there is a serious build up of sludge/jelly stuck to the bottom of the tank. The nature of diesel. When you run your tank right down low it starts to break it all apart and send it through. It wont damage your engine, just hinder performance by blocking your filter and reducing combustion.

my tyres are 12.5 wide, your 33's are either 10.5 - 12.5. At full pressure there isnt much difference (33x10.5 vs 35x12.5) in road contact.

it's the width, but also the tyre style gents. those big muddies will have nice big flexible blocks cut/cast into them. this is how a wet weather tyre works in motorsport, the lug flexes which causes energy losses that dissipate as heat into the carcass, this heat then makes the tyre work better but it is at the expense of power/efficiency. that howl you make down the road with big muddies is yet another energy loss and it all adds up. that's why i use the stocko (jap and not aussie cos they last better) dunlop sp road grippers pumped up like rocks, the rolling resistance is low and my fuel economy isn't too bad for a 2.8t steel block of flats. i still consider myself lucky if i get 740km's out of the front tank though (for 80l of diesel). i agree though keva, whilst i've never had to bust open a diesel tank the pickup position is at the bottom and any krap in there is in the filter anyway. i simply run the old girl until the yellow light flashes and then change tanks.

I get about 80-100klms once the fuel light comes on
    as soon as it gives the first cough I hit the switch and it's away on the other tank
    leave it for the second cough and it's all over, push the clutch in and let the engine stop, pull over and start pumping(only had to do this 3 times in 6 years)
    One thing you should never do is keep the engine turning over while rolling along, very expensive, like running the engine with no oil