Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Which Landcruiser - Petrol or Diesel???

Re: Which Landcruiser - Petrol or Diesel???

hoooooo yeah, can't imagine it would be much fun going backwards with those trailers, forwards is definitely the go

You wouldnt have anything else than a turbo diesel in those conditions. And I have driven a few bt50's, very nicely setup turbo. But unfortunately we are talking wagons, and cruiser ones at that. A dayly commuter/towing a boat distances for holidays. Its funny how my mates with turbo diesels envy the V8 auto guys when using as a normal everyday car (city driving). And when they go away on holidays the V8 guys envy the turbo diesel guys... It a vicious circle...

But all the tests have been done many times over the years. Nomatter how much hp you have or dont have, makes no difference at all when your in low range. Fact

Turbo diesel for sure

eli creek was up to my hip last year.... dont know which 10 years you are talking about

I thought I replied here but can't find my post - apologies if this is a duplicate.
    I went the TD and very happy even though I don't tow (yet). It is plenty powerful although not quite as smooth as the V8. I did heaps of calcs which suggested the V8 would be a bit cheaper overall (factor in all sorts of costs) but went the TD anyway for the better range and so I wouldn't have to worry about the fuel gauge so much.

The TD's have held their value extremely well.

Quote Originally Posted by vertico View Post
    eli creek was up to my hip last year.... dont know which 10 years you are talking about
    Really?? It hasnt been anytimes I went. When it used to run north and then cut to the ocean it was chin deep. Awsome, lets hope its even deeper this year .

they may hold their value chisel, but if bought from new, the td cruiser was identified by the racq as the most expensive vehicle in australia to own/operate.

again, it's horses for courses, choose what best suits your usage. people use all sorts of reasoning to justify why they bought a vehicle and all people are different so it's all good, a valid reason for me is "i just want it".

Hi Heath, as you know I have the T/D, and like and others I love it, and obviously most agree this is the way to go . I know of a 100 series going to action this coming Sat. on the coast.........give me a call if you are keen

cheers Jim

Quote Originally Posted by PADDLES View Post
    they may hold their value chisel, but if bought from new, the td cruiser was identified by the racq as the most expensive vehicle in australia to own/operate.

again, it's horses for courses, choose what best suits your usage. people use all sorts of reasoning to justify why they bought a vehicle and all people are different so it's all good, a valid reason for me is "i just want it".
    I'm pretty sure that RACQ study (and subsequent ones with the 200 diesel) was based on incorrect and over-estimated depreciation. I think they assumed they'd be worth something like 50% of new value after 3 years, when it is in fact a lot higher than that. (Try finding a 2006 TD for $36000)
    Anyway, I'm happy with the lack of depreciation on mine.

RACQ wouldn't have a clue mate , just like redbook , glasses guide etc.. they had my 2000 td manual $29k 2 years ago and my insurer GIO woudn't insure it for more than $32 ( agreed value ) I told them it was worth $40k so I switched to another company that would .
    In the end I sold it a year later for $39.5 k , not bad for an 8 YO truck ( with only one months rego left) that I paid $65 k new . I can't think of anything else that would depreciate so little in 8 years not even my 911 Turbo .

Like chisel said try buying a late model 100 series TD under $50K and see what you will be paying.
    I'm looking for a late model Prado TD for a friend and they are asking around the $48-55K for a late 06 model , they were selling them new for $60K!

I can only imagine what a petrol one would be worth if petrol went anywhere near $2 per lt , like it was a while ago.

Remember tho, if you are buying a diesel 100 series 2nd hand already, it is already thru its fastest period of depreciation (depreciation is widely accepted to slow over time, so its fastest when new). It wont depreciate as quickly for you then it would have for the original owner (even if his depreciation was way less than from any other similar price car)

that's right pretzil the bulk of the depreciation occurs in the first few years.

and yeah, the second hand td cruisers are definitely up there in value wrxhoon, i think you'll find that the racq numbers would have been done on people turning their cars over every few years, your one at 8 years held it's value nicely. i did remember thinking at the time that the weekly figure of over $500 to own a td cruiser was frightening and was maybe a tad exaggerated, but it's gotta be close to the mark.

you're still backing up my guess on the current pricing though wrxhoon, i'm guessing your one was in pretty good nick with a little bit of "fruit" at $40k, the same year/condition (early 2000's) in a petrol six would be in the mid $20k's, (friends have just bought a 2001 petrol/auto for low/mid $20k's) factor in the interest on the extra $15-20k at maybe $1500 a year to look at the money side of things.

standard tyres, no bullbar, and no lift you can easily get 1400klms from the 140Litres highway driving

#
    NOWAYYYY... Whats your secret?? 1HDT with normal road tyres and 3" mandrel exhaust gets 620k's main tank and 310k's reserve tank. Not towing
    dunno what you're doing then
    # #I'm getting over 700klms from the main tank and around the 400klms from the sub tank #on 33inch mud tyres running back and forward from work, all highway, 110kph with A/C on. Last time I weighed in at the council weigh bridge it went 2.8tonnes with me and the missus on board and an empty wheelybin
    1HDT with Caboolture exhaust's mandrel bent 3"(factory dump pipe)

and I just got 320klms from the sub tank, and that was with a 3 day weekend on Straddie(one return run from Inskip to Point lookout and the run down and back from the camp ground fully loaded)

#
    Quote Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
    Very valid point of range and is petrol/lpg's only downfall. If you wanted to use the main petrol tank aswell as your 95 litre usable lpg tank. Youd have more range than diesel.

Sorry but you'd be flat out getting 1200klms from that setup
    I'm thinking around 600klms from the petrol tank and about 400-500 from the gas tank

If You Can't Run With The Dogs....... Stay On The Porch

1400k's from 140 litres (90+50) = 10L/100. Not going to happen. 13L/100 = 1076k's. So with exhaust and variables 1200k's max.

With 33 muds on gearing wouldnt have changed too much. But rolling diametre and wind resistance, also loss of power and torque due to muds come into play. Not to mention it would have put your speedo and trip metre out inwhich youd be getting more that what your saying. Some engines are better than others. But how come your getting 100k's more than others? Stock engines get 650ish. With the mods your talking about low 600ish.

[quote=BenDover;1105106]1400k's from 140 litres (90+50) = 10L/100. Not going to happen. 13L/100 = 1076k's. So with exhaust and variables 1200k's max.

10L/100kms IS actually possible when lightly loaded and driven sensibly out on the highway (Factory turbo diesel 100 series- alloy bar & stock everything else).

The best I can get out of my current 105 series is 12L/100km (normally 13-14L/100km).

Cheers,
    Roo.