Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Which Landcruiser - Petrol or Diesel???

Re: Which Landcruiser - Petrol or Diesel???

g'day heath, use your proposed usage to determine the most suitable engine/fuel/model:

- if you do stuff all km per year then just get a petrol one it'll be the cheapest option on purchase price alone

- if you do heaps of km's and don't go to really remote areas then buy the petrol one and spend some coin on an lpg conversion. lpg can be purchased in nearly all the large centres these days. this will still be cheaper than a diesel in comparable condition

- if you plan on going to remote areas and/or do heaps of km's then go for a diesel, either n/a or turbo

some basic pros and cons:

n/a diesel is slowwwwwwwwww but you will always get there and because it's a very basic/popular motor (1hz) someone will always have parts and be able to fix it just about anywhere, range will be around the 1000km mark with twin tanks and you fully loaded up. this option is dirt cheap because you can buy a 105 standard but there's no rear seats

turbo diesel has exceptional power/torque and drives like a limo, this is the cream of the crop but you will be paying for the pleasure, it will be the most expensive option for initial purchase price and also parts and maintenance.

remember that diesels are generally a bit more expensive to maintain and sh!tloads more expensive to overhaul than their petrol counterparts. on the flip side though they are quite simple and very reliable in their basic form, i also reckon they are easier to keep cool than petrol, i don't know about the reliability of the electronic control systems of the flash turbo diesel ones though

petrol and/or lpg gives exceptional power/torque as well. don't let any of the "old wives" tell you tales about petrol having less torque than diesel. it's a load of krap, they're usually comparing a turbo diesel to a n/a petrol, put a turbo on your petrol engine if you really want to shut down their torque argument. running a 3t wagon on petrol is damn expensive and your range will be limited, running it on gas will make it heaps more efficient money wise but the range won't be that much better.

bottom line is that a petrol gxl will be so much cheaper than a diesel or turbo diesel one to buy that it's hard to justify the up front cash for a turbo diesel unless you do the km to pay for it.

we went through this exercise earlier in the year and bought a 105 standard, at the time we could get one with a few k's on it that's only a few years old in the low $20k's, for a comparable condition gxl it was high $20k's for a petrol and well into the $30-40k's for a turbo diesel, i dunno what prices are like at the moment.

lippa has got the best advice, get the best condition for your dollar and let mummy pick a colour ............... white or toyota beige ............. niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

Very well said paddles, and I agree completely. Apart from the keeping diesels cooler than petrol part. Loaded diesels always run hotter, its just the nature of a turbo. You dont need a turbo timer on a petrol. . But they are built to cope with this (factory turbo) so petrol and diesel is on par aswell.

And because of the very remote trips ill be taking soon is the ONLY reason I spent the extra $$$ and got a turbo diesel.

g'day ben, sorry for the confusion, i meant a n/a diesel. like you say either turbo or supercharged diesels or petrols run a bit hotter (especially under load) because of the hotter compressed air you're chucking in to it and the fact that now you have a red hot turbocharger sitting in the engine bay radiating heat onto everthing.

it's horses for courses when choosing a powerplant though, you've gotta match your usage to how much money you want to pay and try to ignore the old wives tales and make an informed decision. it's also a personal choice though so there's nothing wrong with throwing logic to the wind and buying whatever seems good at the time.

Exactly right. I dont mind turbo diesel at all for 4x4 applications. Theres just alot of brainwashed people out there who will argue with you until their blue in face that their turbo diesel craps all over the others (petrols). I got told I was an idiot for wasting my time doing the first LS1 patrol and that it would never match a turbo diesel, and that when I was finished and had failed that they would buy it off me for half what a standard diesel costs. lol...

Noticed how alot of comp guys are running LS1's now. And I sold mine sight unseen to a guy in WA.

Like smashed crabs said "he wont even bother reading any of the posts about petrols"

Noone is ever saying 1 is better than the other, they are all on par... $ for $. Just what ever you are most happy with at the end of the day.

crikey! A heap of info there guys.... THANKS!!

Only concern I have with gas is its availability. EG At Fraser there is no LPG available at all. But then again, when 95% of my running is on the had stuff, it probably is the lesser of two evils.
    Up until yesterday from the info given, I have decided on the TD but now, I'm back to being confused....LOL

Keep the info comming guys....
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Sorry to confuse you mate..

If you do go gas you cant run it completely on gas anyway. Its good to run it on petrol every now and then (once a month) as it coats and lubes everything. You will still have your main tank full of fuel.

Go test drive both.... Pick the 1 you like the best...

Id go turbo diesel all the way if you are thinking of towing a boat or thinking about some sort of fuel economy on the beach at fraser. The diesel imho is better when fully submersed at ELI creek as well , just make sure of the snorkel. I havent seen a petrol powered patrol or cruiser going through deep water for a length of time. But iam sure someone will prove me wrong. I like the turbo diesel because you have the power if you need it and no have to sit in the slow lane and be passed by everyone. The petrol is good but hows the fuel economy when towing or on the beach ?
    sean

IMHO i'd go for the 4.2TD if you can afford it, I did, and couldn't be happer. I brought it new 4 years ago and have clocked up over 105000km driving all over the country, from Weipa to melbourne, and the missus and I love it. As I live in Weipa, diesel is the best option, as it cheaper at the bowsers and I use a lot less fuel for the same distance covered than the V8 petrol. My brother in law brought the V8 petrol auto and for the same distance when we go camping or for a quick weekend run out to cairns for shopping, I will always use less fuel then he will. Servicing may be a bit dearer, never compared, but I have not had a single problem with the engine or drivetrain yet, just keeps on going.
    I agree the auto will make it easier on the sand, but if you lower your tyre pressure and stick it into L4, it will go where you want with the greatest of ease. Adding LPG would be nice, but up in the sticks we do not have the option for refilling of LPG.

Vertico - Yep, Im gonna have to mate . No problems what so ever with water for the 4.7 even full submerged. They are just scared to go through because of people saying "youll stuff your whole engine if you go through there without a diesel". You get a table spoon of water into a diesel engine and it will cease because of the high compression. Get water into a petrol and will bend a conrod but still run, just with a miss. = they are same for water.

I havnt seen eli deeper than knee deep for about 10 years.

There is no doubt that diesels are on the top of the list. Their the best for towing a very heavy payload and accessing remote places. And are bloody expensive and a giant rip for everything.

But anyone who has driven a 100 series 4.7 5speed auto knows how smooth and nice they are. Put it in D and go... They dont tow as easy and fuel is heavy 13l/100 vs 18l/100 unloaded.
    loaded (average boat) my estimate would be about 15l/100 vs 27l/100. Lpg would be about 30l/100 but being half price brings it back to 15l/100 you just dont have the range of a diesel (320k's per tank of lpg roughly)
    So diesel WILL tow easier and go further. If your planning remote trips then there is definately no contest like chooksy said.

heath, with regards to a fraser or moreton trip here and there. all i used to do with our petrol/lpg patrol was fill up the gas tank (120L) as close to the barge as i could get. this tank got me 700 or so km's on sand and then once this ran out (i very rarely did enough km for it to run out) i still had the 60L or so in the petrol tank which gave me another 250km or thereabouts. if i ever needed more fuel and couldn't get lpg (like on the islands) i simply ran it on petrol until i got to a station with lpg again.

again, weigh up your usage, it's crazy to buy a diesel that's more suitable for remote area use if you are only going into a remote area maybe once a year and you can buy unleaded out there anyway. obviously there might be places where even unleaded is scarce. buy something that's going to cover you for everything but is most suitable for the majority of your usage.

for example we do a 110km return trip into brissy each day and then go up the beach occasionally so our last car was an old '88 petrol patrol on lpg. it was dirt cheap to buy (because of the stigma surrounding big petrol 4wd's), it saved us a frikkin fortune on fuel costs and was cheap to maintain/repair. unfortunately it was getting a bit tired, we needed to geta 3.5t towing capacity and the cooling system on those patrols is a bit marginal so we moved it on and bought the n/a diesel cruiser, but i can tell you straight up, the petrol/lpg nissan had more mumbo and was cheaper to run too.

again, don't get me wrong t/d fans, the turbo diesel cruisers are awesome, but at twice the price 2nd hand, they'd want to be.

In late December 2003, the Federal Government announced fuel excise reforms, which will ultimately mean motorists using Autogas will pay an extra 12.5 cpl by 2015.
    Currently, fuel excise tax does not apply to Autogas, whereas petrol is taxed at 38.14 cpl. Starting in 2011, fuel excise tax will be added to Autogas at a rate of 2.5 cpl. This will increase by 2.5 cpl for five years, until the fuel excise on Autogas reaches 12.5 cpl in 2015. In today's terms, this will mean that in 2015, motorists will be paying approximately 30% more for Autogas when they fill up. However, it is anticipated that motorists using Autogas in 2015 will still be paying significantly less than those motorists who fill up with petrol.

Just copied this off the net, I wonder if it will have much of an effect gas/petrol V diesel choice. Starts to take take away some of the advantages once the Gov gets their hands on Lpg. Looking at Bens calculations above 30l/100 goes from half price (15l/100) to around 20l/100 cost in 2015. Still ok but you would think the Gov would encourage gas conversions not discourage them.

Pitures say a say a thousand words

note my tread 750x16

one ute is the last of the six's before it went to the v8

The other is the v8 towing two tadem trailer at the start of a 1400km trip through one of the toughest sandy tracks in the country, the victorian dessert on 750x16 tread

both utes are towing massive weights and averaged 1000km on two tanks

no auto , plain old manual

Again ya cant beat diesle, i wouldnt be caught dead driving a petrol through the country i have been.

Both utes carried enough spare fuel and provisions for 4weeks of hard work.No servo's or shops for at least a 4day drive

opps Now there are two photo"s

good stuff smashed, that sort of work is definitely diesel territory. that's pretty tough with the 2 trailers, is that your drilling aid in the tanks or your water? long distance, high loads, remote areas perfect argument to buy a diesel with a turbo, you're after range and high torque, just like the truckies. however if you were just doing an on road commute for low km and then either going up the beach or towing the boat to the ramp on the weekend then a petrol one will do the job just fine and for a whole lot less money.

paddles , i thought very seriously about a petrol for home use mate and ended up buying a mazda bt50 sdx top of the range, im getting 10km to the liter and have all the grunt and she does the ton ,i added an extra tank and she holds approx 120l , so i got the best of both worlds with the mazda, alot of tried and true old school gear backed up with a new donk. missus loves it and wont let me take it bush(her ute)

water and diesle in the tanks mate.approx 4.5 ton of weight with the v8 at anyone time on the tow pack, with a further 400kg on the ute. tow packs arnt standard , tried the standard and tore them clean of, trailers have been modified underneath to couple up, have towed 3 trailers at once and it's a real bugger when ya get stuck at the top of a dune and have to back em all the way down together

cheers