Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Which Landcruiser - Petrol or Diesel???

Re: Which Landcruiser - Petrol or Diesel???

Well i've had the N/A 1hz the turbo 1hz and now the 4.7l v8 auto. Ofcourse the v8 does out perform them and everywhere IMO exept the fuel consumpsion.

I changed mine to LPG not long after i bought it and with the re-bate it cost me around 1500-1800 out of pocket from memory.But you also need to fork out a further 1500 ish for a spare wheel carrier.

In heinsight i might have given the later 100 series T/D more consideration but i have never regreted purchasing the v8.

When i towed my boat from Cairns to Darwin 18 months ago i crossed the barkly hwy with the cruise control set at 150kmh.......it did'nt miss a beat but it did average out to roughly 4o liters per 100 k at that speed.........yes 40 L per 100k.

If i drop back to about 110 ish it more than halves the economy to around 17-18L per 100k.

The old 1hz T/D was only just behind it at about 16L per 100 at 110 kph.

It really does depend so much on the way you drive them unloaded the v8 on the highway doing 100-110 will give you around 12-13L (on petrol) per 100k's which is reasonable IMO for a large vehicle.
    The problem with having the v8 is that it's always tempting you to give it the happy foot treatment which buggers up your economy every bloody time.

The only drawback with gas is in remote areas but if you plan right and drive economicly is not a real issue.

You do really notice servicing the diesel compared to the petrol also,when i had the diesel's it seemed i was changing the oil every couple of months but with the petrol it seem's almost like an annual event.

Whichever one you go for the only must i'd recomend is to go auto......I will happily never by manual again....the difference in heavy sand/mud and ease of launching the boat is amazing.

Dan.

But you have to add, that 40 litres per 100 towing at 150kph is only $22 per 100k's on gas.

Quote Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
    But you have to add, that 40 litres per 100 towing at 150kph is only $22 per 100k's on gas.
    Yeah it is cheaper on gas for sure.........up here in Darwin the average lpg price is about 78-80c ltr and more exxy when you get further from town.........the most i paid once was at 3ways just north of Tennant was 180.0 per ltr but at that time unleaded was 2.60...........bloody highway robbery.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post
    For me, if I couldn't come up with a couple of realy realy good reasons to get a diesel (none in your post so far), I'd go the petrol due to the difference in initial price and repairs only.
    Your chances of finding a 100 series that's done little or no towing or offroad are also much greater with the petrols IMHO.

As for beach towing, only the 1hz powered one would struggle a bit - it will get there, just slower than the others.
    The one good reason is Range
    I get 1100klm from the two tanks, running a 1HD turbo diesel, 33inch mud tyres(fuel economy killers) and a 4 inch lift(no good for aerodynamics at all) averaging 110kph with the A/C on(1000klms when it had the 1Hz)
    standard tyres, no bullbar, and no lift you can easily get 1400klms from the 140Litres highway driving

try getting anywhere near that in even a standard petrol cruiser of any kind
    so if you intend traveling long distances a lot, especially towing a camper/boat the diesel will get there without having to take loads of extra fuel
    Nothing worse than touring about and having to miss seeing something because you won't have enough fuel for the detour, and of course if you do happen to run out of fuel out in the middle of nowhere, what fuel is the next vehicle to come along going to have that they can spare

Petrol vehicles are cheaper and if you are not going to be doing much touring/towing then they are a much better option
    LPG is even better on a petrol due to the fuel savings

The power and smoothness of the turbo diesels are pretty much on par with the petrols. The diesel has a lot more engine braking as well so slowing down and descending hills will be easier on brakes, especially when towing.

You won't be able to buy a Factory turbo diesel 100 with solid front axle, but the IFS is quite capable for most offroading and has far better road manners(less tiring to drive long distances), you could however get a 105 series standard or GXL with solid front and 1Hz N\A diesel right up until about 2007, the 1Hz is not a power house but will lug all day long and use much less fuel than a petrol on long runs

Just spent the weekend on Straddie with two other cruisers, both petrols, the only difference between all 3, mine used 20Litres of fuel, the others used double that, beach driving swallows the fuel
    If You Can't Run With The Dogs....... Stay On The Porch

Agreed diesel's have more range, but I did take that into consideration. The cape, and touring out west are both places I've been in petrol 4bies and not had issues. Petrol is readily available most places now that opal is around.
    My old boy toured central Aust and crossed the simpson with us for a month this year in an '80 series petrol with nearly 400 kms on the clock. It used to be mine so I'm fairly familiar with it. He Averaged 18l per hundred for the whole trip (8000 odd kays) - desert included. He carried two extra jerry cans as did the rest of us due to the nature of the trip.

If money wasn't an issue the poster probably wouldn't be asking about second hand 100 series in the first place.
    Last I looked the premium to have a td over a v8 was about $15k for a vehicle that generally has done more kays, and generally harder kays.
    I like diesels and they have lots of merit, but in the vehicles being looked at, the price disparity is large enough to play a major part on its own.
    Like I said in my first post, if it was MY money, I'd be thinking long and hard about handing over the extra 15, then shitting myself in case something broke - because fixing the diesels is on a different level again compared to the petrols.

For fairly accurate fuel usage get onto exploroz into the trek section where members log what they use per trip - divided into engine types so you can see for yourself the difference between petrol and diesel in the same vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevaclone;1103222

standard tyres, no bullbar, and no lift you can easily get 1400klms from the 140Litres highway driving

[B
    NOWAYYYY... Whats your secret?? 1HDT with normal road tyres and 3" mandrel exhaust gets 620k's main tank and 310k's reserve tank. Not towing[/b]

The power and smoothness of the turbo diesels are pretty much on par with the petrols.

They are 2 completely different engines and need to be driven differently, the petrol V8 is without a doubt smoother through entire rev range.

Very valid point of range and is petrol/lpg's only downfall. If you wanted to use the main petrol tank aswell as your 95 litre usable lpg tank. Youd have more range than diesel.
    Water and offroad ability is the same between the 2 aswell.

Hey GBC - My water pump went today on my 1HDT. As soon as you mention the word diesel the price doubles. $244 from repco... Same with I just swapped out the stock aloy/plastic radiator for a copper core 1 (reliabilty offroad) and the turbo diesel fan shroud is different to the petrol, again double the price...

I do love my 1HDT and am keeping it over the petrol 1. But only because of the remoteness of my treks soon.

I have owned several Landcruisers over the years , Petrol in early years and the Last 3, 80 series , 100 series and now the 200 al TD'S.
    When I bought the first TD I never went backwards to petrol and never will on any future 4WDS, don't forget the current model TTD outsells petrol by 4 to one .
    I use mine like you do but no city driving at all , in the city I drive a car, petrol of course . You can't beat a TD for hauling anything heavy, I could go from Sydney to Noosa without filling up on my 100 TD manual. I use to tow a 3.2 T boat and get around the 16-18 lts per 100k driving at 90-100 kmh . As far as power goes she was on par with the V8 empty but towing she would veave the V8 uphills.On the sand dunes the same thing the V8 would run out of puff before the TD.
    If you prefer a manual, buy a manual if you like auto buy the later model ( end of 02 on) with the 5 speed, either way you will be happy .
    The downside of the diesels, smelly hands when you fill up and a little noisier in the cabin, I must say the 200 you wouldn't even know it was a diesel , its so quiet inside . You will pay a lot more money for it but you will get a lot more selling it , every man and his dog want a TD Landcruiser so re-sale is better than anything else. I bopught mine in November 2000 for $65 k and sold it in JUly 2008 for $38.5 k , I could have bought a Petrol 4.5 at the time for $55 k anbd I would have been lucky to get $20k in 2008.
    I don't know why you all say the service is double to the V8 , the service intervals are the same on the 100 td ( every 10 k k's) and so is the cost. Ok the 150 k service is more exy because you have to do a timming belt and change the injector pipes .

For me its TD for trucks and petrol ( turbo again ) for cars , I wouldn't have it any other way . How many trucks do you see on the road petrol ? I can't remember the last time I saw one .
    I use to just iddle out of the boat ramp with 3.2 ton behind me in second low ( manual) , in my 200 I don't even bother to select low but she is auto , no more manual Landcruisers for Australia.
    When you hook up your 2 t boat behind your TD you will be able to go anywhere uphills on the HWY and maintain legal speed and driven sensibly use 15-16 lts per 100 k on good roads.

Don't be very concerned with the high k's most of these will have already clocked up, I've sen some with 500k k's on the clock , as long as they are well serviced they are fine . Of course look for a lower k truck but all will have over 100 k 'k's and expect to pay over $40 k for a good one .

[quote=BenDover;1103252]
    Very valid point of range and is petrol/lpg's only downfall. If you wanted to use the main petrol tank aswell as your 95 litre usable lpg tank. Youd have more range than diesel.

Maybe on a constant downhill with a tail wind !!! Not a hope in hell anywhere else a V8 petrol/gas ( with 95 lt petrol and 95 lts gas) will go as far as as a TD with a combined 141 lts of diesel .
    Don't forget compression engines are much more fuel efficient than ignition engines , diesel fuel has about 18% more energy than petrol and petrol has 25% more energy than gas .
    I have seen a V8 GXV using 35lts per 100 ks towing a 3.5 ton caravan at 80 kmh !! I would hate to think what he would use if it was on Gas.

Ya can't beat Diesle's mate, im not even going to read the stories about petrol.
    Diesle's will lug all day and all night, i have worked the last 5years in mineral exploration in the Great Victorian Dessert and they are all Diesle's for the reason of they rarely let you down.
    Can't say im keen on the new V8 Diesle , one by one we towed them home, this is because the high presure injection system cant handle dirty fuel or bio diesle.FACT!
    If you can get you hand on an older Diesle in good order snap her up and i say this because many exploration companies are doing just that for a bloody good reason.

Ill conseed that 95petrol and 95lpg goes further than diesels twin tanks. They would be pretty much the same. But I wasnt talking about towing. Youd be surprised at how little lpg uses at 100kph, it has more power in the topend than petrol.
    3.5 tonnes would kill anything .
    Im not bias towards 1 or the other, I have both. But alot of people arent giving much credit to the petrols.

Your trying to compare and engine with 20 to 1 compression and turbo'd, to a n/a 10 to 1 petrol. If we are talking about total dollars spent. Ive seen it before. But people are just too scared to take a risk. TRD make a supercharger for the 4.7 bolt on, computer ready, the works. (Its made by toyota for that engine!!!!!) In the states it doesnt even void the warantee
    We dont get ALOT of cr@p in this country... Thats why people make the choice straight to diesel. And Im sure its done purposely to drive the prices of diesels up.
    Did you know that the 4.5 petrol came out with a factory turbo and supercharger in japan??
    http://www.toyotaparts4u.com/4.7_V8_supercharger.htm
    I would hate to think of how many people would be changing their minds from diesels once they have towed with a smooth, silent, 5 speed automatic, supercharged V8 getting close to the same eco. (Close meaning less, but not by much)
    So the reason people dont choose petrols is because they arent given a choice really. Not that turbo diesels are bad. I love mine.

Ps. Did any of your 80/100 series TD's get 1400k's?
    And I have seen a few blown 4.5td. Something about the clerances in the turbine sending metal fragments into the engine.

Has any one metioned Diesle/Gas ?

I got qouted $3500 for 20% more power and eco. My mate who fits gas has just done his gu patrol and said it make a nice difference until the little lpg tank runs out, then its back to normal .
    It only made 20hp more but thats alot when it was 100hp normally

But again why is gas injection for petrol $2000
    And diesel is $3500??
    Its all basically set up the same apart from diesel having a more basic computer.

Quote Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
    I got qouted $3500 for 20% more power and eco. My mate who fits gas has just done his gu patrol and said it make a nice difference until the little lpg tank runs out, then its back to normal .
    It only made 20hp more but thats alot when it was 100hp normally

But again why is gas injection for petrol $2000
    And diesel is $3500??
    Its all basically set up the same apart from diesel having a more basic computer.
    Because diesel owners are often quietly disappointed in the on road tractability of their diesel, very often they came from a family sized petrol sedan.

I think it's a rip!

cheers fnq

just buy the one ya find in the best nic for the dollars heath. they are pretty much the same in the big picture. n/a diesel will be pretty painful to drive round town. the v8 is under valued and can be bought for bugger all! just let mummy pick the colour!

cheers and good luck

lippa

FNQ - Tell me about it. I made the mistake of asking what mods have been done for best results in hp gains. About 5k min for any kind of waranted gain. The diesel guys came out of the woodwork and started WWIII with eachother and all lie about how much power they are producing. Alot of dodgy shonky stuff going on eg.. 1 guy claims by using his turbo, he gets X amount of gain. Only problem is its an unmarked turbo and he wont say what size anything it is. They all contridict eachother and its soo hard to sort out the BS especially when your trying to learn about diesels as I was.

Its all sorted now though... I have a good plan for my 1hdt