Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hogs Breath Cafe 18 hr steak

Re: Hogs Breath Cafe 18 hr steak

Is the Big green Egg bigger than an 18.5 inch WSM?

I did get myself a couple of drums to make a UDS , Its a work in progress

Depends which model and what we can get in oz, the XL large is 24 inch. the large is 18 inch, i think thats all we can get in Oz
    Tangles KFC

I know some that have ordered the 22" WSM through amazon, The dollar is right.
    You might like to investigate Treager wood pellet BBQ,s. Might suit you better than a ranch.
    There is now a OZ distributor. Will try to find it for you.
    There is also a boiler maker in Melbourne that makes a beaut off set wood smoker for a $1.1k

Hogs breath roll the rib fillet they get ( looks like it from a bullok that missed muster for a decade or two ) in "Black Jack" or Parisien Essence, it is a food colouring that is basically burnt sugar. They then wack them into their "Alto Sham" ovens at about 300 degress for about 10 min and then it holds the temp at a just barely legal temp. A hot box in a takeaway would be hotter. In my opinion and mine alone it is one of the most awful steakes you can get, don't get me started on the rest of the operation.

Quote Originally Posted by pog mo hoin View Post
    Hogs breath roll the rib fillet they get ( looks like it from a bullok that missed muster for a decade or two ) in "Black Jack" or Parisien Essence, it is a food colouring that is basically burnt sugar. They then wack them into their "Alto Sham" ovens at about 300 degress for about 10 min and then it holds the temp at a just barely legal temp. A hot box in a takeaway would be hotter. In my opinion and mine alone it is one of the most awful steakes you can get, don't get me started on the rest of the operation.
    tread carefully mate, sounds like you've worked in a store. hope you didnt sign an employee non-disclosure agreement. few people have been in hot water recently

Quote Originally Posted by flybloke View Post
    The best way to learn this without taking into account the way the seppos do real Q,
    In an oven:
    Lamb
    You will need a big crock pot with lid.
    On the stove top, Heat up some oil and quikly surface sear the pre garlic and rosemary stuffed leg. Set aside.
    You are only colouring the leg at this stage.
    Take the pot off the heat (You oven will be preheated to 110 Deg C)
    Into the pot pour 250 ml chicken or veal stock, 250ml white wine, and what ever lambi herbs you like.
    Place leg back into stock then into the oven.
    Go away and leave it alone for seven hours.
    Come home, Open it up and scream "Bloody haleua"
    You dont "slice this" You pull it
    Edit, Forgot to mention, Before sear colouring the leg, heavily salt it. Slow cooking also renders salt and it needs to be added. (Hence the stock)
    Another way to overcome this is to brine the leg overnight in a solution of 1TBP salt per litre of water. The leg must be fully covered with brine so that osmosis can happen, Throw a few cloves of garlic and rosmary in there, Osmosis will get the flavour RIGHT through the meat.
    Believe me, Do this you will never look back.

When you say crock pot, is that the same as a slow cooker?
    Better known as a crock pot.
    If so or not would the slow cooker do a good jod?????

Swampman,
    An electric purpose made "Slow Cooker" will doo the Job.
    It just means you will have to sear/Brown the leg in another large pot of some sort. Then transfer it the the slow cooker machien.
    I just use a Le cruset dutch oven type thing. It goes from stove top into the oven.
    Just make sure the slow cooker is set at 100 deg C and let it cook all day or over night.

Mate,
    Can you quantifie the "Barely Legal Temp" for the record?
    I may be able to change your thinking and also explain a few things to the punters.
    Without true facts, Non of what you have written is a bad thing or a good thing.
    If not (no facts, Temps ect) , Its just all bull shit.

No, never worked in one, I know a fella who used too. He states that the hold temp was approx 86 degreees C. He worked for them for some time and had a nasty departure. So maybe the info is tainted, But he did leave the establishment about 3yrs ago, after several years with them, so i believe what he says. That is all the info at this point, if more appears I will share, But I still am not a fan of the fare at these places, just not my cup of tea I'm afraid.

No, never worked in one, I know a fella who used too. He states that the hold temp was approx 86 degreees C. He worked for them for some time and had a nasty departure. So maybe the info is tainted, But he did leave the establishment about 3yrs ago, after several years with them, so i believe what he says. That is all the info at this point, if more appears I will share, But I still am not a fan of the fare at these places, just not my cup of tea I'm afraid.
    well that temp is not correct either way.

Quote Originally Posted by iqarus View Post
    well that temp is not correct either way.
    in what way ???

There is nothing wrong with cooking a steak in this way, Although Holding it at 86 Deg is a bit high and I doubt that is the temp they hold them at, I can do it at 66 IE , The oven never gets over 66 Deg (Or below)
    With this temp, The meat will not brown, So a molasses rub and a flaming from a gas torch prior to "Holding" , will get the colour.
    Hold for 7-10-18hrs, Doesn't matter. The meat is red raw in colour but totally cooked through?????
    I think its about time I put up a "Fish" dish.

Now that would be good Flybloke....need some more fish dishes. I am almost thinking about resorting to putting some stir fry recipes up...just to keep the board going.

Greg

66 is about human body temp, you may as well put the meat under your armpit, I was alwas led to believe that a higher temp for a shorter period of time is the best way of killing most bacteria. But I am but a simple man

haha, I can see it now, a family BBQ and Pog is walking around with a big rump steak under his armpit to cook it, I hate to think how a sausage is cooked though!!!