Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hogs Breath Cafe 18 hr steak

Re: Hogs Breath Cafe 18 hr steak

You are all talking TWO different types of cooking, Grilling (I like rare for the good stuff). And then there is slow cooking of which I use a smoker.
    Mrs Ronnie, You are half right about it being almost a stew. It was meant to be an intro learning curve as suggested.
    It holds together and when done, You pull the meat apart. There are no dry bits. The whole thing tastes like the shank. Once a cook learns to do this well, Then they can try more challenging meats and progress to new ways and equipment of producing such.
    I don't mind you rubbishing company's like hogs breath, But I was taken aback by your comments on my 7 hr lamb suggestion. Something you have never done???
    It is a standard in the restaurant industry
    There is a whole new world out there that is different to the 60's style roast leg of lamb.
    I am a member of the Australian BBQ Association. And we endeavour to teach one by one, The true way to get restaurant quality at home.
    One snag burner at a time, We convert them

Its all good

Quote Originally Posted by flybloke View Post
    You are all talking TWO different types of cooking, Grilling (I like rare for the good stuff). And then there is slow cooking of which I use a smoker.
    Mrs Ronnie, You are half right about it being almost a stew. It was meant to be an intro learning curve as suggested.
    It holds together and when done, You pull the meat apart. There are no dry bits. The whole thing tastes like the shank. Once a cook learns to do this well, Then they can try more challenging meats and progress to new ways and equipment of producing such.
    I don't mind you rubbishing company's like hogs breath, But I was taken aback by your comments on my 7 hr lamb suggestion. Something you have never done???
    There is a whole new world out there that is different to the 60's style roast leg of lamb.
    I am a member of the Australian BBQ Association. And we endeavour to teach one by one, The true way to get restaurant quality at home.

Its all good
    LOL @ snag burner...I cremate..I do not burn.. I am a non event as a cook.

Now as for the slow cooked tucker..anything resembling a stew I avoid like the plague..i grew up eating crap like stewing chops..yuck...turned me off anything like that for life.

Cant please everybody
    I feel sorry for you, what doo you eat?

Sorry to all the people out there that have not tried a slow cooked steak, when you get a good one you could cut it with a spoon, and then the steak just melts in your mouth, tastes nothing like a stew. The other place that I have had a good steak like this is the surf club at Mooloolaba. I'm with you Flyboke there is a whole new world out there for your taste buds to enjoy

I dont like slow cooked meat because you Shouldnt have to slow cook good meat. Why waste top dollar on good meat to cook it to death ? I like steak red and lamb pink so it's useless to me. As for hogs Breath, Save your money and go buy a real steak and cook it right, not all night.

I have done heaps of slow cooked meats - yes there is an occasion for that, but I don't agree with using premium steaks for the purpose. Why use a top class premium steak for slow cooking and rendering?

I stick to slow cooking cheap cuts of meat, which can be made to be extraordinary through slow cooking.

cheers

reckon we should up the ante, try a 30 hour chilli cook, i did once...never again...didnt leave the WC for a week?...toilet rolls in the freezer where in vain.
    Tangles KFC

Quote Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
    I have done heaps of slow cooked meats - yes there is an occasion for that, but I don't agree with using premium steaks for the purpose. Why use a top class premium steak for slow cooking and rendering?

I stick to slow cooking cheap cuts of meat, which can be made to be extraordinary through slow cooking.

cheers
    Oh too true, True Blue
    I would not normally render a rib steak(But it does fill the criteria). But I will smoke up the off cut rib on the bone.
    $5.99 a kg, what a beaut.
    I like a whole chuck roast($7.99 kg, cooked for,,,,,, well until it renders with QLD bush nut smoke wood.
    or a whole pork neck (Butt) at about 12.99 kg is the king of my faves.
    Ribs are dear and a treat. But pork belly (whole spare) is also cheap when cooked as a whole cut for hours until that magic 195F

Just remember everyone, This isn't a contest. Someone asked and I answered about that rib cut. Not how much it will cost
    You cannot Knowingly say its crap if you have never done it or had it cooked for you. Done right its bloody divine.

My first hogs breath slow cooked steak was one of the best I had ever eaten, the second time I had one it was ordinary which was a shame and haven't been back, I might give a big chunk of budget meat a try soon.

cheers fnq

I agree with fly. Slow cooked lamb, pork etc etc is sooo good. I also like a good medium rare steak as well. Both great ways to have a feed. I am not too keen on slow cooked steak ala Hogs Breath though. A lump of meat should pull apart and a steak should still bleed a little. Thems the rules in my kitchen although not all my slow cooked attempts have been a success.

Pinhead, you sound a bit like my wife - she grew up in a house with food cooked a particular way, and had formed opinions about various forms of foods etc etc.
    I grew up in my parent's restaraunt and didn't have a choice about learning to cook.
    Cooking (chefing) is just a trade like any other - approach cooking like that - there are some very basic rules and guidelines and the rest falls into place.
    I reckon any 'tradesman' could turn your 'pyrolisation practices' around in a weekend or two - just have to keep an open mind and forget what you've been taught. A book like 'practical professional cookery' would help. It's a trade based book that apprentice chefs use - like the little red roofing book that chippies use. No bullshit, no magic just simple steps to a specific outcome.

As for Hog's breath - YUK!! I switched from sika to another building product years ago because the rep only had a Hog's breath card.

I am in a bit of a dilemma at my place, my wife likes her steak cooked untill it is not recognisable as meat, and can only be cut with an axe (or maybe a small angle grinder) I like mine pinkish to red in the middle, my son only has light pink, my son inlaw is strictly a well done, my daughter is a cremated but not black, so I have to cook all sorts of meat at different times, time putting them on the BBQ to perfection, so they are all ready at the same time, jesus what a nightmare that is, and Hogsbreath is not all that flash either I reckon, and quite expensive for what you get!

Quote Originally Posted by flybloke View Post

Its all good
    My comments were not meant to offend but obviously they have.
    Each to their own style of cooking i suppose.
    As for my 1960's style of cooking-- well my nan first taught me to cook on a wood stove, in a wood oven and call me traditional but i wouldn't have it any other way. I can cook my lamb for alot less time and it doesn't need to be cut nor is it dry. Same for my roast beef.

Don't get me wrong learning new ways of cooking is great and i am open to trying anything-- will endevour to do a slow cooked lamb and compare it with my traditional cooking method.
    Do you use a camp oven at all-- That is pretty awesome for lamb.

Grant--- Glad to hear you are all well. Will PM you and we will all have to catch up.

Ronnie

I have been spoilt..mum (she was a great cook but due to financial constraints some of the cuts of meats were a bit average) did all the cooking when I was growing up hence I never went near a stove or oven ...then wife has done all the cooking since..mainly 'cos I cannot cook a thing. Why can't you buy lamb's brains anymore ????

You can buy lambs brains Pinhead. A simple request to your local butcher will produce the results. (they are not usually displayed in the counter). Perhaps TT can confirm this. The only places that seem to have various offal on display seem to be the major supermarkets...and there is no way I would buy it off them. Your 'local bloke' will have it fresh in the cold room, or to order next day.

(and order some lambs fry while your at it)

Greg