Thread: Crab Thieves Sarina

Crab Thieves Sarina

Today I have had 3 crab pots cut and 2 with the cable ties cut to gain entry,out of 8 pots. When i say cut, they have cut one of the 2 strings that go completely around the pot to gain access, Maybe 2 different Thieves. You would be safe to say I have lost at least 5 Crabs of legal size, This was at Rocky Dam Creek Sarina Qld within the last 24hrs, as i may not have noticed the cut string on the previous check, Is there an answer to this Problem, Not Happy Col Sarina...................
    Reel Men Smoke Abu

Re: Crab Thieves Sarina

one would love to get a hold of a water proof hand grenade, loop the first couple of inches of the rope connected to the pot around the firing pin, mark the float saying in bold letters "I DARE YOU TO STEAL MY CRABS"!

Dreams are free............

Pedro Jnr

I don't own a single crab pot, and until I actually get shown how to handle a crab properly, I won't. That said, I've read on here a couple of times of people putting small hooks in the crab pot line, down towards the pot itself, so that the thief will get a bunch of hooks in their hand when pulling the pots in. Of course, you need to remember that they're there yourself, lest you suffer the same fate.

Cable ties cut , yeah probably thieves but I reckon crabs have learnt to break those strings that go round to make the entry holes. Quite often I find them cut and I know for sure no thieves have been to blame.
    I'm going to get some clothes line wire and replace the entry hole strings with them.
    at least they only stole your crabs and not the whole pot
    THE POOR MAN ALWAYS PAYS TWICE

Hi col some times i use metal twine so the avg knife carnt cut them , but know i find when i use them the pricks just cut a whole in the net!! destroy the whole trap ,
    Fisheries need to pull there finger outa there asses and friends asses and do more micro chipped crabs and scan every boats crab . It soon would spread the word and then wouldnt be worth the risk of checking other people pots .
    Craig

sorry double post

Yes, whilst I am not a crabber, only a fisho, stealing is stealing.

It's not just "fair game" I also fish at Rocky Dam Creek and often wonder about the security of the place. It's a fairly isolated boat ramp. And being isolated the theives probably think there's no one about. But it is visited by the Fisheries, in fact only a few weeks ago they were there pulling everyone up and checking their eskies etc.

Unless the crab (exhibit "A") is marked in some way, the chances of someone being caught is fairly remote, unless a person is actually caught redhanded checking someone else's pots.

Steve

Had the same thing happen at 1770 a few years ago, thought it was some thieving mongrel! Turned out the pots were high and dry at low tide and and birds were getting into them. I've heard about dingos doing the same thing.

I agree with you crabman, problem is they only seem to look after the pros on an ocassion and bugger the rest, We all pay taxes so I want more bang for my buck.

Peter

probley the local pro.i know the one in the pine does

Hey Swany thats a big old stab in the dark , a bit unfair to man . It could of been just as likley kevin 07 pulled his traps !!

crab man i know where your comming from big call probley sounds a bit one sided and a bit harch on the fella as i dont know what happens up there up there.but i have had mine done in the pine by the pro and im not the only one.

yeah no doubt there are ass hole pro's that do it , should but him into the dpi mate