Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DUMB Question - Morten Bay

Re: DUMB Question - Morten Bay

Another option is further south down through the Jumpinpin area, its very sheltered and is a great place for fishing cruising or just pulling up on a beach and lazing swimming and generally relaxing! Get a copy of Beacon to Beacon and go for it there are heaps of places to explore. My general rule is anything beyond 15 knots is a stay at home day for the Bay.

Cheers
    Scott
    "Mystique" Haines Signature 580BR with 175 of Mr Suzuki's finest ponies

I used to have a 4.3 mtr glass boat, and generally found it OK up to 15 knots. Even 20 knots was OK in the afternoon, provided that the wind was going in the same direction I was on the return trip home. Example was from Manly to Mud Island or Harries Artificial reef where typically the wind would swing N/NE in the afternoon.

A very respected service centre told me however that my outboard showed evidence of too much salt spray - fair amount of surface rust as a result. Once we had checked that nothing was causing excessive spray behind the boat, we concluded that I was pushing my boat in ordinary conditions, slowing down to a snail pace which causes a large rooster tail just behind the motor. Too much ingestion of salt spray is obviously detrimental to the health of your motor. That is another reason why it is important to learn how to plan your trips.

Scalem

I have to be honest. I'm not too keen on the bay either.!!

I have had some great days (only a few) on the bay , But,,, it does get rough very quickly.
    As Argyle said. Go mfor a run to atleast the "Pin"or to the goldy. Much friendlier conditions.

19 times out of 20 I would rather the extra drive to the Goldy than to put up with the Bay.
    Yes , I am gutless

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgy_Back View Post
    I have to be honest. I'm not too keen on the bay either.!!

I have had some great days (only a few) on the bay , But,,, it does get rough very quickly.
    As Argyle said. Go mfor a run to atleast the "Pin"or to the goldy. Much friendlier conditions.

19 times out of 20 I would rather the extra drive to the Goldy than to put up with the Bay.
    Yes , I am gutless
    Sensible not gutless. If in doubt ... DON'T

Hi Breeze,

There are lots of us girls here that love our fishing, have our own boat, and are definately NOT butch....(maybe not a prissy girly type either)....lol

Anyhow, I was up there last Sept in my 4m hornet, in 20-40 Northerly winds....whew what a week! First day was glass (we based ourselves at Wellington Point, figured it was in the middle and would let us either way in the bay) and headed to Peel, the trip home was certainly an eyeopener!

Anyhow after the first day, we got used to it - and because we had driven 7hrs to get there, wasnt going to let a little wind slow us down.

As others have said, look at the forecast, if it is a northerly predicted, head that direction early so you can come back with the wind, not into it. We also found we could duck around the back of green, St Helena etc on the way back from mud island for a bit of protection.

As you spend more time in the bay and your boat, you will come to know what is comfortable and safe for your family.
    Wello boat ramp has no sandy beach or pontoon to leave the boat, while you pack the kids into the boat, get the car etc, so I personally wouldnt recommend that one.

Good luck to you and the many happy memories your family will have from time spent together on the water.

Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by castlemaine View Post
    Sensible not gutless. If in doubt ... DON'T

Safety First !!! and yeah I think a very sensible decision
    Shut Up and Eat Fish !!
    ..... Love My Haines Hunter .....

Quote Originally Posted by Bear001 View Post
    Hi Breeze,

There are lots of us girls here that love our fishing, have our own boat, and are definately NOT butch....(maybe not a prissy girly type either)....lol
    YIKES... I meant no offence as I am sure you realise
    Thanks for the post - our friends can't believe the boat is mine (hubby wants a catamaran (sp?) as that's what he grew up on) - got my license about a year ago but have only driven it in the river. Will leave driving in the bay upto Hubby

We're gonna try Redland Bay area next trip - and a PLANNED trip as recommended. Thanks to everyone for your hints & tips - greatly appreciated!!
    Sharen
    Shut Up and Eat Fish !!

Hi Sharen,

the only dumb question is the one u don't ask. Glad to hear u guys are enjoying ur Haines, a beautiful little model.

Reddy Bay ramp is my local so if I may, a few hints to help u on a safe (and happy) boating day. I would suggest u use the far right lane if u can (the one closest to the ASR). This lane has gravel on the end of the concrete, but the other lanes unfortunately don't. There is a fairly big dropoff u need to avoid. If u look alone the rock walls each side of the ramp u will see white lines painted (towards the top). These lines indicate the end of the concrete. Of course, if ur launching or retrieveing on anything say half tide or higher, its not a problem regardless of which lane u use.

Take ur Charts or Becon to Becon, there's plenty of waterways (and sand banks) to explore from Reddy Bay and always an Island or two to duck behind for cover if needed.

Cheers and have a great day,
    Tony
    Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people seem Bright ...... untill they speak

i usually launch at wello point but the last two days have been horrible, so sunday i put in at a small ramp at thornside maybe 12-15 car spots... its between wello and manly for reference sake.
    Couldnt go out in the bay with that northerly but the creek there was fun to explore and throw a line in for shits n giggles. 5 days ago by seabreeze weather suggested monday was looking good until about saturday so i expected it to be a no go today,i arrived at wello point at 4:15 with massive winds and a nod off while i waited for the daily update. Screw this back to thornside and i'll putt around the creek again.......until it died down and went to leeside of green and out the front of king island, not alot of fish though, i used the opportunity to try some plastics, right or wrong im no rex hunt it beats sitting at home.
    watch that thornside ramp though. the creek can get that you cant get out or in on those really low tides as ive been warned

Thanks Heaps !!!
    We're gonna try Redland Bay boat ramp this weekend (weather permitting) ... shame we can't go out mid week but someone has to work =) so will be getting the Beacon to Beacon out tomorrow night for some study & plan making ....
    Can't wait .. only 4 more days
    Shut Up and Eat Fish !!

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

have a look at jacobs well to some nice spots out the jumpinpin for the kids on the beaches and some good fishing to you can pump yabbies or net some bait the water is nice and clean (have a look)
    tight lines hilly

Quote Originally Posted by BREEZE470 View Post
    Thanks Heaps !!!
    We're gonna try Redland Bay boat ramp this weekend (weather permitting) ... shame we can't go out mid week but someone has to work =) so will be getting the Beacon to Beacon out tomorrow night for some study & plan making ....
    Can't wait .. only 4 more days
    You will have a tough time between now and Febuary!! Great weather for exploring esturies and learning how boats behave in less than desirable weather. If you get a chance, stick your nose out into the rough stuff a little. Does not have to be far, a few hundred metres. You will get used to it in no time and its good practice for when the bay turns to shit on you (trust me, it happens quick sometimes).

General Course of the Day:
    Starting at the North ramp at Victoria Point
    · Head north around Coochiemudlo Island and try our luck at Banana Banks
    · then over to Wallen Wallen & try fishing between there & Blaksleys
    · then go further south and loop around the bottom of Lamb island & Macleay Island
    · just past the end of Karragarra Island head over to Pannikin Island
    · then head home up between Pannikin & Garden Islands, go left around Snipe Island and back to Victoria Point

Not aiming for a huge day of fishing but thought we'd get around and see a few things - what do you reckon?
    Shut Up and Eat Fish !!

Another one you could try is launch at Whytes island ramp up near the brisbane port terminal and go south east in the channel. Then nip over towards St Helena island and try for some whiting in the shallows between St Helena and the island. There should be others there to show the area to fish. Then if the day turns out perfect, you could make a run for Tangalooma being aware of the weather predictions for the afternoon. The south west return trip should be pretty good in any north easterly wind. Take a snorkel, flippers and gloves (so you can touch the barnacled wrecks) or just pull up at any of the western beaches on the island for a swim in the shallows.

Just trying to keep in mind the safety of the youngest deckie

Cheers
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Angla View Post
    Another one you could try is launch at Whytes island ramp up near the brisbane port terminal and go south east in the channel. Then nip over towards St Helena island and try for some whiting in the shallows between St Helena and the island. There should be others there to show the area to fish. Then if the day turns out perfect, you could make a run for Tangalooma being aware of the weather predictions for the afternoon. The south west return trip should be pretty good in any north easterly wind. Take a snorkel, flippers and gloves (so you can touch the barnacled wrecks) or just pull up at any of the western beaches on the island for a swim in the shallows.

Just trying to keep in mind the safety of the youngest deckie

Cheers
    Chris
    Sounds Good !! and yeah our youngest deckie is only 4 (think she's braver than me but don't tell her cuz she'll laugh)
    Shut Up and Eat Fish !!