Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What have you added to your crumb mix

What have you added to your crumb mix

After reading two dogs thread i was wondering what others add to their crumb mixes. Salt and pepper yeh but anything else interesting. Over the years i have added lemon myrtle which is great, better lemon flavour than lemon. Also kaffir lime leaf, both of these cut into thin strips. The zest from lemons and limes and also tried a few types of chilli. By far my favourite though is the lemon myrtle, every house i have lived in the last few years i have planted one.

Anyone want to share some others.

cheers
    scott

Re: What have you added to your crumb mix

Things i have added to breadcrumbs over the years...note that most of these have been used to crumb chicken and veal...as I am not fond of crumbed fish.

Grated parmesan cheese
    Powdered coriander
    Morrocan spices
    Paprika
    Saffron
    Garlic salt
    Lemon Pepper
    chilli flakes
    ground cumin
    curry powder- different types
    Mustard powder

Come to think of it...i think i have tried every type of dried spice mixed in with breadcrumbs...with varying success

Favourites would have to be the morroccan spices, parmesan cheese and curry powder...but as I said...not on fish.

Greg

Well pretty simple would have to agree with Lemon myrtle or just good fresh ground blackpepper, Lemon pepper.

But for freshwater fish a teaspoon of a very good quality hot curry powder (Prefer Thai or Malaysian), golden the crumbs and helps with the taste of fish. So long as fish is prepared properly in first place.

Struck a bloke who swore by custard powder, but just can't get myself to try that one.

Regards

Trev
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

Hi
    One nice thing is some flaked almonds or macadamia . This gives a nice flavor to fish. Have you tried shredded coconut on your prawns.
    I make my own crumbs too. The commercial ones just don't do it for me.

Ronnie

Thats a fair assortment there Greg. Parmesan is nice on some seafood. I do a parmesan and bread crumb over mushrooms filled with scallops and prawns in a garlic mornay sauce. Very nice.

Custard powder ? not sure myself with that. How about you try it and tell us how it is . I cant have much chilli now as my 4 year old couldnt eat it. He eats as much fish as my wife so we all have the same. Sometimes get to make my own though.

Ronnie,
    The one thing i have been meaning to do for a lot of years is a macadamia crumb over snapper or similar. Is it as simple as flour, egg white then dip in the crushed macca nuts. Also do you have some sort of sauce with it. I have had it once on Barra and loved it but never tried making it. Also have to try the coconut on prawns. Both are great ways to eat fish and prawns.

Scott

Hi
    I have had macadamia nuts on Barra as well at it works quite well. The coconut prawns are yummo.
    As for sauces I am a pretty plain chef -- old school as some would say so I tend not to overdo things with fancy sauces and the like. A squeeze of lemon or lime works well for me and a salad using italian dressing.

Snapper works well with a ginger and tomato stuffing or just crumbed for me. Have heard it comes up ok with the nut crumb though. Would have to be my favorite saltwater fish.

Ronnie

This is Peter Russel Clarks fake KFC recipe, supposed to be VERY close! don't know the quantities but they might be equals.

Kentucky fried crumbed fish!

I make no claims on how it will suit fish but I do like KFC

· Oregano
    · Chilli
    · Sage
    · Basil
    · Marjoram
    · Pepper
    · Salt
    · Paprika
    · Onion
    · Garlic

cheers fnq

ill second (or third) the crushed macadamias,great on wild barra with a chili and mango salsa, and as for crumbs, has anyone tried, or uses cornflake crumbs? i think theyre called "crumbies???" possibly. if you havent ried them, you should. so much more tastier thaan normal bread crumbs. and yeah most powdered spices, combined in the right mix are great.
    "izzz izzz izzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"... sounds of heaven.

"You're gonna need a bigga esky!"

a half half mix of shredded coconut and crumbs goes great with whiting fillets

This fellow i know crumbs his fish with
    wait for it ?
    Cornflakes
    I tried it its quite nice.
    he crushes them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Spin View Post
    This fellow i know crumbs his fish with
    wait for it ?
    Cornflakes
    I tried it its quite nice.
    he crushes them up.
    mate use corn grit i cant think of what they cal it pelenta of something like that..
    throw in a little curry powder also but dont go over board with it.

Hi
    My nan used to use cornflakes. She also used weetbix and she used to put the stale bread in the oven until it was golden in color and crush that up.

Do you guys make your own crumbs or go for the bought ones.
    I always make my own as i think they are better.

Ronnie

I think i really have to try corn flakes crushed up. I kmow a few people that rekon its damn good. I have used polenta before and it was good but didnt give a crunchy coat for me. I have a few flattie fillets in the freezer from a recent trip so will try it with them and also with some coconut.
    FNQs KFC mix with crushed corn flakes added to it would be a pretty good copy of KFC but i am not sure about it with fish. Might try it on some chicken though.

What would be the closest to wild barra for us south of the border to try the maccas on. I have no shortage of macca nuts down this way but the barra might take me longer to get lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Ronnie H View Post
    Hi
    My nan used to use cornflakes. She also used weetbix and she used to put the stale bread in the oven until it was golden in color and crush that up.

Do you guys make your own crumbs or go for the bought ones.
    I always make my own as i think they are better.

Ronnie
    Have done my own bread crumbs before and they were better but i generlly just use bought ones to save time. I dont know what brand my wife gets but they are allright.

Quote Originally Posted by FNQCairns View Post
    This is Peter Russel Clarks fake KFC recipe, supposed to be VERY close! don't know the quantities but they might be equals.

Kentucky fried crumbed fish!

I make no claims on how it will suit fish but I do like KFC

· Oregano
    · Chilli
    · Sage
    · Basil
    · Marjoram
    · Pepper
    · Salt
    · Paprika
    · Onion
    · Garlic

cheers fnq
    That is missing the eleventh spice??
    I know what it is (or I think I do)
    Wanna know? It will blow your mind when you find out considering what this site is