Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parked in... can't get the boat out !

Parked in... can't get the boat out !

Since buying the boat and moving it from the folks place (bigger yard) to our inner suburbian house, we've had issues with people parking out front and blocking the boat in. It's behind a gated fence which opens up onto the footpath.

Our application for a second driveway for our house just got knocked back by the Council (Bris. CC). Apparently it wouldn't leave enough room for people to park in the street as there's already numerous driveways in our section. Also we've only got a 10m frontage.

So it's back to putting a sign out the night before and hoping that it doesn't either a) get ignored and parked in anyway or b) some helpful jogger / walker / cyclist leaves my sign & rope in a neat little pile beside our letterbox

Anyone taken matters into their own hands to get around this problem (eg. spray painting a big "NO PARKING" in yellow on the road)? Maybe I would then be charged with graffiti

Re: Parked in... can't get the boat out !

Maybe park one of your own cars out there the night before, then you can move it in the morning to let yourself out.

Yeah that's my thought also, almost worth buying a small ultra cheap clunker and keeping it registered and parked

cheers fnq

Cheers guys, that would solve half the problem.

We only have one vehicle and I still need to get the boat back into the yard upon our return.

The other thing I did last weekend was to move the boat out and drive it into our main driveway (effectively parking my car in). Again this solved the problem of actually getting the thing out at least.

The night before you know you are going out, put your bins out on the road, marking a spot big enough to get your boat in and out...Matt

Paint an outline of a body on the road in front of the gates.. then gets some "danger" plastic tape and put on your bins to clear the spot... if you can grab some police tape, would work a treat !!!

Will also work better with some red paint running from the outline :-)

Steve

Do you know them ? If so ask them not to park there , i have similar issues but mine is parked out the front , my neighbour who generaly parks so close he gives me know room to move has now developed an understanding of when i am about to go fishing and clears a path.

Unfortunately it seems to be different people usually. We have a block of flats opposite us that seems to get a lot of visitors over the weekend and our little patch of gutter is the first place they see to park it seems!

But I like the idea of leaving the bins there while we are out in the tub, haven't thought of that one until beefa mentioned it.

Dig yourself out a driveway and fill it with pebble rock and roll it, all will believe it is a driveway, council cannot complain as you have not cut out the curb and for all purposes you hate grass and there is no law to say you have to have grass.so it is a pebble garden. Stick a pot plant on it.

People will see it is a driveway and not park there.

Standard practice on th Gold coast to get round their regulations.

They argued with me once 10 years ago and then agreed it is not driveway. Pebble and 1 potplant constitutes a garden.

Smart people those council people

cheers

We had this in the inner city.

Bought ourselves a old box trailer, nearly bald tyres that doesn't need rego inspections, Piece of ply bolted to the top ( to stop the rubbish) covering a couple of bags of concrete that had gone off then just had a chain to a eyebolt with ring ( no trip hazard) we drilled into the side of the gutter and set with Ramset glue.

Biggest problem was the same mongrel neighbours who would park us in then wanting to borrow the trailer - stuff em.

cheapest $200 bucks you will spend and easy just to unpadlock move by hand 10 feet hitch up and then move it back. Quality chain and decent padlock enclosed in a antitamper pipe cost us more. Old boat trailers are cheap up there!

It's registered and it is legal ( possibly except for the ring in the gutter bit) but if you have a telegraph pole same just don't create a trip hazard.

Quote Originally Posted by cormorant View Post
    We had this in the inner city.

Bought ourselves a old box trailer, nearly bald tyres that doesn't need rego inspections, Piece of ply bolted to the top ( to stop the rubbish) covering a couple of bags of concrete that had gone off then just had a chain to a eyebolt with ring ( no trip hazard) we drilled into the side of the gutter and set with Ramset glue.

Biggest problem was the same mongrel neighbours who would park us in then wanting to borrow the trailer - stuff em.

cheapest $200 bucks you will spend and easy just to unpadlock move by hand 10 feet hitch up and then move it back. Quality chain and decent padlock enclosed in a antitamper pipe cost us more. Old boat trailers are cheap up there!

It's registered and it is legal ( possibly except for the ring in the gutter bit) but if you have a telegraph pole same just don't create a trip hazard.
    A Cheap wheel clamp could work to keep it from being moved.

cheers fnq

My brother used to have that problem when he lived on the sunshine coast, he used to go and bang on the poeples door at 3am and tell them to move there sh#t box car, being about 6'4" and a big ass prison screw proberly helped with the fools not buring up at him

paint a yellow line down the edge of the road near the gutter, like they do, denotes a no parking zone. Dont need signs.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin_Mike View Post
    paint a yellow line down the edge of the road near the gutter, like they do, denotes a no parking zone. Dont need signs.

Mike
    And then wait to fined by the council.
    I have the same problem at my place with railway commuters cars that park on my driveway, and the local council wants nothing to do with it and said its a police matter witch they also do not care .
    So i now just put witches hats out and leave them there all day and adopt the same attitude .
    NOW I,AM GUNNA EATCHA

Put two witches hats there mate..... People will think they are there for a reason, no one moves witches hats!! Try it