Thread: Crabpot raiders in gladstone

Exclamation Crabpot raiders in gladstone

As the crabbing livens up a little, it would seem that the scum are never far behind. Messing around in Calliope, thought i would Put 4 pots out for a couple of hours on saturday night while we had a fish. RAIDED. Threw 6 out this morning, just checked them, not only raided but cut open as well.

anyone have any ideas how we can slow this down a little? thinking about setting pots and spending an uncomfortable, very boring 6 hours hiding in the tinny. A hand grenade tied to a float has also crossed my mind.

Steve

Re: Crabpot raiders in gladstone

I know shat you mean. Had the same thing in Tin Can Bay last Christmas. It always happened after dark and the pots were cut.

I've been thinking that these toe rags have the water and boat in their back yards and dont have to use the boat ramp , where theres crabs theres theives,

I'd really like to see an end of the pot pinching too

I like to see these pricks scuttled and meet David Jones's Locker myself.

this was happening to a mate as well so he took the pot off and tied a brick to each of them with a little note on it saying a couple of differant words(best not repeated).still kept happening so he tied a heap of little hooks up and down the rope.latter on he was back at the ramp because he forgot his tackle bag and guese who turned up screaming and hollering someone with about 10 hooks stuck in there hands.needless to say that wasnt all there problems when he got hold of them ha ha!!

sometimes the pots that get cut are done by the pro's, i had a mate have 6 of his done over by a pro, he saw him on the last one but could not do anythin from where he was. the pro took off at a rate of knots and he could not get the rego either, razor blades up the rope is another one but knowing my luck i would forget, plus there is quite a few legal implications, imagine if it was fisheries checking them out???? i think it would be worth the 6 hours wait. cheers Lee

Quote Originally Posted by lethal098 View Post
    razor blades up the rope is another one but knowing my luck i would forget, plus there is quite a few legal implications, imagine if it was fisheries checking them out????
    Yes certainly is and your pots would look insignificant.

I think it is the mentality of some people. I went crabbing with a bloke once and he had no hesitation in robbing every pot he could find. That was when you could have unlimited pots and crabs.

I believe it is the way society is going. Up you I'm alright and I'll do what I like.

Does anyone know if you HAVE to have a float, or can you sink a pot with 5-8 m of line and a sand anchor? GPS both drops then come back to drag with a reef pick to pic up your line, legal?

New laws state must have a float attached with name or if tied to tree or jetty must still have name tag ect on it people still sink them but don't get caught

shane

How about run some vaso up and down the line... with a brick on the end... would be fun watching them try and pull it up !!!

That or a set of sharks teeth.. the look as Jaws is heading up towards them would be worth gold!!

Steve

steve, yeah i like that idea. would love to see em shit bricks, cheers Lee

Steve unfortunately the Calliope has a bad reputation for this type of thing happening. It's considered amongst locals that if you drop a pot in the calliope they become public property which I think is a low freakin act.

Most people I know of do sit on their pots in the Calliope as it's the only way to stop this happening. I'd be a bit wary setting hooks or razor blades in the line with your details attached to the float or pot. Plus it's an offence against the Criminal Code Act, setting mantraps I think is the section, trust me I once worked in the industry that dealt with such things.

And the way society is now the people who have property stolen and damaged by grubs always seem to come out on the loosing end because the shitbags get all the rights. Definitely more so than average Joe working citizen.

Save yourself the heartache and find somewhere else to put your pots.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by dreemon View Post
    Does anyone know if you HAVE to have a float, or can you sink a pot with 5-8 m of line and a sand anchor? GPS both drops then come back to drag with a reef pick to pic up your line, legal?
    Quote Originally Posted by robersl View Post
    New laws state must have a float attached with name or if tied to tree or jetty must still have name tag ect on it people still sink them but don't get caught

shane
    If it state 15cm float attached ,carnt you still sink it eg weights or bricks.
    Then come back with a reef ancore.
    It still has a float so its still leagal yes or no.

Quote Originally Posted by fbawlgf View Post
    this was happening to a mate as well so he took the pot off and tied a brick to each of them with a little note on it saying a couple of differant words(best not repeated).still kept happening so he tied a heap of little hooks up and down the rope.latter on he was back at the ramp because he forgot his tackle bag and guese who turned up screaming and hollering someone with about 10 hooks stuck in there hands.needless to say that wasnt all there problems when he got hold of them ha ha!!
    Love that....That is sensational
    I CAME INTO THIS WORLD KICKING, SCREAMING AND COVERED IN SOMEONE ELSES BLOOD. I HAVE NO PROBLEM GOING OUT THE SAME WAY.
    NEWBY T.G.

Quote Originally Posted by Member101 View Post
    As the crabbing livens up a little, it would seem that the scum are never far behind. Messing around in Calliope, thought i would Put 4 pots out for a couple of hours on saturday night while we had a fish. RAIDED. Threw 6 out this morning, just checked them, not only raided but cut open as well.

anyone have any ideas how we can slow this down a little? thinking about setting pots and spending an uncomfortable, very boring 6 hours hiding in the tinny. A hand grenade tied to a float has also crossed my mind.

Steve
    As a Gladstonite myself, I would suggest Targinnie Creek It is wide open and seems to have less thieves.
    Also try attatching some snaplock sandwich bags with OIL based paint in them to the pot so as they pull em up the bags hit the boat and the bag is broken. The paint hits the boat and does not come off...Its an old trick we usd to use with balloons and oil paint in WA with our cray pots...Razor blades was the other...Illegal or not, F#$%ck em...
    I CAME INTO THIS WORLD KICKING, SCREAMING AND COVERED IN SOMEONE ELSES BLOOD. I HAVE NO PROBLEM GOING OUT THE SAME WAY.
    NEWBY T.G.