Thread: Depth colours on the navonics card back ass about?

Depth colours on the navonics card in HDS ass about?

I've had the navonics gold card for a while now and it has always seemed strange to me that the shallow water is coloured in a dark blue while the deeper water is coloured in a light blue or white .

I would generally interpret this the other way around (ie. dark means deep) when reading a map and this has almost brought me unstuck a couple of times with the chartplotter!

Does anyone know if these colours can be inverted?

Any one else with the same prob or am I just Retarded
    ps (not meaning any insult to pysically challenged people).
    CHARTER BOAT, WHAT CHARTER BOAT?

Re: Depth colours on the navonics card back ass about?

In settings you can choose whether or not to show shallow areas shaded or not. They will go from green to white.

Re: Depth colours on the navonics card in HDS ass about?

Quote Originally Posted by spearking View Post
    I've had the navonics gold card for a while now and it has always seemed strange to me that the shallow water is coloured in a dark blue while the deeper water is coloured in a light blue or white .

I would generally interpret this the other way around (ie. dark means deep) when reading a map and this has almost brought me unstuck a couple of times with the chartplotter!

Does anyone know if these colours can be inverted?

Any one else with the same prob or am I just Retarded
    ps (not meaning any insult to pysically challenged people).

Well count me in for a white-jacket too.....I would read any map the same way Spearking....

Cind

I cant say I have tried,
    place to look, page 61 of the HDS 8 manual;

menu twice
    chart
    chart data
    navionics
    Chart options menu
    settings
    presentation type.

Regards
    Honda.

Thanks Honda, put my card in my HDS5M today & my colors are backward. Will give it a try. Leigh

Spearking, have you used paper charts before? The colouring system is the same for paper and electronic charts. Remember, it's a chart, not a map, and the differences take a bit of getting used to.

Took me a while to get used to the different colouring system, but I'm used to it now. Funny that the green stuff is potentially dangerous (tidally exposed) and definately stay away from the yellow, unless the boat's on the trailer!

Garmin Bluecharts are the same.... white for deep water, blues for shallower.

so, some of you are Navigating by the colours on a chart?

MARITIME SAFETY QUEENSLAND, Chart GSS2-Edition 3 has dark blue to signify deeper water & getting lighter as it get shallower but AUS818 white is deeper. Leigh

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyS View Post
    Spearking, have you used paper charts before? The colouring system is the same for paper and electronic charts. Remember, it's a chart, not a map, and the differences take a bit of getting used to.

Took me a while to get used to the different colouring system, but I'm used to it now. Funny that the green stuff is potentially dangerous (tidally exposed) and definately stay away from the yellow, unless the boat's on the trailer!

Back to this! 10 yrs later & I’ve just bought a boat with 2 x Lowrance elite units (much to my disgust - don’t ask!) & I cant seem to invert the colours! I know it’s maritime standard, but my brain just doesn’t work like that! Am I seriously the only person that has an issue with this?

Quote Originally Posted by spearking View Post
    Back to this! 10 yrs later & I’ve just bought a boat with 2 x Lowrance elite units (much to my disgust - don’t ask!) & I cant seem to invert the colours! I know it’s maritime standard, but my brain just doesn’t work like that! Am I seriously the only person that has an issue with this?
    Not sure which Navionics version you have on your Lowrance elites, but you have two options in map / chart presentation. Sonic chart overlay changes all sea blue with darker hue for deeper sectons. I don't like it because it makes it too difficult to identify fine detail such as ledges and small dropoffs in the shallows. Alternatively, you can use the fishing ranges function and colour depth ranges to suit your colour palate. I use red for shallows, light green for 2-5M, light blue for 5-20M, deep blue for 20÷M. I find this option works best for me when setting my trolling routes. Lowrance generally use CMap and I think there ia a similar function on this system. There are plenty of "how to" videos on UTube. Cheers SS.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Ausfish mobile app

check your not running the chart plotter in "night Colour " mode as that will swap the colours around as well ( well in garmin it will) spent hrs stuffing around with depth colour shading when all it was that i was running in night colours mode ...... felt like a wally for a bit.

BigE