Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Sunfish to push for rec licence ?

Re: Sunfish to push for rec licence ?

Scott,

, I respect your passion for your beliefs even though i totally 100% disagree, I dont buy the argument and I dont see Sunfish as an option, my view , cant see what they do for the reco fisho and there is no explanation or policy from them unlike Eco.

And as usual perception is reality, and whats the perception of Sunfish's views to reco fishos,, from the forums here it aint great.
    Tangles KFC

Quote Originally Posted by Aigutso View Post
    Scott,

And as usual perception is reality, and whats the perception of Sunfish's views to reco fishos,, from the forums here it aint great.
    I agree that representing the "grass root" angler is a challenging concept - BUT representing the rest of the angling community is no less challenging.

I suggested to Andy that Eco may be the best voice for the grass root angling community & that once this is established with numbers - they align with sunfish to represent them.

Regards Scotto

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Mitchell View Post
    I agree that representing the "grass root" angler is a challenging concept - BUT representing the rest of the angling community is no less challenging.

I suggested to Andy that Eco may be the best voice for the grass root angling community & that once this is established with numbers - they align with sunfish to represent them.

Regards Scotto
    Can I offer a variation on this...... How about Sunfish publicly acknowledge Ecofishers as representing the wishes of the grass roots Rec Fisho..... Makes better sense to me and Sunfish at least could be seen to be reaching out to all rec fishos....

Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Mitchell View Post

Regards Scotto
    So representing a minority group is a chalenging concept?

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

"It is very hard to get an opinion from those who do not communicate with you - why is it Sunfish's - or for that matter any ones job to independently represent your or any other individual ? It is every ones right to voice their opinion however - & if you dont agree I suggest to engage in the discussions."

Sunfish makes the bold claim that they represent all rec anglers:

"Representing all recreational anglers as well as members"

straight from their website.
    therefore if they make that claim then they should make the effort to find out what the majority of those anglers want.

A question for Ecofishers...will you at any time be joining Sunfish as a member group?

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    A question for Ecofishers...will you at any time be joining Sunfish as a member group?
    At this point in time it is very unlikely. The whole idea of ECOFishers is to also remain free of government funding so that there can be no influence when it comes to publishing submissions. Until such time as sunfish becomes truly independant I dont beleive there is a place for ECOFishers in their organisation.

Andy (or Tim,Chris) can you tell me how many members Eco Qld has now?
    Cheers

Mike

in the last 6 months we have grown to just under 1000 from a standing start and really only using ausfish as our communication medium. Now with our membership to Marine Qld, we expect that to grow significantly over the coming years.

So not quite the numbers that other groups have but pretty good from nothing.
    Cheers,
    Chris

Wow, I cant help but say I am gobsmacked by the arrogance displayed here. I have been watching this with interest to see where it would go.

I understand Ecofishers are strongly opposed to the introduction of a licensing scheme from what I can gather and rightly so. As PinHead pointed out, Sunfish claim to be a representative of the general rec fishing fraternity however, they are now advocating a notion that I believe would be widely opposed by the average fisho.

Yet, Sunfish have the gall to put forward an idea that a group representing the average fisho align with a group that is, in reality, the opposition.

Who are you trying to fool Scott??

I too believe it will happen. There will be a shameless propaganda seeking advertising campaign illustrating how we will all benefit from this without any consultation with a group that represents the average Joe Sixpack.

It reeks, its wrong, and I hope the members of Sunfish realise what their organisation stands for and they jump ship.

Shane

It seems like there is a bit of arrogance displayed from both sides of the argument. Which is exactly why the average joe fisherman will always get screwed......I doubt if i will ever see in my lifetime a united front from the fishing movement while the sort of disunity that is on evidence on this FISHING forum takes place. Ecofishers just adds a number to the groups claiming to represent the 'grass roots' fisho. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that every one who is a passionate member of any of the groups mentioned as being representative of the fishing community, is trying to do the right thing. The problem is there are no CLEAR solutions based on science (any science that is brought to the table will be discredited by the body that DIDNT commision it). We all know that the Greens want fishing banned. We all know that the general fishing public just want to soak a line. Some of us (and look at the relativity of that statement) are VERY enthusiastic fishos...be it tournament or rec. Ecofishers is starting off exactly the way all the other organisations have started off....a group of passionate people intent on representing their points of view to the PTB (Powers That Be). The in fighting that I have witnessed in this, and other threads, on this same subject (but with different thread names) leaves me shaking my head and wondering if there ever will come a day when ALL bodies claiming to represent the 'average' fisho will agree on anything. Meanwhile the Greenies and PEW are laughing all the way to the next election.

Not criticising any organisation, just offering an observation.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneC View Post
    Wow, I cant help but say I am gobsmacked by the arrogance displayed here. I have been watching this with interest to see where it would go.

I understand Ecofishers are strongly opposed to the introduction of a licensing scheme from what I can gather and rightly so. As PinHead pointed out, Sunfish claim to be a representative of the general rec fishing fraternity however, they are now advocating a notion that I believe would be widely opposed by the average fisho.

Yet, Sunfish have the gall to put forward an idea that a group representing the average fisho align with a group that is, in reality, the opposition.

Who are you trying to fool Scott??

I too believe it will happen. There will be a shameless propaganda seeking advertising campaign illustrating how we will all benefit from this without any consultation with a group that represents the average Joe Sixpack.

It reeks, its wrong, and I hope the members of Sunfish realise what their organisation stands for and they jump ship.

Shane

Shane - Sunfish DO NOT ADVOCATE a general rec license - THEY HAVE VOTED TO DISCUSS the pro's & con's of the "option" to source alternative funding to manage Qld fisheries in to the future.

Sunfish - endeavors to represent the rec anglers & associated members - who wish to engage with them. You can't represent an individual or group if you are not a member or in some way aligned with them ?

To say Eco is in opposition - is exactly what Greg has said above

Divided - we'll never see change & continue to loose access to our fishing.

Regards Scotto

This is really shabby. The very question floated in the "poll" was loaded and now this...clearly the plan was to garner support and allow the results to be used to show Government the collective"we" were ready for a rec license. Had the poll ever been a simple do you want a rec license...Yes or No..it would have been a very large majority NO.

I find myself quiet disgusted with the elitist attitude on display and typical paternalistic....we know what's best for you plebs!

A rec license will, just as it has done everywhere else, just stop people fishing. It will stop people starting, stop people who are occassional fishos from spur of the moment days out...stop Dads taking the kids.

The "industry" should be horrified.

I keep reading the same crap about how it will make fishing better, get rid of the pros, improve this and that...maybe even solve global warming

We have enough management regimes in place already to do this....closed ares, bag limits, slot sizes, closed seasons, TAC's for Pros, green zones, yellow zones,pink zones, go slow zones, no take species..........how much more management do they F^#@ need.

If they can't "save the fishery" with some combination of all the tools they already have, how is ripping some more $$ out of my pocket going to help?

Here's my pledge. NEVER. I would rather pay $500 a year in fines than ever pay for the "right" to just go bloody fishing. I don't even give a sh*^ if I don't catch anything...just leave me a f*(*^lone and never will Sunfish represent me.

KC

Just add me to what KC has said. Saves a lot of typing.

I'll also add, back on the first few pages of the previous marathon thread on this topic, I mentioned the NT has no licencing, very few other restrictions, and still runs the best managed recreational fishery in Aus.

Scott, Why aren't you licence pushers looking to that model for guidance to improve our fishery instead pushing the NSW system you believe we all need ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    Just add me to what KC has said. Saves a lot of typing.

I'll also add, back on the first few pages of the previous marathon thread on this topic, I mentioned the NT has no licencing, very few other restrictions, and still runs the best managed recreational fishery in Aus.

Scott, Why aren't you licence pushers looking to that model for guidance to improve our fishery instead pushing the NSW system you believe we all need ?
    Yes the proof is in the pudding...put simply a distinct lack of fishery related power hungry government officials...they must breath a different brand of oxygen up there or something.

cheers fnq