Thread: What Lure ?

What Lure ?

If you are down to your last $25 what lure would you buy and why.

Re: What Lure ?

If its for Barra you are talking about Gav it would probably have to be a packet of hollow bellies or squiggies and some backbone jigheads. Reason being they are consistent producers, can be worked at all depths and you get a few in a packet so if I snag up or get snapped off, its not all over. - Richard

For $25 I might just be able to buy two 125cm scorpions, 5 metre bib attached

I might get a bit skinnier but wouldn't starve.

edit the why: good depth, nice wobble and not overly noisey

I think I'd buy a feed rather than a lure. Probably a Steak and Bacon Pie, a Sausage Roll, some overpriced tomato sauce satchels a coupla bucks worth of chips and a chocolate Breaka. Then I'd have the strength to dig some worms and catch a Bass.

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebasser View Post
    I think I'd buy a feed rather than a lure. Probably a Steak and Bacon Pie, a Sausage Roll, some overpriced tomato sauce satchels a coupla bucks worth of chips and a chocolate Breaka. Then I'd have the strength to dig some worms and catch a Bass.
    Yum! arteries going all hard thinking about it

With my last $25 I could afford 2 lures.

1. TILSAN "Big Barra" in the Green Mackerel pattern
    2. Rob Gadon 12cm Classic Barra in the reflective gold/black pattern

Why? Cos I've caught more barra & black bass with those two lures than any other lure. Other lures work too of course but the above couple stand out.

If I was only allowed one, I'd probably go the Tilsan. Once at Suki, I landed 13 good barra in 35mins with one of those and over the weekend the very same lure hooked quite a few black bass and more barra.

It was well chewed by the end of the weekend and I should've framed it. But, on the next trip I lent it to a mate who promptly lost it within three casts..##!!?

The Tilsan Green Mackerel lures might look a bit on the flimsy, ordinary side - but they work! They are balsa wood suspending lures - no rattles inside.

I've tried other Tilsan patterns but the success rate of the green mackerel is head & shoulders above the rest.
    "...a voice in my head keeps telling me to go fishing..."

PNG1M it sounds like you you would have to stand behind a tree to put that lure on or be attacked by fish. I remember watching a video on black bass years ago and put it on my things to do list. What your biggest black bass and what sort of gear do you use to target these bruts. Thanks Gav

In a nutshell my favourite tactics are:

1. 5'6" to 5'8" baitcaster usually 6-8kg rating (eg Penn Pinpoint or a T-curve)
    2. Baitcast reel of a similar size to Shimana Calcutta 400
    3. 20kg (44lb) jigman braid
    4. 60lb Surecatch mono leader or 50lb seaguar fleuro leader (1.5 metres long)

I mostly use hard body lures. I enjoy casting mostly but sometimes we troll.

By the way, I fished the exact same spot that I caught the 13 barra, a day and a half later and on the very first cast with the exact same Tilsan lure I hooked a 104cm barra - my first wild caught metery.
    "...a voice in my head keeps telling me to go fishing..."