Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Who fishes out from Cairns

Re: Who fishes out from Cairns

There are a heap of Yellowfin Tuna at Linden Bank at the moment ... past few weekends we have had no trouble catching them only up to about 15kg but there are some big ones amoungst them. Just head off the back of the bank with a spread of x-raps and hold on. Plenty of bait around = plenty of tuna. Just don't be surprised if you get a wahoo or two as well. Ours smashed an x-rap and was about 20-30kg model wahoo.

good fun. Looks like going to be an awesome Nov-Dec if the bait hangs around.

Scott

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

The wind should drop soon and we'll get another chance to get amongst em. I usually run four lines between 10 and 30 metres. I dont have outriggers on my current boat but they do make a difference

I've have a down rigger , so if I run three lures at them what depth should I run the downrigged lure? Also bibles minnows ok?
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

It will probably drop mid week again and I wont be able to get out. Bloody windy up here at the moment!

have you tried berleying and floating some pillies out the back for Tuna? I never have but interested to see if any one has had any success?

Nah never cubed up here but the downrigger is essential.

I've got a week at Palm Cove from 3 Nov if anyone can suggest a charter would be much appreciated. Otherwise I just take my chances
    Cheers Rob

loving this thread! I've had a couple of tries for billfish around Fitzroy last year when it was too windy to do any off shore fishing, without any luck. I've been meaning to give beakies ago around Jenny Louise during recent calm spells but keep getting distracted by the temptation to fish for reds!! Something I have been wondering about billfish, if anyone can share some experience, is their bite greatly affected by time of day and tides? Am I wasting my time trolling in the middle of the day?? Cheersa

I have no idea abour billfish bite times but we had small marlin jumping out near Coates during the middle of the day a few weeks back. Not really sure what they were doing but thought they might have been chasing flying fish.

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Ive only caught a couple but from what Im told the best bite is in the afternoon. We had a double hookup just after midday (dropped one) and the other was around 2pm. A mate also raised seven one day around midday so I dont think you'd be wasting your time.

Yeah the game boats don't bother fishing for them before midday, so plenty of time to load up on bottown fish before having a crack for a billy.

Just waiting for the next fine weekend up here, going to head out Saturday morning troll that afternoon just for Marlin park up over night and fish the next day see if I can land one.

Once I have it will be a big weight off the shoulders. Cant imagine it gettng to Feb next year not having caught one having to wait a whole windy season to have another crack.

Aquacat Charters are regarded as the best in these parts

Aquacat Charters are largely regarded as the best around cairns

Quote Originally Posted by robtarr View Post
    I've got a week at Palm Cove from 3 Nov if anyone can suggest a charter would be much appreciated. Otherwise I just take my chances
    Cheers Rob

Rob,

Kerry on Blackout Charters, runs a 6m platey, really knows his stuff, smaller more focused operation. Good if you want to head out with mrs and or kids or in a small group. Matt

Just wondering if anyone got out this weekend just gone and how'd you go? I couldnt go at all with other commitments. Did anyone chase yellowfin?

Chased marlin with no success, right up the top of the ribbons No. 6 to 8, was amongst all the game boats who are fishing in the lizard island comp, had the radio scanning and no reports came in of any one hooked up.

Seen one jump in the distance a mile away and that was it.

Stayed over night on the reef got a feed of reef fish and a few mackerel and a mack tuna but that was it.

Awesome conditions up here though, 50kph all the way out to the ribbons made it a plesant trip.

Next weekend looks like it is dropping again so will do the same trip and see how we go.