Thread: Mooloolaba offshore

Mooloolaba offshore

Hi everyone.

Could i please have some advice about fishing off mooloolaba. I am limited to 5km but will venture furthur, up to 10km if the weather is perfect. Ive only been fishing offshore the last couple of months and have taken a real liking to it. Mostly fishing the neerings ive encounted some nice sweetlip about a dozen now (60cm) and about a dozen mix reef fish which were legal. My problem is size! for the 100 fish, i might get 5 legal it drives me nuts haha. Could anyone please point me in the direction of some good grounds, just general because i have a good sounder . i am open to coordinates to lol. Presentation of what bait and rig. Thanks guys! P.s i only keep a couple of fish because thats all i need, i do not freeze and never will lol.

Tight lines Jari

Re: Mooloolaba offshore

Mate, I don't fish Mooloolaba very much but within the 10km there is , inner and outer gneerings, raper shoals and murphy's. All very general areas with GPS marks easily found on the net.
    With technique, its really up to you. Personally I would be floatlining in those depths. Maybe try and find livies and send them down. they work for bigger fish. Just be prepared because there are actually some big fish on those reefs.

Once the water starts warming again start trolling bibbed minnows like X-raps around for Mackeral.

Quote Originally Posted by shauno555 View Post
    Mate, I don't fish Mooloolaba very much but within the 10km there is , inner and outer gneerings, raper shoals and murphy's. All very general areas with GPS marks easily found on the net.
    With technique, its really up to you. Personally I would be floatlining in those depths. Maybe try and find livies and send them down. they work for bigger fish. Just be prepared because there are actually some big fish on those reefs.

Once the water starts warming again start trolling bibbed minnows like X-raps around for Mackeral.
    Yep - what Shauno says. When the macs are on you won't have to travel far for a feed - you will however have to dodge the trawlers.
    There's some corker trevally at the outer gneerings and grassies as well. As said, live baiting can produce some good fish. Live baiting near the blinker can produce go fish at times as well.

Awesome guys cheers. Ill try some livies. Fishing
    The outer neerings sounds great. Would be good to venture to murfeys one day.

Make sure you have the appropriate safety gear when venturing further out and livies can be found near the shark lines

With the livies, if you feel up to it you can always lightly weight it and hang it out the back of the boat while you fish the bottom with baits or placcies. Always a good chance of Macs, Hoo and cobia in the mid water.
    Just remember with circle hooks you don't need to strike at. just let the fish run and swallow the bait and then turn your drag up. Or freespool and then kick it in gear and the hook will set itself.

When my boat is fixed I will be coming up there. Havent fished it in a long time and especially if im alone im not real keen on crossing SPB or cape moreton bars by myself. What does the Mooloolaba passage look like at the moment. I heard a while back the sand had built up in the seaway there and made it a little messy at times.

Cheers
    Shaun

Quote Originally Posted by shauno555 View Post
    With the livies, if you feel up to it you can always lightly weight it and hang it out the back of the boat while you fish the bottom with baits or placcies. Always a good chance of Macs, Hoo and cobia in the mid water.
    Just remember with circle hooks you don't need to strike at. just let the fish run and swallow the bait and then turn your drag up. Or freespool and then kick it in gear and the hook will set itself.

Cheers
    Shaun
    Thanks for the circle hook tip. I had terrible hook up rates the other weekend using them.
    I just kept on giving myself upper cuts .

Cheers
    Dave

Mooloolaba bar is the best, can head out in rubber ducky at anytime, (tide, swell) Cheers guys, so a floater! Sounds great. I have the perfect jig rod with bait runner will do nicely.