Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Who fishes out from Cairns

Re: Who fishes out from Cairns

I fish from Cairns, but am limited to estuaries and my favourite Tinaroo dam.

Matt

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on the forums. I`ve recently moved to Cairns from Sydney(ran away from the rat race). Gotta say, i don`t regret it one little bit. It is beautiful around here. The people, the beaches, the nature. As soon as i came here, i started looking for fishing spots from the beaches and jetties.
    I keep going to Yorkey`s (even though i couldn`t catch one single fish so far).
    I`ll try the marina side today. I was trying to fish off of the rock wall at the beach.
    And tomorrow i`ll give Palm Cove Jetty a go if Yorkey`s still doesn`t work for me.

Wish me luck since i need it a lot =)

Quote Originally Posted by Pengasus View Post
    Hi everyone,

This is my first post on the forums. I`ve recently moved to Cairns from Sydney(ran away from the rat race). Gotta say, i don`t regret it one little bit. It is beautiful around here. The people, the beaches, the nature. As soon as i came here, i started looking for fishing spots from the beaches and jetties.
    I keep going to Yorkey`s (even though i couldn`t catch one single fish so far).
    I`ll try the marina side today. I was trying to fish off of the rock wall at the beach.
    And tomorrow i`ll give Palm Cove Jetty a go if Yorkey`s still doesn`t work for me.

Wish me luck since i need it a lot =)
    IMo you need 2 rods up here for simple fishing from the shore, one for fishing the bottom and another to fish the top of the water column only, a half or small garfish on ganged hooks under a float just big enough to keep it all afloat with minimal sinker if needed. The drop needs to be quite short .5 of a meter is good. Set this rod up and wait while you stay active with whatever style your using on the other one, use the wind or flow to keep it out there whenever possible.

You have probably noticed that fishing from the shore and estuary up here is harder fishing than down south, the fish up here come in waves throught the year and even then you need to get lucky at times.

Don't discount night time, steel trace and decent sized baits soaked at half to full tide of any of the beaches.

Also IMO one needs bigger baits than you would normally fish down south from the shore to get some interest.

cheers fnq

I will definitely give that a try. Today i tried yorkey`s but again no success. Only small bites.
    I should try night time fishing as soon as i get a car. Sold mine before i moved to Cairns. Fishing under heavy sun is exhausting.

Thanks again for the info. Hopefully Palm Cove jetty will bring me some luck.

Pengasus,

Palm cove jetty fishes well early am, ie first light, nice big run-in tide plenty of flow. Drift some unweighted pillies on one rod and spin with some small metal lures (Raiders or similar) 25-35g, cast as far as possible, let em sink and retrieve as fast as possible. Should find some Doggie Macks early am, above works for me often.

Also catch any small fish you can (any species) up to about 40cm (watch your legal sizes of course), put a big hook in it 80-100lb mono trace and about 80lb braid main line, drop the livie down between the pylons, just out of view and hang on. Just about every time i do this i hook up big time. (Even use legal size doggie macks, that gets some strange looks). I have seen Barra up to 1.2-1.3m take my baits just in view...problem ain't hooking them it's getting them out of the pylons. I'm sure some takes are big Groper too, it's pretty cool fun though.

Hope that helps re- Palm Cove Jetty.

Matt

Pangasus,

Are you thowing Barra lures around the wall at Yorkey's ? If not you should be. Work the end of the wall and the sea side early am, it might take a few trips but you"ll get something there, work your lure right up to the wall at your feet, there are jacks in amoungst the rocks and they often hit just before you pull the lure out.

Going chasing sharks off that wall in the next few days, good fun for the kids!!

Matt

Hi there,

Thanks for the tips fivefishes. I`ve gone to Palm Cove jetty last Sunday. Couldn`t catch anything noteworthy though. Then again noone did catch anything. I arrived there around 11am and left at 4pm.
    I guess i am just unlucky. Since i can`t catch anything at Palm Cove, i`ll stick with Yorkey`s. At least it`s closer to where i live. (Smithfield)
    Tomorrow i`ll give Yorkey`s Boat Marina another try if i can spare time.
    Gotta buy some line first though so i might end up going fishing on thursday.

Oh well, just dreaming of the big barra that i`ll eventually catch is a good enough reason to keep trying forever =)

Pengasus,

Early morning !!!

I haven"t fished past 9am there, everything seems to shut down after about 8am, i'm sure there is action after that but in my opinion early early morning.. Keep at it the jetty fishes really well.

Matt

Hi matt,

I'm not sure if you can fish the marina side? Was told once it's a no go, outside of rockwall only?

Yep, the good old palm cove jetty. I have caught some good barra with live mullet on a handline at the first red box, straight down between the poles.

Also the rocks to your left as you walk onto the jetty. You can cast from the jetty to the first lot of rocks with livies. I also got barra at night from there.

Keep trying, you'll be rewarded soon enough.

Rob

Sorry Pengasus, I thought your name was Matt. Got confused with fivefishes.

Hi again,
    I try to go as early as possible but i still didn`t buy a car and busses come earliest at 7:40am which is already late for going there. So i am at yorkeys around 8 o`clock. But i agree, early morning is the best. Hopefully i`ll get a car within the next month so i can go night fishing which is personally the one i like most.
    Until then, afternoon fishing is my best option

With all this beautiful mid week weather, just wondering if anyone has got out the reef this week? I'm planning for saturday if it can hold out.

Anybody caught any at all?

Pazz

I hear ya Pazz, hoping the weather will hold for Saturday, I really need to go for a fish.

Good luck
    Ron
    Make something Idiot proof and they make better Idiots

Yeah i'm holding out for saturday too - still looking good at this stage..

Thinking of either heading out and dropping some plastics on the shipping leads for some fingermark or cobia or whatever is down there (last weekend was big esturary cod) or scabbing a lift out in a bigger boat and charger out to the reef early morning. Would be great to get out a bit wider again, been so long..

Richard

ps. did here of some good reports from Tuesday night, some big jacks and trout and a few mackerel getting about..

Gday ,
    i usually put my boat in at blue water...

Next week wednesday on is looking real good...i work 2 weeks on and 2 off so fortunate not to be limited to the weekends.

cheers Joey