Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Who fishes out from Cairns

Re: Who fishes out from Cairns

I'm going to stalk you when I'm in there next Richard. I have not caught a bares in there yet....I guess I don't put the amount of effort into it as I'm more keen for reef.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo76 View Post
    I'm going to stalk you when I'm in there next Richard. I have not caught a bares in there yet....I guess I don't put the amount of effort into it as I'm more keen for reef.
    4m white edgetracker with Ausfish sticker on the front

Anyone is welcome to jump in with me too..

I'm heading out the reef this arvo/tonight so hopefully the weather will hold off for a bit

Good luck tonight mate! Some of my old mans friends went out this morning and bagged on reds past fin reef somewhere. They were back by ten....

I'll keep an eye out for ya at the ramp at times I go..

Went out of port and it was too windy for my little tub, 6m boat would have been comfy. Found some nice inshore rubble but small sharks were everywhere. Need a bigger boat. Unfortunately had to work the last two days which were spectacular weather wise.

Also broke my 1996? Jarvis walker boat rod which has been a little champion, time to replace some fishing gear.

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

I went trolling for Marlin yesterday east of Fitzroy. Didn't lose a bait all day. Great conditions though.

Went down the Mulgrave today using lures and fly. Landed 4 Barra, biggest was 67cm on fly. Had a lot of follows as well.

I've missed all these little window's of good weather cause my car's turbo decided to blow up last week and left me with nothing to tow the boat with. Won't get it back until about mid next week!!!
    Nice barra there Scuttlebutt, I went out on a charter about three or four weeks ago and we got a nice little marlin into the boat (about 70pounds) from out east of Fitzroy and about half way up to Green Island, but it was very lumpy out there and blowin 15 to 20.

How did you go out the reef Richard?? I might head out Sunday night i think..

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo76 View Post
    How did you go out the reef Richard?? I might head out Sunday night i think..
    Hmmm, I'd rather not say - was a crappy trip because the weather came up on our way out there and it turned a little bit westerly when we tried to fish and on the way home. So not only did we catch bugger all, we copped a pounding on the way home

I did go out in the inlet Saturday arvo though and managed a mixed bag.. cod, jacks and couple of just under legal barra. Water temp had dropped a couple of degrees though due to that cold snap so that seemed to slow everything down a bit.

Going to head out again this weekend sometime, should be better with the warmer weather we've been having..

Reminds me of my trip out in the 14 footer, pounded back at night as it blew up, hopefully the seafarer handles a bit better . Might see ya at the ramp on Sunday then?

Was told the weather is turning to slop for the weekend

Anyone leave a winch handle at the ramp today ?

Even when Zereks get whittled down to this stage, they still catch fish

left the brand new one in the box in the car so thought I'd try anyway ...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jingo some of you blokes are brave! Small boats to the reef! I complain in my 6 metre ! Can't imagine pou ding around in a 14 footer comin home into an unrelenting land breeze!
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

Just wondering if there is any point in having both threads "who fishes out from Cairns.? " and Cairns Wind both going at the same time. Seems like we all post similar stuff on both these threads.

Would it be any point in abandoning or closing one down ( Moderator ) ? Then we'd be having all Cairns area Ausfishers communicating together ?
    Just a thought. No hidden agenda

Cheers
    John
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

I'm with you Odes although I reckon we just lock both as it has been so long since they started.

I agree Odes,

For something different I headed out south of Cairns yesterday arvo and into the early hours, lovely weather with BOM actually on the mark at 5-10 predicted most of the night, but probably really only getting to 5-6. At 10pm it was supposed to blow up to 10-15 but didn't thankfully so we had a really good trip back in.

Found some nice rubble after a mate took us out to a nice bommie. Got my PB reef jack at 73.5cm (not good at guessing weight) and a good mixed bag although a bit light on the nannys the spanglies helped christen the new icey tek 200L.

Short notice trip, love it when a non-plan comes together. Had a mate visiting for work and he got his first coral trout, spangles and both species of nannygai so he was pretty stoked.

Attachment 95621