Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Who fishes out from Cairns

Re: Who fishes out from Cairns

Dammit, at the last hour, the charter called off the reef trip. I did fish the reef yesterday off hinchinbrook - that went ok. No spaniards (well 2 undersized...) and countless nannygai and something like 10 other species.

Is trinity inlet worth a couple of hours? Are there any secrets to it? Anything to watch out for ? (apart from snappin handbags!)

I've got a month off In 2 weeks. Im hoping the weather is awesome and I can put some photos up of my most incredible catch! Might even have a spare spot every now And again.

Nicko Great idea . I'm imagining this is some kind of Artificial reef FAD? Also they would take the pressure off the current wreck out from Double Is by giving Fishos some more inshore options.

Keen to hear the response.
    Cheers!
    Last edited by odes20; 15-06-2013 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Detail
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

Odes, sounds like it's very complex as Phill one of the admins explained to me... I'll see if he's cool with me posting his email on here and if so I'll do it.

Quote Originally Posted by odes20 View Post
    Nicko Great idea . I'm imagining this is some kind of Artificial reef FAD? Also they would take the pressure off the current wreck out from Double Is by giving Fishos some more inshore options.

Keen to hear the response.
    Cheers!

Just did a Google Images search for reef balls and its amazing how widely these have been used or introduced. Hopefully we can get some action about this . I know a few blokes in Cairns who are in the know with who to talk to about getting some momentum about such an idea.
    Obviously there's I big process and such but we should be looking at how we can work together / lobby to see success.
    Happy to help
    Cheers!
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

I agree Odes,

Phill (Admin) says that steel structures are best for promoting growth quickly, so something like those big steel frames they make apparently are better than the reef balls. Asking Phill if I can share some of his advice on this thread before I post it.. waiting, cheers.

From Phill, sorry to hijack thread guys.

Before you go any further, you need to meet with the LNP member and get the criteria, in writing and ALL facets of that criteria.

Here's the " kicker ".

The LNP will say they have $50 mill up for grabs, but if no one can access that, it will eventually head back to general revenue and they will state that Rec Fishers were not interested in accessing the funds.

The criteria they set prohibits just about everyone from accessing the funds.

I believe groups like the VMR and Coast Guard should be kicked into action to submit proposals for this funding for all sorts of projects.

Hoping this weekend the winds stay down like today and tomorrow so we can get out. Anyone else went out today?

I'm just getting the last of my fishing gear sorted to head out today should be a good day out chasing Mack's & maybe some GT's.

Cheers let us know how you go. Looks like we might get out Saturday now.

3 of us went out last night with the intent of fishing from 4pm till 1am.. ended up coming home early after 2 2/12 hours fishing though with our bag limit of large mouth, and some stonkers in amongst them too. Very few small fish actually which was good to see. Apart from a few spangles and 2 slateys, all we caught for 2 1/2 hours were large mouth.

weather was ok on the way out but it was a nice ride home

Well I took my old boy out today for my new (old) boats maiden voyage with myself at the helm out to tongue reef today. We were on the water at a late 8am after discovering the main battery was dead flat due to the radio being left on for 2 weeks. (My bad) anyways I swapped it out for a new one I had as spare and we were on our way.
    Was a pretty good run out averaging about 18kts through the chop till we landed in the reef and put the anchor out to try some octo style jigs from ebay. Not much was happening and dad got a cod of some type and we moved onto trolling the reef edges where we got 2 undersized Spanish and nothing else wasn't many boats out. Apparently everyone was fishing snapper island and not many size Spanish were caught either.

That was Fridays report by the way. Went bungy jumping today.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    3 of us went out last night with the intent of fishing from 4pm till 1am.. ended up coming home early after 2 2/12 hours fishing though with our bag limit of large mouth, and some stonkers in amongst them too. Very few small fish actually which was good to see. Apart from a few spangles and 2 slateys, all we caught for 2 1/2 hours were large mouth.

weather was ok on the way out but it was a nice ride home
    Nice when a plan comes together isnt it..!!..We went out thursday too...beautiful down here at Mission beach..less than 10 knots and .5 m swell..we had intentions of overnighting and a leisurely next day fishing and snorkeling but by 8 am the 210 litre esky was overflowing with Nannies,trout and redthroat then we got a burst of spanish and ended up with 6 mackies to 27 lb wrapped in wet towels and bags on the deck and back by smoko to get them on ice...double hookups on everything..just crazy good freezer filling fishing.

Oh and plenty of spotties around in close as well..particularly at silver sands off kurramine.

Thinking of going out tonight, what do ya reckon? Too rough and too keen or doable? 15 foot glass boat. I got the itch and sick of waiting for the flat weather!!