Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Who fishes out from Cairns

Re: Who fishes out from Cairns

Best weekend of the year so far weather wise.....New baby due in a couple of weeks..... Leave pass???????? Denied.

Red face Re: Who fishes out from Cairns

Piss poor planning there Moffy. You could of done a few laps over some speed bumps last week and had it sorted by now.

I'm not getting offshore this weekend unfortunately. Was supposed to chase some barra this arvo/tonight but my wife and I have been fighting off colds, she slept for a few hours this arvo which very rarely happens, so I roasted a chook and made the most of an evening in. I'm going to hit Tinaroo tomorrow and try to ignore the fact that I'm not down the coast!

I've heard that quite a few macks are showing up, happy days!

The morning current was a bit slow so no early morning Macks. We got one off the Snapper wreck and lost at least one more through a pulled hook late morning. The highlight of the trip was when we discovered a two wonky holes. The first was on the way out and produced an 11.6 kilo Nanny. The second was on the way in and although had no fish still yielded a memorable encounter with a whale shark. I'll put up a post later on.

I went Saturday afternoon out off Cairns.

Managed 7 nice trout and a nice mackeral in about 2-3 hours. Paid shark tax on another 4-6 trout unfortunately. Got a nice footballer too that went 60cm and still had all his bands.

Went out wide chasing reds, and counted 15 boats in the same area. Got a real mixed bag of but not a lot of red unfortunately. Current was pretty slow etc. Pic of the red I caught.

How did everyone else go?

Pazz

Footballer.jpgRed.jpg

Yeah I went out yesterday in the paddock and got a few large mouths but no jacks from pixie. I counted 16 boats at pixie.

Stupid iPad I means macks

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Was a toss-up yesterday between reef or river. I ended up in the river waving the flyrod. Managed a few fish including my PB barra on fly which justified the decision

my first ever trip to Pixie was 13 boats and I was there pretty early. after that I thought stuff it and have just been searching for my own mack spots, there's plenty of better spots out there mate, Pixie does fire but macks fire in a lot of places and there's nothing more annoying than having to worry about all the other boats while landing fish. you seem to get offshore a lot Scott, you'll find some pinnacles or bommies in no-time that hold good fish, just keep the faith when looking mate, that next half an hour of searching could give you the jackpot.

Quote Originally Posted by Snapperscott View Post
    Yeah I went out yesterday in the paddock and got a few large mouths but no jacks from pixie. I counted 16 boats at pixie.

71cm Barra on fly from Tuesday in the Inlet

Hey Scuttlebut, I've got a 9wt I'm tempted to dust off sometime but I don't have a fly reel with drag, would a traditional style non-drag reel be okay? What are you using for tippet? I heard some guys just put a meter or so of whatever pound line instead of a tapered or stepped tippet? Maybe this is one for the flyfishing thread actually, apologies for hijacking.

Using pink things mainly?

Nice job tho.

Need a fly reel with drag? Sounds like you just need to harden up a bit Nikko.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko_Cairns View Post
    Hey Scuttlebut, I've got a 9wt I'm tempted to dust off sometime but I don't have a fly reel with drag, would a traditional style non-drag reel be okay? What are you using for tippet? I heard some guys just put a meter or so of whatever pound line instead of a tapered or stepped tippet? Maybe this is one for the flyfishing thread actually, apologies for hijacking.

Using pink things mainly?

Nice job tho.
    Mate a drag would be handy but the drag on my reel is stuffed and I get away with palming it.

Tippett is 35lb sneider. I just tie a butt section of about 5 feet of 60lb mono to the flyline then about 4 feet of 35 lb to that.

Pink things work well, also black'n'barred's for real dirty water.

Thanks mate,

I'll give you harden up Daintreeboy you've got the best drag on the market on your stella!

I'll post a pic of some flies a mate sent me as a present, see what you think.. all these barra flies are new to me, I'm used to small trout flies (rainbow and brown, not coral!)

Okay off to the flyfishing forum with a billion more questions.

some good fish landed all over NQ last weekend, getting lots of nice emailed pics as I didn't head out (thanks @ssholes!!)

Gotta couple maks from pixie during the week but pretty hard going. Anyone else been out?