Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Who fishes out from Cairns

Re: Who fishes out from Cairns

Anyone been using jigs for reds? (not ockta style, I know they work, knife and butterfly style). I've heard of some people cleaning up fingermark on them but haven't heard about any really good catches yet on reds..

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...-jigs-for-reds

Reefari have some good vids on Octka jigs and some other jigs

Anyway I'll give some small jigs a crack, mainly on the nannygai and will let y'all know how I go.

Cheers.

Hey guys,

I'm Ben, long time reader, just become a member.

I fish out of Cairns, have a 5.2m half cab and a 4m tinny fully decked out for barra (similar to a bass boat in the states)

Love reading through this forum.

Headed out yesterday and struggled a fair bit. Managed 5 nice big mouth and a trout. They were really tough to catch yesterday. How did everyone else go?

Pazz

Guy from work said the same, apparently the water temp was low where he was so better fishing was in the shallow stuff, he still struggled a bit though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pazz01 View Post
    Headed out yesterday and struggled a fair bit. Managed 5 nice big mouth and a trout. They were really tough to catch yesterday. How did everyone else go?

Pazz

Quote Originally Posted by Pazz01 View Post
    Had a mate up from Mackay so got out for a quick creek fish in the Inlet Sunday arvo.. couple of hours produced 2 nice jacks and an undersized barra.. caught on Zerek prawn and transam respectively.. Another mate on the boat lost a horse at Firewood, didn't see what it was but suspect a decent size barra. Dropped the hooks on a Threadybuster

Yeah it was tough. We've had a lean 12 months on the fish it seems at the moment. Starting to give me the sh*ts.

I heard of a couple of boats smashing the Big mouth yesterday. I heard one bloke got 36 near batt and tongue.

Pazz

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Fished the inlet Sunday. Landed 2 Jacks, 1 barra at 66cm, dropped one around 80.
    Fished the reef yesterday at Elford throwing poppers. Pretty slow, got two trout, a couple of trevally and a few little longtail tuna on slugs.

We fished near Batt reef yesterday.
    Landed quite a few fish but only kept 8 Big mouth, 3 Trout.
    It was a fun day.

Nick, a handfull of fish were caught using Black Magic knife jigs 150 - 200 gram weight.

Regards

Con

Nice, thanks Con.

I usually fish the shallower stuff, picked up a heap of 100gm butterfly jigs, I've used 200g and 400g jigs in the deeper stuff, actually found that sharks liked them lol. I saw a coral sea article where they were smashing most things on them and actually did really well at night with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Master4Med2 View Post
    We fished near Batt reef yesterday.
    Landed quite a few fish but only kept 8 Big mouth, 3 Trout.
    It was a fun day.

Nick, a handfull of fish were caught using Black Magic knife jigs 150 - 200mm long.

Regards

Con

We had some rellies up from down south who have never reef fished, so we headed down the Daintree, dropped a couple of pots on the way out then headed to Pratt Rock. They had a ball, lot of little stuff as usual, couple of nice trout, long tails and a spectaclar show put on by a Sharky Mack trying to elude his name sakes and then a really nice buck in one of the pots. They had a ball.

TMC

two reports from the weekend. 1 boat fished in the paddock for an awesome afternoon with 30 odd fish of which about 20 odd large mouth and a few grunter. Other boat fishing Linden and they did ok as well with large mouth and rosy jobfish.

Hi Guys, I'm another Cairns fisho, all estuary or land based. Most of my catch reports are on my blog http://www.australianfish.com.au nothing like what some of you get into! Reading this thread makes me realise I need to get out there onto the reef.

If someone wants to take me out I'd be more than grateful, just realise I'm not too familiar with fish over 1 metre or using gaffs lol. I'm available 24/7 pretty much (self employed), happy to help get gear ready, wash down boats etc and contribute towards fuel/bait. I prefer using lures too but happy with any fishing.

Hi guys,

I need my ss prop cleaned up a bit and checked that it's balanced etc, anyone know a prop guy in Cairns?

Thanks.

Nev at NB prop works mate. 8 Svendsen St Bungalow QLD 4870.

Cheers
    Pazz

Anyone go out today? Weather looks great. Mate of mine went out not much happening apparantly. I"m heading out early tommorrow. Any tips?
    Thanks