Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Who fishes out from Cairns

Re: Who fishes out from Cairns

I'm heading out Tuesday, just wish I had more time built up and I'd head out Tuesday and Wednesday, just have to make the most of it.. half the day will be used up taking my wife for a snorkel though, oh well that beats work too

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

I did a solo mission on thursday. Only went to Oyster. Got 3 nice trout and one spaniard then stopped off at Michaelmass for a snorkle.

heading out tomorrow now, wind looks great but I've been hearing some slow reports from mates due to the lack of wind possibly? Dunno.

will probably do more snorkelling than fishing if my wife gets my way but will have to see

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko_Cairns View Post
    I'm heading out Tuesday, just wish I had more time built up and I'd head out Tuesday and Wednesday, just have to make the most of it.. half the day will be used up taking my wife for a snorkel though, oh well that beats work too

Headed out to Sudbrey yesterday busted our butts spearing for 8hrs results were very poor. Ended up with around 11 fish and 1 big cray between 4 divers.

I had another crack today. Oyster and Pixie for a total of 2 small spaniards. Nice weather but bloody hell I couldn't catch a cold

does anyone know if there is a scientific fact that regardless of tides and moon Y you seem to catch less or even next to nothing with no wind?? or is that a stupid question?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveNkelly View Post
    does anyone know if there is a scientific fact that regardless of tides and moon Y you seem to catch less or even next to nothing with no wind?? or is that a stupid question?
    I think its more to do with water temp. We just happen to get the lightest winds at the hottest time of the year

I went yesterday as well and we worked our arses off. Couldn't even get a bite in the depths ranging from 20-40m and not even a chance of catching a fish. Went out into the deep water in 70 metres and managed to catch two nice big mouth around the 10-12 pound and a rosy and maori sea bream. But at 2pm we thought we would be be coming home on our first trip 25 years without catching a keeper.

Was a fantastic day on the water, but just bloody hot.

Some of the best days I've ever had fishing seem to coincide with the wind blowing 15-20 knots plus.. days when you struggle to hook up etc. In the calm, whilst it's a beautiful day on the water, the fishing never seems to be much chop. But, I'll go out on those days either way now because I just love being on the water and sure beats working!!

Cheers
    Pazz

A couple mates today reckon the water temp was too high, so sounds like you did the right thing Pazz and headed deeper, where it would be cooler. I've had great days on glassy conditions but just thinking back it was never stinking hot, so maybe it is the water temp?

I fished yesterday in 40/50m and no keepers. Hot as and flat as.

Got a four nice fingermark and a Maori Sea perch inshore last night
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

nice work odes, maybe the keyword there was "night"? water probably cooled and was probably the best time to go...
    Quote Originally Posted by odes20 View Post
    Got a four nice fingermark and a Maori Sea perch inshore last night

Just in case you guys hadn't seen this Notice to Mariners (and anyone goes out there in this heat..........)

Mariners are advised that a large black steel pontoon, approximately 11 metres in length by 2 metres, has broken free from the Norman Reef dive pontoon in approximate position
    latitude 16° 25.8' S, longitude 146° 00' E and may be adrift in the vicinity of Norman Reef, posing a hazard to navigation.

All vessels transiting the area are requested to keep a sharp lookout and navigate with caution.

Moffy

thanks Moffy,

I was thinking about heading out for a day of searching on Friday but don't know if I can be bothered in this heat, also the fish would probably be shut down again as I'd be in fairly shallow stuff, only up to 50m and I'd prefer searching when I can catch what I find on the sounder (well hopefully lol).

Have three new 50m holes to go play in that aren't charted (yep seriously) but even those holes would probably be quiet, heard one bloke say that the shelf was probably the best option, but not in my little tub! So tying heaps of rigs, sharpening knives etc and getting ready..

So has anyone been out for a barra fish yet ? thinking of heading out this weekend sometime but maybe late arvo - too bloody hot right now.. !!