Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jack Spin Rod

Re: Jack Spin Rod

Quote Originally Posted by LBGaddict View Post
    If you think you can stop a jack on 6kg then you are flat out wrong mate, you can certainly land even the biggest estuary jacks on 6kg or lighter, but in no way can they be stopped at full noise.

Have another billy mate

Quote Originally Posted by nickstock View Post
    Have another billy mate
    Basically agreeing with you but not at the same time, so don't get hurt feelings

I'll leave the grass for you mate, bigger better things to do, but that just goes with not being a lowbreed stoner, sorry to disappoint.

Nickstock,
    Have you heard of FIGJAM?

Unless you're solely after a challenge then why not run a heavier braid? Most 15-20lb braids break at 25-40lb and cast plenty far enough. No point in handicapping yourself too much hey?

Regardless of what can or can't be stopped in terrain X on X kilo line and who's from what kind of breeding stock, this bloke is trying to find a suitable rod for a specific purpose.

Jackson53... in your initial post you mentioned using a 5-8kg 7' rod and it beng "doubled" over. Then later you mention you will look at getting a 6-8kg rod and are wondering if 7ft is too long.

Mate, IMO, stepping up by 1 kilo at the bottom end of the rod's rating won't make much difference, unless the taper of the 2 rods is radically different or one rod is of majorly inferior quality/incorrectly rated.

You may want to try stepping up a bit. Before lashing out on an egrell, or something of similar price, you may want to try something cheaper and see if it can indeed stop the fish you are hooking in the terrain you are fishing in.

A Shimano Raider 6'6" 5-10kg($99 sale-$139 rrp) might do the job, or you may need to look around for something heavier. Only you can decide what suits your fishing style and locations. As others have said, no matter what combo you settle on, you'll lose the battle sometimes.

I'll leave the grass for you mate, bigger better things to do, but that just goes with not being a lowbreed stoner, sorry to disappoint.
    Sorry if I offended you mate, "have another billy mate" is just a saying that we use that is in the same context as "are you for real" or "get out of here" or "are you kidding". I did not mean to call you a stoner, once again sorry.

To everyone else,
    Sorry for giving advice that works for me. I thought that there may have been a chance of possibility converting another person to light tackle. I should not have posted in this thread as in the opening line Jackson stated that he was getting dusted on 5-8kilo gear.

P.S
    Chamelion,
    Line class pre test braid breaks at what it is supposed to in most cases.

Nick

I wasn't saying light tackle doesn't work, during winter we target them using 2lb fireline, this is when we get our biggest fish. I was just saying they can't be stopped on light gear.

Quote Originally Posted by nickstock View Post

To everyone else,
    Sorry for giving advice that works for me. I thought that there may have been a chance of possibility converting another person to light tackle. I should not have posted in this thread as in the opening line Jackson stated that he was getting dusted on 5-8kilo gear.

Nick
    Seems to be a pattern here hey nick SEQ seem to know more about a species that blokes up here cut their teeth on.

I have personally landed jacks upto 55cm in skinny water using a 2-4kg rod, 2500 size reel and 6lb, yes pound, braid down to a 10lb fluro leader over big black lip oyster covered rocks everywhere including at my feet.

my suggestion would be a medium taper 6-8kg rod for some real balls a 4000 size reel and 8kg braid or mono if you can't stop them with that you just aren't fishing properly. Simlilar to the outfit I use for big grunter and Fingermark, I use a berkley dropshot touranment pro 6-10kg 6'6" rod with a saragosa 5000 with 20lb braid and have boated fingermark and grunter to 76cm with it, and considering big fingermark can and will strip 15kg of drag with ease it went very well. This rod is also available in a 6' 6-8kg model, I bought the longer one for casting rage as I also use it for mackeral and tuna. Havn't used it in the creeks much really as I don't fish them often, but I landed some big reds, trout, 20kg plus GT's, fingerark, big grunter, a 6ft long shovelnose, barra, big spaniards 20kg plus, a sailfish plus heaps more different species. And you are all kidding yourself if you think a 50 odd cm creek jack will out pull any of those fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott nthQld View Post
    Seems to be a pattern here hey nick SEQ seem to know more about a species that blokes up here cut their teeth on.

I have personally landed jacks upto 55cm in skinny water using a 2-4kg rod, 2500 size reel and 6lb, yes pound, braid down to a 10lb fluro leader over big black lip oyster covered rocks everywhere including at my feet.

my suggestion would be a medium taper 6-8kg rod for some real balls a 4000 size reel and 8kg braid or mono if you can't stop them with that you just aren't fishing properly. Simlilar to the outfit I use for big grunter and Fingermark, I use a berkley dropshot touranment pro 6-10kg 6'6" rod with a saragosa 5000 with 20lb braid and have boated fingermark and grunter to 76cm with it, and considering big fingermark can and will strip 15kg of drag with ease it went very well. This rod is also available in a 6' 6-8kg model, I bought the longer one for casting rage as I also use it for mackeral and tuna. Havn't used it in the creeks much really as I don't fish them often, but I landed some big reds, trout, 20kg plus GT's, fingerark, big grunter, a 6ft long shovelnose, barra, big spaniards 20kg plus, a sailfish plus heaps more different species. And you are all kidding yourself if you think a 50 odd cm creek jack will out pull any of those fish.
    Hey Champ,

Who said anything about a 50cm jack outpulling those fish you listed

Maybe you should have another billy as well

If you think you can stop a jack on 6kg then you are flat out wrong mate, you can certainly land even the biggest estuary jacks on 6kg or lighter, but in no way can they be stopped at full noise.
    sounds like you's dont trust your knots much? over many years catching jacks at"FULL NOISE" around the 55cm mark in mangrove lined creeks, oyster encrusted rocks on 6kg mono my catch rate would be 98 percent.
    if they are heading for structure my thumb goes hard on the spool, i trust my knots! i mean, that if it does not look like he is going to stop what have you got to loose ?
    sometimes i lock up on them straight away cause they are only cm's away from their home.

if you's want a real challenge come up here & fish for the mighty " Crimson Demon " (fingermark) in ten mtrs of water over rocks, near on fully locked up 50lb braid. they make jacks fight like a whiting!!!

on the other hand dont cause you's might not want to go back home to the jacks.

TIE BETTER KNOTS, TRUST YOUR KNOTS, & LOCK UP ON THEM !!!!!!!!!!!!!

ron.
    reels screamin aboard Hyper- Active

Quote Originally Posted by childers View Post
    Hey Champ,

Who said anything about a 50cm jack outpulling those fish you listed

Maybe you should have another billy as well
    You are just a bloody clown, if you could read you would have seen that with the outfit I said I have caught all those species including jacks, and there is no need for the heavy handed approach you all seem to like, bvut hey, maybe when you guys can grow some balls and learn how to catch other species than whiting, bream and flathead, maybe you might learn a thing or 2 from listening to people who cut their teeth on jacks and barra and fingermark, but hey, we WERE just trying to help, but since you all seem to know everything about everything why bother asking the question, especially when you can an answer from people with loads of practical experience, that might differ from the one you got out of a text book.

wake up to yourselves, all of you

Quote Originally Posted by Scott nthQld View Post
    You are just a bloody clown, if you could read you would have seen that with the outfit I said I have caught all those species including jacks, and there is no need for the heavy handed approach you all seem to like, bvut hey, maybe when you guys can grow some balls and learn how to catch other species than whiting, bream and flathead, maybe you might learn a thing or 2 from listening to people who cut their teeth on jacks and barra and fingermark, but hey, we WERE just trying to help, but since you all seem to know everything about everything why bother asking the question, especially when you can an answer from people with loads of practical experience, that might differ from the one you got out of a text book.

wake up to yourselves, all of you
    Sorry mate,

I didnt realize you were a bit slow on the up take

You obviously have a sheep or two missing from the top paddock so i will l try to keep it simple for you

jackson 53 wanted someone to recommend a heavier rod to stop jacks because he was getting done up

AAAARRRREEE yer getting the picture now Scott ?????

I'll have a billy!
    Just got back from catching my PB of 50cm in 1.5m of water in the yak.
    14lb Nitlon Braid, 16lb Line Systems leader. Awesome fun!
    Was a baitcaster though, not a spin outfit.
    I love the Egrells and I'm sure the new model would be awesome.
    I have just got a Nito Voodoo 3-5kg spin rod, it is 6'6" and designed for snapper on plastics it is my No. 2 rod for the jacks at the moment.
    Let us know what you end up with fella...
    Cheers and thanks.

"Tackle Whore on a budget..."
    Gonzo II – Brooker 4.5m 40hp Yam & Outlaw Kayak
    Fish Well, Fish Egrell

http://www.ecofishersqld.org.au

I'm not saying light line doesn't work, I use 2lb fireline in winter for my biggest jacks.
    The fact is that fishing light doesn't destress the fish into running at their hardest, personally this isn't why i jack fish, its about getting in a genuine battle of strength for me. I'm sorry but catching jacks that can pull 10kg of genuine drag from a blacksheep tells me that 6kg won't stop them. I've caught alot of jacks in NQ and SEQ and the fish down here DO go harder, in fact the further south you go, the harder they pull, Northern NSW fish for me average in the high 50s and they outpull any that i've encountered. It may have something to do with them spending more time on any given structure rather than moving with the bigger tides of NQ, or possibly the fact that down here they are top dog.
    NQ boys can have their 45s and 50s all day, but we get the bigger, harder fish in NSW and SEQ

Quote Originally Posted by ronnien View Post
    sounds like you's dont trust your knots much? over many years catching jacks at"FULL NOISE" around the 55cm mark in mangrove lined creeks, oyster encrusted rocks on 6kg mono my catch rate would be 98 percent.
    if they are heading for structure my thumb goes hard on the spool, i trust my knots! i mean, that if it does not look like he is going to stop what have you got to loose ?
    sometimes i lock up on them straight away cause they are only cm's away from their home.

if you's want a real challenge come up here & fish for the mighty " Crimson Demon " (fingermark) in ten mtrs of water over rocks, near on fully locked up 50lb braid. they make jacks fight like a whiting!!!

on the other hand dont cause you's might not want to go back home to the jacks.

TIE BETTER KNOTS, TRUST YOUR KNOTS, & LOCK UP ON THEM !!!!!!!!!!!!!

ron.
    I trust my knots whole heartedly, but i don't stuff around targetting small jacks either, 45s and 50s are nice to catch in between good fish, but there's no point bringing a 22. to shoot buffalo. I'm not disagreeing with any of you here about landing fish on light gear, sometimes its the only way, but alot less fun then getting in hand to hand combat in tiger country(for me).
    I agree fingermark do go harder than the jacks up there, Haycock Island fish in particular are brutes. They're about par with a Northern NSW jack, pound for pound, but averave a hell of alot bigger.