Thread: Another BT-50 thread

Another BT-50 thread

going to lease a new vehicle
    It'll be mostly used by the wife so it has to be dual cab and 4WD
    The Hilux in SR5 Auto TD is really at the very top of my price range
    and the only other thing I like the look of is the top spec BT-50 Canopy version
    of course it's a whole lot cheaper but what are they like to drive?

Anyone heard of any problems with these?

Other option is to take the 10% tax loss and get a Prado TD
    might be able to pick up a bargain on runouts as the new model is about to be released. Then sell the BA Falcon and buy a BA ute to drive to work
    If You Can't Run With The Dogs....... Stay On The Porch

Re: Another BT-50 thread

Mate I have had both the new Hilux and a BT50. To be honest with you, the Hilux did drive better than the Maz, and was quieter, nicer to drive and all the rest. But in my opinion it was not that much better to justify the extra cost. Nothing at all wrong with the BT50, I dont know about the auto tranny in them as mine is a manual.

Cheers,

mate i have the base model bt-50 t/d auto 4x4 duel cab only done 12000k in it and had no real probs yet with it,couldnt justify the extra money for the hilux ,i find it has better pick up than the hilux as well,have driven both as a workmate has a hilux t/d auto,i use mine as a work ute and had the rear leaf springs done and added another as they where a bit soft all done through warrenty so no charge
    cheers rosco
    Last edited by rosco1974; 08-11-2009 at 04:07 PM. Reason: spelling

Mate I've had one for two years and done K and all I have to complain about is a leaking diff washer.

at this stage toyjo arn't running out the prado's, they have too much demand for them, can't get one (gxl td auto) under 60k. new one gunna be 72k!

i got a ranger (same as bt50) awesome cars for the money mate.

cheers

lippa

Mate, my old man has the SDX BT-50 (2007 model) and have done about 80000k on it and havn't had a problem with it... had to go for the auto because he can't push the clutch anymore and havn't had any problems with it.. we regularly tow a boat close to 2 ton with it and havn't had any problems... it chews a bit of juice when towing but thats to be expected... havn't taken it off road yet so can't tell you much about that...

Nidrac.

Quote Originally Posted by lippa View Post
    at this stage toyjo arn't running out the prado's, they have too much demand for them, can't get one (gxl td auto) under 60k. new one gunna be 72k!

i got a ranger (same as bt50) awesome cars for the money mate.

cheers

lippa
    Been told the new Prado is to be released next month so I'll see what they do, might look at the new SWB model too, if it comes as a 5 seater
    if I get a twincab ute it will be a top spec model
    I like the look of the Ranger Wildtrack except for the Wildtrack graphics and wheels

Well took a BT-50 and a Ford Ranger Wildtrack for a drive today
    While the BT-50 was ok, the Ranger was just a bit nicer inside with leather interior trim
    and at the moment the Wildtrack XLT is on special for $50,000 drive away

Going to check out the Hilux and Prados next week
    might be able to pick up a Prado GXL or Hilux SR5 for not much more than the Ranger

Hi have done 20,000k in man.bt50. cape york,northern territory,towing stuff. not a problem. First thing after delivery had Fulcrum suspension at stafford put in about 1 1/2 hours correcting the factory steering. Corrected the vague handling and drives like a car now.still waiting for the promised refund from grand prix. had older hiluxes, all feel about the same to drive to me. Huge improvement in power over earlier 2.5L bravo.It's a buyers market unless you are trying to deal with toyota.

I had a auto bt50 for 60,000km and for the money it was a great 4x4 I never had it on tuff tracks but it run up and down the beach fine and also towed well. I upgraded to a prado early this year and well it is in a whole new ball park!!! as for getting one for not much more than 50 good luck with that. Oh and one other thing the bt50 will leave a hilux sitting at the lights thinking I wish my hilux didnt have this turbo lag!!!

If it is going to cost you $50k to buy the Ford, shop a Hilux around, you'll come pretty close. I only got rid of my Lux due to the fact my boat exceeds the 2.25T towing capacity of the Toyota, if you dont have that to worry about, the Lux is a better car. I got an SR5 TD Auto with quite a few trimmings on the road for only a couple of grand more than what you are looking at.

Im not bashing the Ford/ Mazda ( I own one), they are a great ute, but the SR5 Hilux, all things being equal is the better truck. For a couple of grand, I know which way I would go if towing wasnt an issue.

You are deciding between some really good utes, whichever way you go, I think you'll be happy mate.

I got a couple of insiders in Toyota
    one an inlaw who's father owns a dealership
    The other was quite high up in Toyota Australia for 40 years and got a couple of well known QLD dealers set up in their businesses
    a new model GLX Prado for under $55,000 is looking quite likely at the moment
    and since there isn't much in it between the Prado and the Lux SR5 I'll probably go for a Prado(new model released next week)

The Ranger was nicer inside than the BT-50, but the Cabooltuire Mazda dealer has a local upholsterer doing leather BT-50 interiors for around $2500