Thread: 1HD into HZJ105, Oh what a feeling

1HD into HZJ105, Oh what a feeling

Got hold of a complete 1HD turbo engine from a 1990 80 series for $1000(Mates Rates) with just over 200,000klms on it
    spend another $1500 on new HD clutch and other assorted items(beer and prawns for those I conned into helping)
    Another mate suggested new big end bearings while it was out, damn glad I did as bearings in the engine seem to be the originals and had started delaminating(early 90s 1HD problem)

Install was straight forward with the only mods being to the glow plug wiring and the fuel line from the filter to the pump
    I also changed the sumps as the later one has the oil level sender, this also required changing the oil pick up, 1HD has larger tube and pickup screen. But oil pressure is still up where it should be so this hasn't affected oil feed.
    also had a full 3" mandrel bend exhaust from "Caboolture Exhausts"

What a difference, The 1Hz needed 2200rpm before starting to get going
    1HD pulls hard from 1400rpm, but the gearbox complains a bit so I try to keep it above 1600rpm
    I've also improved fuel consuption to the tune of an extra 100klm from the 140L in the two tanks

Now I've just spent another $1800 on the fuel pump which decided to start leaking, since it had been sitting for over a year unused it's not unexpected so I though I'd get the pump rebuilt and calibrated while it was out

Happy as now, as cheap as putting a turbo on the 1Hz but the added bonus of the HD block, pump etc.
    Just waiting for the gearbox to give out since it has over 300,000klms on it
    If You Can't Run With The Dogs....... Stay On The Porch

Re: 1HD into HZJ105, Oh what a feeling

Yep, nice work. The 1hdt are a great engine (compaired to 1hz). Glad you changed bottom end, 220 000k's is borderline when the crank bearings give out. If you ever want another upgrade, for more power and better eco again pm me..
    Sounds like fun..

Thanks mate, If it involves adjusting the pump I'll give it a few months to make sure the there are no probs with the rebuild and warrenty

I know of one way that would improve things straight up, get rid of the mud tyres
    when it had the 1Hz I was getting around 12L/100klm, putting on mud tyres upped that to 14L/100klm, now it's down to 13L/100klm
    If You Can't Run With The Dogs....... Stay On The Porch

everything involves the fuel pump. Just dont believe alot of diesel guys hey. They all lie about how much power they are making. Im going to do a write up with dyno results for mine. $1500 for 30% more power across the entire rev range and better eco, while still keeping stock temps. And a few tricks ive picked up to increase performance and torque.