Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Haines Hunter Appreciation Thread

Re: Haines Hunter Appreciation Thread

What about an 8.2 litre big block MPI, 425 HP and keep the weight and grunt factor where it was designed to be?

Probably work out cheaper on install mod. and new engine/s costs, if fishing room wasn't a big concern.

Yep that's the one. He didn't even know what he had weird. I got it for $12 grand it has 100 hours on the motor so i am going to put an MPI kit on it. I have an alloy hard top roof being made should be in Brisbane in a couple of weeks then its off to paint (Metallic Silver from the chine to the gunnel).

Im off to Andaman in a week for the teak decks i may also do the Bow in teak just to complete the look im a bit undecided there.

The stringers and main deck frame were replaced recently and have been done by a professional i don't think you should skimp in those situations bad ju ju's if you get it wrong.

The most time consuming part is stripping the old 5mm of antifoul off with out doing damage to the gel coat but i will get there.

I have a list of parts as long as my arm but unfortunately longer than my bank account but i have set a target for the end of September.

FYI the guy doing the paint job painted the batmobile so it should look the goods

I may sell the seats for a carton of beer if somebody wants them other wise they are the next thing to go to the tip. They have esky boxes underneath them.

Ausfish Silver Member

Hi all.

I've been skulking about these pages for a couple years now, and I can't believe that Haines Hunters aren't actually revered.
    The Seafarer Appreciation Thread has 37 pages, nearly 550 replies and nearly 90,000 views!
    No one has even bothered with the Haines Hunter Appreciation thread in 7 years!

Seafarers are a nice boat, which I can attest to from personal experience, as my 1st boat when I was 20, was a 20' Vagabond with a 175 Black Max.
    But as soon as it tried to hurt us, I got rid of it. It had as propensity to broach (stage left) in a heavy following sea.

I went on to own several Haines's over the years: a 19R reverse chine with a 150 straight 6 merc, an 1800SO with a 200 Merc; a 635L with a 288 Mercruiser, a 635L with a 200 Merc another 19R converted to a centre console with a with 225 Evinrude and I never experienced any "moments" in any of those boats, despite being much younger and sillier than I am now and venturing out in every sea state at warp speed.

I'm just curious why the Seafarer's have such an avid cheer squad, yet no one seems to mention the Haines's. Those things were designed in the hayday of ocean racing, and all their hulls were classics!
    Like who would not love to own a Formula 233 (OK, not designed by Haines, but lessons definately learnt), a 213C or a 1600SO? Even the more modern stuff are latter day classics.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not "anti Seafarer". I loved the style of the Vagabond and I was recently looking for an old Ventura to refurbish, but it only just became apparent to me that Haines Hunters' are not adored zealously as are the Seafarers. At least, not on this site...

So I'm doing my bit. As the Mustang 24 is all but finished, I just purchased a sad early bubble deck 1600SO for a full refurb, as I believe it will become a future collectable...
    And I need to play boat builder...
    IMG_1938.jpg

Hopefully, it will turn out something like this:
    1600so 1977.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

All the Haines guys are probably still out fishing while the Seafarer guys are inside sooking about the weather and posting in the Seafarer appreciation thread

Had a V17L for a few years. Loved the boat, the Black Max sucked (fuel, at a ridiculous rate), and I always reckoned the boat was a touch too small for my taste. But I miss it, it was an awesome rig in rough water.

Haines.jpg

Haines2.jpg

Been without an offshore boat for probably 7 years or so now. Getting the itch real bad again so picking up this V19C on Tuesday. Getting keen as to get out and get her dirty.

Haines4.jpg

Haines3.jpg

Cheers,
    Dave.
    Last edited by davez104; 13-04-2018 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Spelling

Haha. You could not go wrong with Haines or Seafarers from the 70's. I ran both brands. There is nothing in it but the Seafarers were better built with more solid transom and floors (Generally speaking). Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing