Thread: Landbased fishing along georges river?

Landbased fishing along georges river?

Gday,

Im keen to wet a line in the georges river, and i was just wondering how the landbased fishing is along there? and could anyone point me in the right direction as to which areas/ spots i should head down to and suss out. Also what species of fish should i be expecting to be pulling out of there? other then the obvious three eyed kinds
    All help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    matt

Re: Landbased fishing along georges river?

used to fish under the tom uglys bridge as a kid (many years ago). done quite well with bream and flattys in them days. I think these days u be lucky to get a spot to stand as it is so busy. Dont think much chance of a fish anyway as serious overfishing has left no resident fish population in the area. best advise would be get a six pack and sit back and watch everone else catch nothing

Take a picnic lunch and head out to Kurnell off the groynes if their still there. its been like 30yrs since i was there as i used to live in Sylvania Waters and fished the oil wharf for u name it we caught it, Baldface by boat only good bream and jew or head up to Picnic Point used to be a good family area. Good luck.

A bit of a word of caution, if you are fishing the lower reaches...that is from Picninc Point to Tom Uglies, Dont fish alone, and definitely not after dark.....its a safety issue and one of the reasons I moved to Qld. The easy to get to shore spots are frequented by certain low lifes who are not necessarily interested in fishing...and dont take kindly to their 'activities' being witnessed.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by sleepygreg View Post
    A bit of a word of caution, if you are fishing the lower reaches...that is from Picninc Point to Tom Uglies, Dont fish alone, and definitely not after dark.....its a safety issue and one of the reasons I moved to Qld. The easy to get to shore spots are frequented by certain low lifes who are not necessarily interested in fishing...and dont take kindly to their 'activities' being witnessed.

Greg
    thanks for the heads up, i was already wary about the types of people who hang around along that stretch of the georges. The part of that river where i fish near is at the back of `a reasonably high end neighbourhood, and we've never had trouble but its freshwater there and im lookin to sus out some saltwater areas to throw in a line.

Cheers,
    Matt

The saltwater reaches start at the weir at Liverpool. Which used to be a great spot for all the usual supects. I believe it still produces some quality fish....bream, flathead, luderick, jew, some whiting....lots of big mullet and the occassional bass. Once again you need to be wary of anglers that arent necessarily 'fishing to the rules'. A bit further downstream is the lakes at Chipping Norton....some excellent fish to be had there....though defintitely an after dark spot....and subject to the same cautions in my previous post. (its a bit daunting when you are trying to launch a boat and the police are running a blue and white tape around the boat ramp cos someone was murdered that night).

I found it much more enjoyable the take the 45 minute drive down to Lake Illawarra, where you have multiple options of beach, lake and river fishing in a much less stressfull environment....and you can actually eat the fish you catch.

Freshwater is a whole nother story above the Liverpool Weir. What area are you currently fishing?

Greg