Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SHIMANO CALCUTTA vs TEAM DAIWA PLUTON

SHIMANO CALCUTTA vs TEAM DAIWA PLUTON

OK guys I have narrowed it down to 2. Now I need your help in deciding between these 2 reels. The calcutta I am looking at is the CTE401 (lefty). It seems to have more line capacity and a higher max drag. The Pluton has twice the bearings, is a little bit lighter and looks more heavy duty. They are both about the same price. I am not going for the high speed Pluton as I would rather have the higher max drag. If anyone has either of these reels any feedback would be great.

Re: SHIMANO CALCUTTA vs TEAM DAIWA PLUTON

Just buy both of them ya tight ass!!!! Then sell which ever one you don't like.

Easy for you to say MONEY BAGS!. I might have to do that if the guy I go fishing with stops charging me to drive his boat!

Lucky he doesn't charge you for cleaning, maintenance, setup and packup. When do you get your boat? That's right....March 2010. Better keep up that overtime buddy!!!

I think my kingfish is bigger than your kingfish!!!

Hi

It really depends what you're looking at doing with the reel. What species are you mainly targeting? The Shimano Calcutta TE300 is probably a closer match to the size of the Daiwa Pluton. Both the reels you have short listed are very capable pieces of equipment. The Pluton has a lower capacity and a smoother drag out of the box. The shimano can be upgraded with a Jack Erskine Carbontex drag kit if necessary later down the track. The Pluton is more suited to cast and retrieve compared to the Calcutta.

Hope this helps
    Rockfish

Hey Rockfish, thanks for your input. The type of fishing I will be doing is mainly chasing snapper on soft plastics. I have seen people lose potentially trophy size fish when the snap hits the lure on the drop and they can't get the bail-arm over. This is why I am looking at going for a baitcaster, although I am a big fan of my Tierra 4000. If the Pluton had a bigger max drag and line capacity I would be stoked. What casting problems have you encountered with the calcutta?

Na Goldfinch, I am not one of those guys who feels like they have to jam the fish down the camera lens!

I really thought there would of been more than 1 guy out there who has an opinion on/ owned a calcutta or Pluton.

Quote Originally Posted by addobaz View Post
    Hey Rockfish, thanks for your input. The type of fishing I will be doing is mainly chasing snapper on soft plastics. I have seen people lose potentially trophy size fish when the snap hits the lure on the drop and they can't get the bail-arm over. This is why I am looking at going for a baitcaster, although I am a big fan of my Tierra 4000. If the Pluton had a bigger max drag and line capacity I would be stoked. What casting problems have you encountered with the calcutta?

Hi

I'd be very surprised if you found that you needed any more maximum drag force than what is produced by the Pluton. Keep in mind these are a very serious reel, the drag force and smoothness of the Pluton is IMO far superior to that of a standard TE Calcutta. The Pluton's carbon drag system provided very smooth near maximum performance over extended periods. The Calcutta may have a higher max drag created during initial start up however i think you will find this will decrease during the fight. This is not to say the TE Calcutta wont perform. These reels are designed for the nastiest fish from the toughest terrain. A snapper should pose no problems for both reels. The Pluton is capable of pulling trophy size barra from impoundment timbers or fingermark off rock bars, a snapper just simple will not put the same amount of hurt on your tackle. As for line capacity i cannot see a snapper running off near 250-300m of 30lb braid at maximum drag force so the Pluton should be fine. At this kind of drag pressure you will have to consider the quality of all terminal tackle and knots.

The closing of a bail arm has the potential to snap the braid due to almost no stretch properties of the line and the sudden and harsh engagement. I baitcaster may prove little different if you go from free spool to engaged with a heavy set drag. Its the initial shock of the engagement thats' the trouble. There is more room for play with a baitcaster IMO. What line weight are you looking to use? I would suggest anything below 50lb (yes 50lb) will snap like cotton on spool engagement of either the Pulton or the Calcutta if set to near maximum drag force.

Alot of barra fishers (its what i do) say the 300 and 400 TE Calcutta are a not quite as good at casting the smaller sized barra lollies so i would suggest this may be an issue you encounter during snapper fishing quite often. A Pluton will cast 70mm hard bodies ok but the Calcutta will not. Depends what jig heads you are using techniques etc

Have a look at the Daiwa Luna 300 also. Whack in a Jack Erskine Carbontex drag and you've got one tough a reliable reel.

Just my thoughts
    Rockfish

Hey Rockfish, you just sold me on the Pluton. If it can do the job on Barra like the one you are holding up then a snap should prove to be no problem. I may have to keep my drag a bit looser on impact of strike then crank it up after the initial hookup. You are right about the line class, 30LB is about what I normally run.
    Thanks for the advice Rockfish.

Quote Originally Posted by addobaz View Post
    Hey Rockfish, you just sold me on the Pluton. If it can do the job on Barra like the one you are holding up then a snap should prove to be no problem. I may have to keep my drag a bit looser on impact of strike then crank it up after the initial hookup. You are right about the line class, 30LB is about what I normally run.
    Thanks for the advice Rockfish.
    I think you will be very happy with the Pluton. No worries pulling in a barra like that with the Pluton....time after time. I use between 20, 30 and 50lb on my baitcasters typically so the Pluton will have no worries chasing big snaps. I would certainly recommend adjusting the drag as described when using the 30lb braid, no stretch and sudden engagement is always a killer. Leader length and type...be that flouro or mono will also make a difference to the shock absorbing characteristics of your set up.

Cheers
    Rockfish

I have a Pluton which I'm using on an Egrell B10. I cannot fault it, although I've only used it on one trip to PNG. It stopped Yellowfin, Stripies, Trevally, Black Bass and anything else that happened along. I'm running 50lb braid over mine.

Mate if it can pull up those black bass there isn't a Snapper out there which it won't be able to handle. The Black Bass would of tested out the drag pretty well hey! Is the drag as smooth as I have heard?

Yep, smooth as a baby's

Well Adobaz......you are about to be the proud owner of the Daiwa Pluton. Ordered and paid for today from good ol Uncle Sam land. Shame you wont have it for Friday !!!