Thread: Sole - Legal Length

Sole - Legal Length

Caught a sole in the Bay yesterday (I didn't catch it personally..one of the crew on board caught it)...cannot find the legal length anywhere..anyone know ????

Re: Sole - Legal Length

No legal size in Qld

cheers tim

thanks for that Tim..I assumed that may have been the case as I could not find them mentioned anywhere but better to ask and find out.

do not get confused with a Flounder, many do, a Sole and a Flounder are very different species and certain restrictions apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    do not get confused with a Flounder, many do, a Sole and a Flounder are very different species and certain restrictions apply.
    What restrictions are they? I cant find any information on size/bag limits for either sole or flounder, which leads me to believe they are unrestricted.
    simon

The ocean is the ultimate solution - Frank Zappa

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/qq9/slyman71/

Sole (in NSW) are now included with Flounder and have a size limit of 25cm and a total bag limit of 20, I was told that Flounder have a size in QLD, but not Sole, so maybe best to be sure and ring them or look for some obscure web page that describes species that are not classed as "common"

There are no bag or size limits on sole or flounder in Queensland....according to DPI

Pete

OK, that's fine then, no problems.

Tasty little buggers too
    simon

The ocean is the ultimate solution - Frank Zappa

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/qq9/slyman71/

Am I right in saying a flounder has both its eyes on the top of the head(mouth on side) and the sole has eyes one top and a blind one on bottom?

Cheers

chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

no, in general terms, identity is as simple as a Sole does not have a tail, a Flounder does! they both have their eyes on the top when they get bigger, they start off when really small as a "normal" fish and the eyes just sort of migrate around to one side and they lay flat on the bottom.