Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Import Taxes on reels

Import Taxes on reels

HI All,

I am looking at buying (first time) a reel from the states.
    Was wanting to know if there is Import Taxes on the gear once it arrives ?

The order will be no more than $330 USD
    And will be getting it from Tackledirect - Charbait or e bay

Has anyone had bad dealings with either of these guys ?

Thanks for the help.

Joe

Re: Import Taxes on reels

No nothing on that example. If your total purchase including freight equals or exceeds $1000AUD then you will get hammered.

The deal also works in your favour if for example you would like to purchase 2 items from the states but the combined will exceed 1k aud you can split them up but ensure they do not come in on the same flight or through custom's together in any way or else you will be up for all of those Australian dead money tax's on their combined total.

cheers fnq

you wont pay any tax when it comes into australia as the shipping and total price will be less than $1000 aud

and when it is more then 1000, the suppliers will usually do a mock invoice for 980 if you ask politely

Thats good to hear and thank you for your replies.

I have always been big on, buy it local - get the warranty etc etc. but i will be saving close to $140.

joe

you wont pay any tax when it comes into australia as the shipping and total price will be less than $1000 aud
    I wouldn't be so categorical... The chances are that you probably won't pay tax, but there is no guarantee! The truth is, you need a bit of luck!

Basically, if your order gets mailed via US Mail (US equivalent to Australia Post), and the invoice value is less than AUD$1000, then you will not pay tax . But if your order is shipped by Fedex/UPS, then the rules change... My understanding is that if the tax is more than $50, then you are liable for tax. Most of the time, the stuff just goes through, but sometimes, possibly depending on the goods description (not a rule, just my own experience), the customs broker might decide to have a look... When that happens (happened to me twice ), then you are stung by the customs duty + GST + broker fee and they won't release your order until you pay (I think I'll hate Fedex until I die for that scam! ).

NB: My last US order was from ReelSeller, and it was smooth sailing.

Quote Originally Posted by metaloid View Post
    then you are stung by the customs duty + GST + broker fee and they won't release your order until you pay
    Thanks for the info Metaloid.

So assuming they charge 10% for the GST, what do the customs duty and broker's fee work out to be if one gets stung?

I actually have a package thats "Package available for clearance" (just tracked my package, which totals abt 900AUD) , due for delivery trow.

I wonder if that means I'm in the clear

So assuming they charge 10% for the GST, what do the customs duty and broker's fee work out to be if one gets stung?
    From memory the custom's duty is not all that much (maybe 5-10%) but the real stinker is the the broker's fee...$80 for doing no work what-so-ever. All the taxes,etc. are legal, so I don't have any beef with that, but don't get me started on the nice little scam with broker fees!

I wonder if that means I'm in the clear
    Yeah mate, you're all clear otherwise they would haved call you.

I wouldn't be so categorical... The chances are that you probably won't pay tax, but there is no guarantee! The truth is, you need a bit of luck!

Basically, if your order gets mailed via US Mail (US equivalent to Australia Post), and the invoice value is less than AUD$1000, then you will not pay tax . But if your order is shipped by Fedex/UPS, then the rules change... My understanding is that if the tax is more than $50, then you are liable for tax. Most of the time, the stuff just goes through, but sometimes, possibly depending on the goods description (not a rule, just my own experience), the customs broker might decide to have a look... When that happens (happened to me twice ), then you are stung by the customs duty + GST + broker fee and they won't release your order until you pay (I think I'll hate Fedex until I die for that scam! ).

NB: My last US order was from ReelSeller, and it was smooth sailing.
    THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT POINT!!.
    Whatever you do make sure the shipper is mailing thru USPS ( the US Post system) and NOT FEDEX or UPS as they are private agents. Get it clear THERE IS A MAJOR DIFFERENCE BETWEEN USPS AND UPS! As posted by others, if the total is under $1000 au you will be fine and USPS has several options as far as speed of delivery but these days it is all by air so you almost always have it inside of 24 days.

don't get me started on the nice little scam with broker fees!
    Yeah mate, you're all clear otherwise they would haved call you.
    I always provision for items to be taxed just in case but the broker's fee sounds decidedly sleezy.

In any case, you were right Met, package arrived safe, taxless and broker's fee-less I've been exceedingly lucky with every single package I've had shipped over, be it from the US or Jpn, but I still get a little nervous for the time when the bubble bursts.

Quote Originally Posted by odes20 View Post
    THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT POINT!!.
    Whatever you do make sure the shipper is mailing thru USPS ( the US Post system) and NOT FEDEX or UPS as they are private agents. Get it clear THERE IS A MAJOR DIFFERENCE BETWEEN USPS AND UPS! As posted by others, if the total is under $1000 au you will be fine and USPS has several options as far as speed of delivery but these days it is all by air so you almost always have it inside of 24 days.
    My item was shipped Fedex International Economy, it arrived without incident, and in a short 3 working days. Its probably more important that the total value of the package does not exceed 1000AUD, being careful to comply with this threshold in AUD and not USD, along with making sure u include the cost of shipping within that threshold.

That being said, I have the other half of my order coming in a few weeks, I hope that gets thru without incident as well. Then after THAT, a bunch of rods will be shipped via UPS (or was that USPS,gotta check).

Will probably start building up some good karma between now and then and hope everything goes smoothly

I've just learn't this bitter lesson today when UPS just screwed me $308 in GST, fees & other taxes and there's nothing I could do about it as they hold your goods to ransom .........the bastards

Wish I'd read this thread beforehand but I will just have to put it down to experience...these people are nuthin' but THIEVES IMHO.

Been importing stuff for years when the AUD was healthy, and this is the first time I've been stung.

ps. steer clear of Tackle Direct as there are many better options out there. They don't seem to carry much stock, provide poor service & there are lengthy delays in receiving your order. They won't get my business again.

Quote Originally Posted by bassfan View Post
    I've just learn't this bitter lesson today when UPS just screwed me $308 in GST, fees & other taxes and there's nothing I could do about it as they hold your goods to ransom .........the bastards

Wish I'd read this thread beforehand but I will just have to put it down to experience...these people are nuthin' but THIEVES IMHO.

Been importing stuff for years when the AUD was healthy, and this is the first time I've been stung.

ps. steer clear of Tackle Direct as there are many better options out there. They don't seem to carry much stock, provide poor service & there are lengthy delays in receiving your order. They won't get my business again.
    Mate that sucks big time !!

Who are the better options other than Tackle direct ?

Thanks for the feedback !

I just received my pflueger patriarch from the USA. It was sent express via USPS. It arrived in 6 days, which was fast enough.

Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by bassfan View Post
    I've just learn't this bitter lesson today when UPS just screwed me $308 in GST, fees & other taxes and there's nothing I could do about
    Sorry to hear abt the taxes/fees. That really sucks. I just remembered that my gf was pinged once, when she bought me abt 1200 bucks worth of golf stuff for my birthday. Bit of a nasty shock really.

So what were the circumstances in ur case? Was it just a matter of the total $$$ being over AUD1000? Was your package just lure/reel sized items or did it include rods?

the big problem with importing your stuff is, it is a lottery, most get through with no problems at all, but every now and then, someone (bassfan?) gets checked and made to pay (and this also applies to goods under $1000) if the item is available in this Country in a store and "they" feel like checking, you will be caught, (but it is rare) but if you do, it will cost you plenty, just call them and find out first hand, or play the game and hope for the best, you will probably get away with it.