Thread: Dilly ban

Dilly ban

Is it true that as of March 2010 dillys or witches hats will be banned in QLD

Re: Dilly ban

I have heard that, they have been banned for a very long time in certain places in NSW because they are classified as a net!

Angry Re: Dilly ban

the use of inverted dilly appartus (witches hats) is to be phased out. the use of this appartus will be prohibited from 2 april 2010

bought a couple last week from tackle wharehouse on cold clevland rd last week and the bloke didnt say nething bout it found out myself couple of days later not happy jan

hahah of coarse he didnt,wouldnt wanna ruin a sale now would they?There a mob of turkeys in there, they had the new measure sticker made for next year and i had to tell him that tarwin and bream are a combined limit of 30 and the sizes were all wrong..They dont give give knobs of goat turd as long as there making a living...

Crabs and lobsters

Crabbing gear Crabbing gear

Crab pots and dillies

In tidal waters, when fishing for blue swimmer crabs, mud crabs and spanner crabs, no more than four crab pots or dillies (or a combination of pots and dillies) may be used per person. Also a person must not possess more than four crab apparatus per person, on a boat on the water.
    Crab pots and dillies must be marked by an identifying tag bearing the surname and address of the owner.
    When not attached to a fixed object (for example tied to a tree above the high water mark), all crab apparatus must have a light coloured surface float attached. The float must not be less than 15 cm in any dimension and must be marked clearly with the owner's name.
    When tied to a fixed object, a tag must also be attached to part of the rope that is above the high water mark. The tag must be marked clearly with the owner's name.
    The use of inverted dilly apparatus (witches hats) is to be phased out. The use of this apparatus will be prohibited from 2 April 2010.
    When fishing for spanner crabs, the frame of a dilly must be made of solid steel of a thickness of at least 6 mm and no more than 1 m in each of its dimensions. If a collapsible trap is used it must be made of rigid material and have one or more collapsible sides.
    Female or undersized crabs must be removed from the trap and returned to the water immediately.
    Note: The age limit for the recreational use of crab apparatus has been removed.
    Collapsible trap

In tidal waters, a collapsible trap must be made of rigid material with one or more collapsible sides.
    ID and measurement

Crab gender identification and crustacean measurement

Determine crab gender from the underside of the crab.

From the DPI&F website which all information can be found.

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/cps/rde/dp...1_ENA_HTML.htm

Cheers Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

while were on the crabbing subject do u have to be over 16 to be classed as another person? or is it any ages like an adult and a 5 yr old means they can have 8 pots or only 4?
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

Quote Originally Posted by ifish86 View Post
    bought a couple last week from tackle wharehouse on cold clevland rd last week and the bloke didnt say nething bout it found out myself couple of days later not happy jan
    It might just be the places I chase my sandies, but I used to be flat out making a dilly last any longer than one summer, the odd muddy sees to that. These days I much prefer to use cheap collapsible pots for sandies anyway.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Skusto View Post
    while were on the crabbing subject do u have to be over 16 to be classed as another person? or is it any ages like an adult and a 5 yr old means they can have 8 pots or only 4?
    No not any more, technically any person is able to run their 4 pots no matter what the age, however practicality tells you that this would really only apply to those that are capable of using them., I reckon as long as your son/daughter/neice/nephew can pull their own pots, then they can have their 4 pots in the drink

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    Crabs and lobsters

Crabbing gear Crabbing gear

Crab pots and dillies

In tidal waters, when fishing for blue swimmer crabs, mud crabs and spanner crabs, no more than four crab pots or dillies (or a combination of pots and dillies) may be used per person. Also a person must not possess more than four crab apparatus per person, on a boat on the water.
    Crab pots and dillies must be marked by an identifying tag bearing the surname and address of the owner.
    When not attached to a fixed object (for example tied to a tree above the high water mark), all crab apparatus must have a light coloured surface float attached. The float must not be less than 15 cm in any dimension and must be marked clearly with the owner's name.
    When tied to a fixed object, a tag must also be attached to part of the rope that is above the high water mark. The tag must be marked clearly with the owner's name.
    The use of inverted dilly apparatus (witches hats) is to be phased out. The use of this apparatus will be prohibited from 2 April 2010.
    When fishing for spanner crabs, the frame of a dilly must be made of solid steel of a thickness of at least 6 mm and no more than 1 m in each of its dimensions. If a collapsible trap is used it must be made of rigid material and have one or more collapsible sides.
    Female or undersized crabs must be removed from the trap and returned to the water immediately.
    Note: The age limit for the recreational use of crab apparatus has been removed.
    Collapsible trap

In tidal waters, a collapsible trap must be made of rigid material with one or more collapsible sides.
    ID and measurement

Crab gender identification and crustacean measurement

Determine crab gender from the underside of the crab.

From the DPI&F website which all information can be found.

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/cps/rde/dp...1_ENA_HTML.htm

Cheers Phill
    Ok Here is a queston can you use dilley netting on a hoop dilley as in figure 1above it is not then a witches hat crabs could still walk on it to get at the bait and maybe get snared so when you pul the dilley up the just don't swim off turtles will not get caught in it as they swim not sit and sharks ect would just eat the bait
    any idea's or have they outlawed the mesh ect

shane

Ausfish Platinum Member - R.I.P. October 2015 dayoo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robersl View Post
    Ok Here is a queston can you use dilley netting on a hoop dilley as in figure 1above it is not then a witches hat crabs could still walk on it to get at the bait and maybe get snared so when you pul the dilley up the just don't swim off turtles will not get caught in it as they swim not sit and sharks ect would just eat the bait
    any idea's or have they outlawed the mesh ect

shane
    There is nothing to stop you using a witches hat dilly as a hoop dilly provided it has no float and is secured by roap/nylon cord as per the pic posted by Phill.
    It is then classed as a hoop dilly.

Cheers
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by dayoo View Post
    There is nothing to stop you using a withces hat dilly as a hoop dilly provided it has no float and is secured by roap/nylon cord as per the pic posted by Phill.
    It is then classed as a hoop dilly.

Cheers
    Barry
    Thats good then if that is the case i can shorten my nets take the float off and turn it upside down

Inverted net (witches hat) dillis are out. Hoop dillis are in...

...I can use a hoop dilli with a float

There is nothing to stop you using a withces hat dilly as a hoop dilly provided it has no small float attached to the netting and is secured by rope/nylon cord as per the pic posted by Phill.
    It is then classed as a hoop dilly...

...A (surface) float (15cm, light coloured) on a hoop dilli is ok (must have surname on). If no float (ie attached to boat/jetty - must have surname on a tag where dilli is tied above the high water mark.

There is no netting size limit for salt water dillis. (There is for freshwater) ... see page 32 of the following link.

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/documents/...shing-regs.pdf

Kind Rgds
    Dave

Does anyone know if these are legal?
    IMG_2165.jpg

Yes they are.

Post from Almoka above

Got set of 4 myself been using that type for years no issues
    mitch
    In life, start off wrong and you'll finish wrong. Put just one skeleton in the closet and you'll have to put another one in to hide the first, and so it goes.
    But start off right and you'll finish right. There's no comeback when you stick to the truth - and no skeletons!