Thread: Suffix Braid Vs Sunline Super Pe Braid

Suffix Braid Vs Sunline Super Pe Braid

I'm tossing up on which braid to spool my Shimano bait runner 12000D. Should I go for the suffix braid in 50lb or the Sunline super PE 50lb. What would be your recommendations? What are the pros and cons of both braids? Any help would be great

Cheers Joe

Re: Suffix Braid Vs Sunline Super Pe Braid

I have bought a few rolls of sufix and will never get it again. I have had issues with it breaking. But if you do get it, remember that it is rated closer to actual than most braids, so 50 is not really a comparison to other 50's.

I've had a few problems with Sunline PE but mostly in the lighter breaking strains.

If you're going for 50lb line then I would go for Castaway PE. A bit more expensive but brilliant stuff!

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Cheech View Post
    I have bought a few rolls of sufix and will never get it again. I have had issues with it breaking. But if you do get it, remember that it is rated closer to actual than most braids, so 50 is not really a comparison to other 50's.
    Same here, dont like the stuff now. As it got older and not so old that it should have been replaced the knot strength went to Shite and the slightest touch on a rock popped it. Spot on about its breaking strain as well, very close to stated. I was using the suffix tailor spinning.

I used Sunline Super PE 40lb for outside and really liked it until a stuff up from me cost me the whole spool. Nice and smooth and i didnt notice any problems with knot strength. Have also had some problems with the lighter breaking strains as it got older even though they havent seen a lot of use.

Out of the two i would def go the Sunline.

I salute you... if i asked someone what line to put on my reel and they said 'fishing line'...thats what i'd use.

the sunline PE is the worst braid i have used

I'd go Woodstock braid, and you can get it from another Ausfisher who is the importer. It is really good stuff.
    Give Paul a PM or ring him, here is a link.
    http://www.pcwi.com.au/fishing/index.htm
    Woodstock is a Spectra braid made by the Honeywell group, which means it is made by the people who make lots and lots of Spectra. It is thin, quite round for a Spectra and for its diameter, breaks well above it quoted BS.
    I'm using it in 20 lb and it is, especially for the money, excellent.
    Tim

G'day slayer,

I use sufix almost on everything - closest to the rated breaking strain - never had a problem with it just breaking or around knot strength, I've got spin reels loaded with matrix pro and overheads loaded with both the performance and the jigging pro.

Some is around 3yrs old, like I said, never a problem for me

cheers

rhys
    ><((((º>.¸.•'´¯)

Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved, Gabriel Marcel

Quote Originally Posted by shanejohnson View Post
    the sunline PE is the worst braid i have used
    LOL... and your reasoning behind that statement?

The braid arguement really is a personal thing.

I reckon certain types of braid are better for certain types of fishing.

In the case of Sunline super PE it is a very fine,very smooth braid which is advantageous to guys throwing lures for barra and bass using baitcasters.
    On light spinning reels this stuff can be a nightmare with wind knots.
    It is also rediculously priced.

For offshore use and other areas like rock fishing I reckon you are better sticking with your tuffer,slightly thicker braids like Tuff line XP,Fins,Jerry Brown and even fireline (up to 20lb).These all have a long life too and are reasonably priced.

Just my opinion and what works well for me,

Pete

i've just bought a spool of 50lb 832, it was closed between sunline and the sufix. I use sunline on all my light gear and its a great braid, its smooth and cast well.
    In the 50lb line the sufix just appeared smoother when compared. i also run fins 50lb on another reel and fins looks course compared to the sufix now.
    i'll see how it goes.

For 50lb plus I always come back to Fins, I agree with Muttonchop that it is coarser than other braids like suffix but it is super tough and lasts for years and years without degrading (Finn's PRT Original in green would be my pick of the store braids).

You are putting it on a baitrunner so toughness and longevity are the key considerations, casitng distance & smoothness are secondary considerations.

I spooled a braitrunner 7 years ago with PRT original and its still going strong and has never let me down. (Wouldn't be my choice for lighter SP outfits though)

Yep,
    I think Crunchy is on the money there.
    We have just respooled our gear again with Fins, it doesn't claim to be the best or the thinnest, it's just good reliable stuff that holds knots well and stands up to some punishment. It is a very consistent product and they haven't changed it for years, they don't need to.
    I've tried some fancy expensive stuff and most was either too fine, or too delicate, or hated line twist etc etc, so as far as bang for buck goes, you can do far worse than Fins.
    I can't get Woodstock anymore (and it was USA Spectra made by Honeywell, almost identical to Fins), so in 10 lb and up, Fins it is.
    Tim