Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Few upgrades?

Few upgrades?

Well the old 2003 Gu Patrol now has 150k on the clock and on its service i asked them to go through it, all good but the original suspension has sagged over time and a few bits need attention, so it a basic 2" lift being looked at,Im being recommended EFS.. not being a mechanic etc, its just a brand to me so anyone with experience have a view on them, as you see so many brands out there? ironman etc etc

Im not that concerned if i get a lift or not honestly but just want it right, being quoted around $1600

also looking at making the patrol more capable ( the just in case principle), im not into hardcore rock crawling, more touring etc but sometimes you do end down a goat track,

thinking of a locker for the front as well, recommended is a Lock-Right auto locker and getting heavy duty manual hubs for the front. Most of my driving is actually on the black stuff with half a house in the back (have to keep wife 'appy') so any thoughts on these as against the arb airlockers?

PS its a 3.0 ltre auto and hasn't blown up as yet
    Tangles KFC

Re: Few upgrades?

all the way mate:
    6" lift
    33" tyres
    air lockers
    HID lights
    mud tyres
    a GPS
    Spot lights on the roof
    winch

and then...
    something under the bonnet so you can at least stay with me on the highway

forget lockrite's, ezy lockers etc. I gave 1 away on ausfish a while ago because its total garbage (some people are happy with them). Cant go past air locker.

Give my mate Shane from suspension stuff a call. He's in moss street. He gets dobinson to make his own coils for him, and does proven kits. He is also a top guy and will return coils etc if your not happy with them.

I would highly recommend his 3" flexi coil package. Great, soft and smooth on road and excellent travel offroad. But have a chat to him and tell him what you want.

https://www.suspensionstuff.com.au/s...c7de93ad993c41

Or if you dont want to spend the $$ just yet, Ive got some stock gu coils you can have for nothing.

Yeah absolutely stay away from the those lockers, air lockers or my favourite soft lockers for the front only.

cheers fnq

Mate, I thought about a suspension raising but one important factor stops me.
    My @rse is too close to the ground.
    I'd rather be able to get in and out easily 10 times a day for the little benefit I would have received from raising Mrs Palmer by even 2 inches.
    Thinking about it I would like to lower her 2 inches.
    She's definitely a highway warrior too.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

03, 150 kms, zd30 - yeah I'd be upgrading it too. New Cruiser looks good. I wouldn't have the nuts to hang on to it Mike, but I hope you've got a good one if you're going to keep it mate.
    Have you found it's limits offroad? A well driven patrol shouldn't need a locker most places in the country outside of 4wd parks and playing silly buggers.
    A bit of new suspension and some traction tyres will also make a big difference to the car's ability.
    Have you broken a hub or seen what's required to break a hub? Don't think you want to take a 2" lifted unlocked tourer in those places - keep the oe's unless you've had trouble with them already?

Well i need new suspension so ill be doing that... sound advice GBC....ill sit on the locker for a bit. Havent found its limits with the sort of stuff i do and doubt i will.

The new cruisers are a bit pricey for me.
    Tangles KFC

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post
    Have you found it's limits offroad? A well driven patrol shouldn't need a locker most places in the country outside of 4wd parks and playing silly buggers.
    A bit of new suspension and some traction tyres will also make a big difference to the car's ability.

I tend to agree. I'm no expert, but my GUIII was stock standard (apart from koni's and AT's) and on 4WD trips with the club it went ANYWHERE. They are very very capable as is off road, IMO. I reckon your car has what it needs.

I met a guy the other day who had just had his first trouble with his 03 GUIII. It blew up, but he had 300,000 on the clock, so some go the distance (ish, anyway). He towed a van a lot. ME? I'd be nervous about it...

On the black stuff it was a dog compared to the 200 Series. You'll never fix that without spending 70 grand on top of the trade in!

Cheers Mate,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

But Tim, those cruisers are a great car no doubt, but it has that annoying reverse beep beep beep... ( anyway off to Mooloolabah)
    Tangles KFC

Capable GU in standard form NAAAAA,,,, Are soon as you hit any bit of articulation in the rear (Carroded washed out tracks, dry creek crossings) your lsd will break and you'll sit there spinning. Although they are way better than a cruiser lsd's. Even after you have the correct size shocks fitted for you suspension lift for max travel (brake lines aswell etc). It will still sit there spinning the wheel that has the least resistance.

Suspension travel only keeps you in contact with the ground and stops you from rolling/rocking aswell as body clearance. Lockers keep you going. You cant really have 1 with out the other. Then it comes down to grip.

Quote Originally Posted by TimiBoy View Post

"I met a guy the other day who had just had his first trouble with his 03 GUIII. It blew up,"

Tim
    Ha ha haaa, I wouldnt call that trouble Tim. Id call that a catastrophe.

The only problem you have with that vehicle Mike is the badge on the front..scrap it and get a real one and then think about some mods.
    but then, who am I to talk..I don't even know how to drive on sand..never really tried it.

Mate just put a 3" system on mine and amazing the difference it made to the performance of the car, well worth the 1000 to do it, and mines a turbo and 50 years old ???, oh yeah the badge does have something to do with it ????

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    The only problem you have with that vehicle Mike is the badge on the front..scrap it and get a real one and then think about some mods.
    Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    yeah the badge does have something to do with it ????
    Will that badge do???

Or maybe??

I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    Will that badge do???

Or maybe??

hahaha..his is below the Lada one I think.