Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fishing over scuba divers

Re: Fishing over scuba divers

Quote Originally Posted by bondy99 View Post
    Those who drink piss at sea deserve what they get and they get into a car and drive home, morons putting other lives at risk.
    Bondy99,
    If this is directed at me and my post then pull your head in you self righteuos pr@#k. My mate had too much to drink the night before, not on the water. I don't drink and don't allow excesssive drinking on my boat. Having read alot of your post's ( always good for a laugh- I refer to you as Bummy99) I always thought you were a knob, now I know for sure. Buy a boat (I know you used to own 1 blah blah blah) and some crab pots and a car that goes and f#@k off and fish......Smoker............

If it wasn't directed at me you are still a knob........

Classic!!

Nearly blew a headgasket from laughing so hard.

Quote Originally Posted by b j p View Post
    I have contacted the Queensland Water Police and Department of Main Roads and Transport to see what clarifications they can give surrounding a scenario like this. I'll post their replies once I get them.

Hopefully their answers might help some people and their 'fuses'.

b j p

Did you get a reply? or was it too hard a question for them??

The regs need badly to be changed to also include the dropping of a flag within X metres of another boat not engaged in diving.

cheers fnq

What a great thread! Therapy that was pretty funny!. I guess if it were me and a dive boat started anchoring the conversation would have gone pretty close to this:

"Hey mate, your not going to anchor up there are you? Really? Fair go mate, I was hear first can you move away a bit further... at least 30m? No? Well I'll tell you what, this Jig is about to be attached to my jig rod and 18000SW Stella. Everything in a 30m radius to my boat is about to get a real good working over for the next couple of hours do you think thats a good idea to dive so close?"

Let him make the decision for you.

On the flip side to that, The Ex HMAS Brisbane off Mooloolaba was sunk there specifiaclly for divers and is a greenzone. Friends of mine that dive it tell me that it gets some great schools of kings and heaps of other fish. They'll go out and find all the fish gone and hooks all over the wreck after fisho's have hit it at night..... Totaly ruining what was there for weeks later.

Cheers

Chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Cool Re: Fishing over scuba divers

One peice of advice i will give being a diver and a fisho. Don't abuse the divers before they enter the water about anchoring to close. Most divers find it funny to grab your anchor and wrap it around the wreck and then watch you burst a blood vessel trying to retrieve it. It also means they have an endless supply of spare anchors for their dive boats.
    One other comment i'll make is that if it wasn't for Frank Curtain and the URGQ dive club he established, then there would be no artificial reef. I have been involved first hand, and seen the time and effort volunteers put in to cleaning up the boats to meet EPA guidelines before they are scuttled. Crawling around the bilge of a fifty year old working boat removing oil and grease sludge is a labour of love.

Everyone just needs to take a deep breath at times and remember that were are all lucky enough to be living in paradise!!!

Quote Originally Posted by harry9972 View Post
    One peice of advice i will give being a diver and a fisho. Don't abuse the divers before they enter the water about anchoring to close. Most divers find it funny to grab your anchor and wrap it around the wreck and then watch you burst a blood vessel trying to retrieve it. It also means they have an endless supply of spare anchors for their dive boats.

With comments like this I'm starting to develop a dislike for divers in general (something I previously didn't have).Do you think you are a law unto yourself because of a few hours work?Wake up to yourself and take your own advice.(last line)

I didn't say I condone the wrapping of anchor ropes around wrecks, but i do know of it occuring and thought that it may be something people need to be aware off. I apologise for the comment that "most Divers find it funny" as that tars them all with the same brush. What i should of said was that a small minority do, as with all groups be they fisho's or divers there will be those who bring a bad name on their chosen sport.

Quote Originally Posted by TimiBoy View Post
    Divers have 16% of prime Moreton Bay seascape that fishos can't use. Why don't they just p!$$ off and use that?

If a boat pulled up that close to me and ran up the dive flag the bottle of Tuna oil would be proudly displayed, along with a few choice words to the skipper, then I'd tip the lot over the side, along with any spare berley, while I called

"Here Sharkey Sharkey Sharkey!"

Fisho divers are cool, they know the drill. The Greenie divers are nothing better than shark bait, and should be treated as such.

Cheers,

tim
    After reading some of your recent comments on the thread concerning smoking in cars, I think that these actions would have you profiled as a GRUB..........

Muzz

Quote Originally Posted by onerabbit View Post
    After reading some of your recent comments on the thread concerning smoking in cars, I think that these actions would have you profiled as a GRUB..........

Muzz
    Why thankyou. Such remarks I will always take as compliments. You are a kind and generous person, obviously.

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Not that I really want to re-ignite the intensity of comment re divers versus fishermen but I found this posting from a Divers site to be intriguing. The thread related to the Harry Atkinson Artificial Reef.

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

Ref: http://www.diveoz.com.au/discussion_...TOPIC_ID=16245

Wow,

Some interesting posts here! Judging from some of the morons posting on this thread, it is no doubt that Moreton Bay is in the state it is with few fish for divers to look at or for fishos to catch.
    I've been fishing and diving Moreton bay for 20 years so I can speak for both.
    1) Rest assure divers don't scare fish away, you just couldn't catch them that day, if they were there at all.
    2) Feel free to throw all the burley and blood you like in the water, divers love to see sharks.
    3) Everybody, chill out, stop sucking your thumb and share the bay with everyone.
    4) Make friends with the divers they are a great asset to tell you what's down there and retrieve your anchor for you when you fowl it.

However, don't be to worried, as Mud Island is a s##th##se dive at the best of times and I don't think you will see many divers there as a rule.

As for this I was there first rule afew people are throwing around, the last time I heard that was in the kindergarden playground.

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

divers dont stop and dive near me when im fishing lol and never will ilmoa

hilly

Quote Originally Posted by gr hilly View Post
    divers dont stop and dive near me when im fishing lol and never will ilmoa

hilly
    Exactly.

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

I had another spearfisho incident around boat rock at just after christmas this year, hear I am trolling along around the rocks, here comes this inflatable, pulls up within thirty meters of me and throws out a dive flag.

Now doing the right thing I thought, I will move away give him a bit of room troll around to the other side, well I get there, and in not less than 2 minutes the
    pr$%k turns up throws the flag out again.

Me and the decki are watching this bloke start moving his boat closer to us, then throws out the flag again. while the spearos in the water further away.

We let it go this time but if it happens again me and the deckie are gunna have a chat with this bloke and his idea of sharing the water and him keeping his distance from us.

Regards
    HOnda.

Deep Explorer,

I think you are missing the point here a little bit. If a diver is at a site flying the flag then it is require by law for all other boats to stay clear by at least 30m for safety reasons. It should also be observed by all divers both scuba or spearo's.

Giving each other a little bit of space is just common courtisy and should be respected by all boaties. We go out on the water to enjoy ourselves not be harrassed by others. That includes being able to fish the spot you just spent 2 hours burleying up and not have to worry about the safety aspects of divers being directly below your vessel.

I know you say that divers don't turn the fish off the chew, but with the track record of some divers out there do you expect line fishos to continue to give the benefit of the doubt?

It's easy there is a 30m rule in place for safety reasons, anglers don't anchor withing that range to an already flying flag and divers do the same to an already anchored angler. Keep a 30m distance and everyone is happy (that includes anchoring 30m away and diving under the angler).

Just a bit of respect at the end of the day hey?

Cheers

Chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.