Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fishing over scuba divers

Re: Fishing over scuba divers

I like how everyone carries shark burley with them at all times??????lolol

QUESTION: What if some young angler on here reads some of your posts and finds him self in a similar situation to this in the near future? What if that same young angler then decides to cary out somthing similar to what some of you have "claimed" you would do in this situation...And some one gets hurt or Killed???

Some people are complete psycho's... "They're to close so Hook Em... Bring in the sharks.... Cut their Anchor Ropes and leave them out there".... SETTLE DOWN YOU PSYCHOS!!!

I reckon I would have just given them a spray whilst they were dropping anchor! That usually results in an apology if your in the right. If they don't comply-then take further action- but no need to make ridiculous statements about serious action that can leave people hurt...or dead!

No need to talk it up tough boy's... Immature keyboard malitia... Oh So Tough! I hope you give your kids better advice then you have on here... Cause I'd hate to see them on a seven year stint in the clink because "I did what dad said he would do..."

Poddy Mullet,

would you mind outlining the coarse of action that one should take when the divers ignore your requests and dive right under your boat as per the original statement. Even continue tot he point that the divers ignore you completely. TIA

You see I feel a lot of people are sick of beating around the bush.
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Wow this thread got heated. Whilst I said I would do a bunch of shit, in reality I would just up and piss off, same as I do when some idiot anchors up next to me when I fish.

But, the problem here is not what you would or would not do, its just a plain and simple total lack of respect for others. If see someone fishing, i keep clear. I would do the same for a diver. Why cant they show the same level of respect back?

Quote Originally Posted by poddy mullet View Post
    QUESTION: What if some young angler on here reads some of your posts and finds him self in a similar situation to this in the near future? What if that same young angler then decides to cary out somthing similar to what some of you have "claimed" you would do in this situation...And some one gets hurt or Killed???

Some people are complete psycho's... "They're to close so Hook Em... Bring in the sharks.... Cut their Anchor Ropes and leave them out there".... SETTLE DOWN YOU PSYCHOS!!!

I reckon I would have just given them a spray whilst they were dropping anchor! That usually results in an apology if your in the right. If they don't comply-then take further action- but no need to make ridiculous statements about serious action that can leave people hurt...or dead!

No need to talk it up tough boy's... Immature keyboard malitia... Oh So Tough! I hope you give your kids better advice then you have on here... Cause I'd hate to see them on a seven year stint in the clink because "I did what dad said he would do..."
    I agree some statements have been extreme, but clearly you are an extremely placid guy..... or at least have a 300 meter long fuse.

Can you honestly tell me the stories you have heard today aren't utter bullsh1t? divers cutting lines and moving anchors... This is just down right arrogance and stupidity.
    I in no way condone harming a diver or anything like that.. but if someone was doing any one of these actions to me I can guarantee I would be up in arms and
    words best left off a forum being used. I can only assume that anyone in their right mind would feel the same... I'm not one to get stepped and nor are any of these guys as they clearly state.

Do a bad thing expect a bad reaction.
    I think you take what has been said by few and assume its meant by many here...

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King View Post
    Poddy Mullet,

would you mind outlining the coarse of action that one should take when the divers ignore your requests and dive right under your boat as per the original statement. Even continue tot he point that the divers ignore you completely. TIA

You see I feel a lot of people are sick of beating around the bush.

Firstly Garry, I am certainly not defending the actions of these two divers-what they did is disrepectful! There is no doubt about it.
    In answer to your question...

No request not to dive was made when they first pulled up. As I said before, from 20 metres away I would have given them a spray and expressed my concern. Charleville didn't do this... Not that he should bloody have to either mind you.

I can see the frustration, but talking about actions that can possibly f%$K a bloke permanetly is childish.

Comments like "I hooked a diver and enjoyed every jag"? (Not made by you Gary, but others). Thats a disgrace!

Quote Originally Posted by PatricsOnTheCoast View Post
    I in no way condone harming a diver or anything like that..
    Do a bad thing expect a bad reaction.
    I think you take what has been said by few and assume its meant by many here...

Same Here mate- up im arms and dropping f-bombs like there is no tommorow no doubt! I would be absolutly ropeable in that situation!

There is no way that I would take what is said by a few and think that it is ment by many though mate- You sure are wrong there as I love this site. Its grown my fishing, my learing and my understanding from the help I have received here.

The fact is, its just comments like "Greenine divers are only good for shark bait, and should be treated as such" that really p#$$ me off! How shallow can you be to make a call like that??

Plenty of those "Greenie Divers" do reef studies, habititat studies and so on that are critical to the future of fishing! There are some top blokes on this site- and there are some absolute neanderthals as well!
    Last edited by poddy mullet; 28-10-2009 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Spacing and Spelding (lol)

Unfortunately we are all categorizing each other here. We all asume the type of response of each other (the diver and the fisho) and no one can predict a coarse of action untill you are in that situation.

I think we can all agree on one thing tho that it was poor form from the divers.
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King View Post
    no one can predict a coarse of action untill you are in that situation.
    Your right spaniard, if the situation was for real every one would be different! Sitting at home on the keyboard how ever, some forget what it would really be like to be there and don't talk realistically! Talks cheap.

Thank goodness we have the "holier than thou"poddy mullet to keep things on the straight and narrow , good onya podster see you in church on sunday with all the other ausfishers you have undoubtedly "touched" with your school teacher type posts, ha ha ha, go the podster !!!

Quote Originally Posted by hooknose View Post
    You could have put out a swag of blood based burley, might have made for some light hearted entertainment !!
    Yep.... Neanderthal....

Quote Originally Posted by poddy mullet View Post
    No request not to dive was made when they first pulled up. As I said before, from 20 metres away I would have given them a spray and expressed my concern. Charleville didn't do this... Not that he should bloody have to either mind you.

To be honest, when they pulled up, I thought that they would be diving closer to where they were because they did spend a bit of time sounding the bottom before they dropped anchor and that wreck is said to stretch some distance northwards from where I was, which would be at the southern extremity.

In reality. most of their air bubbles came from within 10 metres of my boat which, as previously stated, means that my GPS mark must evidently be spot on for the best part of the wreck. You beaut!

In relation to all of the ire expressed here, I look for no disputes when I am out in the bay.This is especially because the bay can turn into a particularly hostile place, weather-wise, pretty damn quickly and the more friends that we make out on the water, the more likely that help will be volunteered if needed, I suspect.

In sales training parlance, call it "psychological reciprocacy" if you like. Viz, if I am nice to you, you will be nice to me. That is why I give a wave to every boat that I pass when on the water and the same reason that people wave to one another when they pass by in the remoter areas of the bush. Be nice to them - you don't know when you will need their help.

In relation to all of the Daffy Duck-like responses that are possible in these circumstances such as pouring shark attracting berley into the water, I am bound to quote the ancient Greek historian Thucycides who said that, "Of all manifestations of power, the one that impresses men most is restraint."

Or to put it another way, just because a bloke could pour shark attracting berley into the water doesn't mean that he should.

My original question was simply one of asking what the impact of the divers would be on the likelihood of catching fish, not whether I should suddenly imagine that I am Captain Hornblower and start firing weaponry of whatever sort at them.

If you want a a successful life, ya gotta pick your battles and not take umbrage at every thoughtless act that besets you. Otherwise, road rage results, often with tragic consequences.

Dangling a prawn over the side of a boat on pleasantly warm spring morning is enough pleasure in itself, Catching fish is a bonus when it happens.

I havent read this post until tonight...then I read all the post pages and if you are not caught up in it its actually pretty funny (the thread that is)....

I wonder if they wouldnt mind catching a few while they are down there and then sticking the hook into them - that would give me better luck than im havin lately

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Quote Originally Posted by charleville View Post
    In relation to all of the Daffy Duck-like responses that are possible in these circumstances such as pouring shark attracting berley into the water, I am bound to quote the ancient Greek historian Thucycides who said that, "Of all manifestations of power, the one that impresses men most is restraint."

Or to put it another way, just because a bloke could pour shark attracting berley into the water doesn't mean that he should.

Dangling a prawn over the side of a boat on pleasantly warm spring morning is enough pleasure in itself, Catching fish is a bonus when it happens.
    I completely agree with everything you've said mate, you and I both have a "300m long fuse" Even though some of the stories told in this thread really piss me off I would not endanger life or cause malicious damage! Let karma catch up with such people. I have no doubt it will.

I particularly agree with your attitude to fishing as well. It's about relaxation, not claiming a patch of ocean and defending it from all and sundry.

Quote Originally Posted by charleville View Post
    So the question is, do scuba divers scare away the fish?
    Ah yes the original question! No, scuba divers don't necessarily scare away fish. I remember when I started snorkelling my instinct was to swim straight towards fish, they would see it as predatory action and swim away. However once I had been snorkelling for a while I relaxed and just swam "around". Fish are naturally curious and will come up to see what's going on, blue groper are very friendly and I have had many a sergeant major swim right up to me and hang around within grabbing distance just to see what's going on!! I have also duck-dived down to massive schools of yellowtail resting on the bottom, only to have them follow me when I leave (it was a fright at first turning and seeing 300 fish trailing my flippers but pretty damn cool!).

Probably not a good idea to start casting towards the air bubbles though

Gents, those scuba divers aint' ever goin' to know where it's at, just write 'em off and move on........yeh gotta know which battles eh!
    Cheers, and , life truly is too short........