Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fishing over scuba divers

Re: Fishing over scuba divers

I caught a diver at the Seaway once, took him ages to realize my hooks where in his shoulder... was getting the shits just holding the rod letting the drag to its job... he was totally oblivious and just dived in where we were... no one else on the spit but us and dives straight into our lines.
    Really was tempted to reel him in!

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King View Post
    liltuffy,

you have me bemused Why don't the divers wait till the fisho is finished before they go for a dive right under him

Seems to me the divers should take a pill and WAIT their turn
    Garry, don't get me wrong I am not condoning or defending these blokes actions, BUT for exactly the same reason why fishos in boats don't wait for you to finish fishing before they anchor 10m from you. Most people just don't give a flying #*#* about anyone else.

We've all had a number of inconsiderates pull up in our discomfort zone which is annoying and frustrating but I for one certainly don't wish to drive hooks in to them or wish they were devoured by sharks.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by liltuffy View Post
    We've all had a number of inconsiderates pull up in our discomfort zone which is annoying and frustrating but I for one certainly don't wish to drive hooks in to them or wish they were devoured by sharks.

Craig
    Come spend some time at palm beach reef durring Mackerel season, it might change your mind
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Divers have 16% of prime Moreton Bay seascape that fishos can't use. Why don't they just p!$$ off and use that?

If a boat pulled up that close to me and ran up the dive flag the bottle of Tuna oil would be proudly displayed, along with a few choice words to the skipper, then I'd tip the lot over the side, along with any spare berley, while I called

"Here Sharkey Sharkey Sharkey!"

Fisho divers are cool, they know the drill. The Greenie divers are nothing better than shark bait, and should be treated as such.

Cheers,

tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Spot on timi if they want to dive a wreck they've got their own personal naval ship up the road a bit or every bloody green zone to themselves this shit happenes reguly on the tweed with some of the charter operaters, i've trolled up one and hooked another on a night dive and enjoyed every jag.

Liltuffy, My post was meant to question the mentality of some of these divers....no mention of any desire on my part to cause them injury. In regards to the diver that surfaced in my berley trail...my warning to him about what were doing was genuine concern for his safety, he was there at about the time we expected our berley trail to start producing results. Our member that hooked the diver was not deliberately trying to do so....and was reprimanded for broadcasting what happened over the radio. The diver was nowhere near his boat/flag.....and a 300mm knife jig in you tends to encourage you to follow the line to the surface.

Greg

Some of you guys are just deadset ####w1ts. I'm a recreational diver and a fisherman. I don't dive where people are fishing before me or fish where people are diving before me. However, I also expect people who turn up after me when i'm flying a burgee to give me 30m, which is plenty enough space for me to dive on, because I don't want hooks in me or any part of my gear that could stop me returning safely to the surface.

I don't condone what the divers in this story did but to touch their boat or threaten them with injury is just total bullsh1t. No one or type or water user owns the water, wrecks or grassbeds whether you be a recreational fisherman, recreational diver or recreational spear fisherman. You could have simply voiced your concerns to them before they got in the water. And personally if they hadn't listened I would have taken their rego, moved and contacted the cops and PADI/NAUI about their antics.

I'm pretty dissapointed about many of these comments from members whom previously I had some respect for.

I've had the same thing happen to me before, only the divers went one step further and started cutting my lines off.

Same situation, I had been there and hour or so, another boat rock up, anchor about 20-30m away (which I didn't have a problem with, he wasn't in my way) then 2 blokes jump in with spear guns. I had 2 lines out, I watch ed load up, just about to grab it and it goes slack, thinking I had been bitten off I wound in re rig and cast back out, the other rod loads up and again, slack, same thing re rig cast out.

This happened once more until I realised what was going on, it ws only a small bommie i was fishing, and i was the only one on it, i was usig big baits on paternoster's, I don't know how, but they managed to find them and cut them off without getting a hook jammed in them. And jesus f'n christ didn't they cop some abuse when they got out of the water.

I took their rego and did all the right things reporting wise, and I was told i was too close to them...WTF?? I was there first, but was told as soon as that dive flag goes up i have to move....yeah right, as if thats going to happen. Hasn't happend since, but next time, there will be words spoken as soon as that flag goes up and if I am ignored a frozen block of blood will be going over the size, along with some big bloody baits of mackeral on a set of 12/0's, a couple of big dirty tiger sharks in feed mode should move them along pretty quickly.

It ridiculous, some of the people on here that have defended these types of morons have been ones to complain about other line fishing boats getting too close, but it seems to be ok if they're diving....what a load of bull shit, wake up to yourselves...bigots

Its not really about defending dick head divers when they clearly do bullshit things like your experience Scott, but resorting to endangering peoples lives to vent frustration is bullshit too....

In the past I logged a lot of dives around the bay and outside before taking fishing more seriously. Bad form is bad form from any boatie. Divers dive curtain at slack water because that is the only time it really can be dived. I remember one day we were underwater flag flying and down came a huge plough anchor right beside me.

I promptly tied it of to the wreck. On returning to the surface I informed its owner. He was none to happy. I can’t remember if he was a fisho or diver that was irrelevant at the time.
    What other people think about me is not my business: Michael J Fox.

It's quite simple to avoid the hassle, really. All the diver has to do is develop a little civility. He's certainly not going to learn it if he's politely asked a third time, is he? Or do we just have to be nice to them forever on the off chance that they will have a revelation one day?

No way. Inconsiderate w@nkers need to be treated the way they obviously expect to be treated. If they "pull rank" then the water will be "tainted". They then have the choice to get out, don't they?

I certainly don't agree with trying to hook divers or injure them in any way, but I am more than happy to enhance their diving pleasure by asking a few grey suits in for a dance, if that's what they want.

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

I have also had "diver Issues" up at hervey bay, fishing a wreck , I am the first one there, 2 other fisho's turn up as the morning goes on, each gives the other a bit of space, all going nicely.

We a dive charter operator turn up at slack tide, and proceeds to tell one of the fishing boats he has to move, well here I am sitting back thinkin you got to be kidding he's got a dozen on the boat to dive, he is last here and he is telling another boat to move.

Any way the fisho, a young bloke decides to move for this dive operator @ which point, I decided it was a time to share my thoughts with the dive boat operator and tell the young bloke to tell the dive boat operator to "go jump in the creek" (polite version).

to which the smart &^%$e operator says to me "thats not very nice", so I arked up and gave him some, his paying passengers didnt look to happy about what he had done or what was going on, they all moved sheepishly to the other side of the boat.

To cut a long story short, after a dozen divers went under my boat, my anchor mysteriously pulled. So with the s$%ts I stopped beside the captain still on the boat and gave him a good dose, I felt like jumping ship to get up close and personal for a chat but my old man and brother talked me out of it..

Divers will be getting my bottle of tuna oil next time as well, feel sorry for them.. Nope..

Regards
    Honda.

great thread i have enjoyed this and i think the problem is that us fishos are sick and tired of getin stood on, first its the greenies, then comes captain blythe, then its the DPI or EPA now its the bloody divers, share and share a like but give us our share, and as its been said we are losing areas hand over fist and its always the fishos who looses out. But by the sounds of this thread there a little solitaraty and fight left in the old sea dogs yet.

first in best dress and the rest can do as they please.

supa......

Quote Originally Posted by supa29 View Post
    great thread i have enjoyed this and i think the problem is that us fishos are sick and tired of getin stood on, first its the greenies, then comes captain blythe, then its the DPI or EPA now its the bloody divers, share and share a like but give us our share, and as its been said we are losing areas hand over fist and its always the fishos who looses out. But by the sounds of this thread there a little solitaraty and fight left in the old sea dogs yet.

first in best dress and the rest can do as they please.

supa......

You've hit the nail on the head, DPI, EPA, Anna "Media Whore" bLIE, we can't do much about except whinge until we get a better deal (as if it will ever happen), Divers, well, they might be in a different boat, but we can do a hell of a lot more about those that wish to piss us off.

Just remeber, if it was another line fisho, dropping anchor on our transom, we'd be screaming bloody murder, why should a dive boat be any different? because they get in the water and potentially face a greater danger? we guess what, that's their choice, and besides, I'd like to start a bit of shark fishing, and what better way to start, blood, big baits, and live creatures putting out distress signals for miles, couldn't ask for better conditions