Thread: Braid on Baitcaster reel!

Braid on Baitcaster reel!

Just wondering if i need to back up with mono on a baitcast reel?

I use mono backing for my spin reels.

I just got the Shimano Curado 201E7.

Cheers, Jay
    Thats another one for the Punisher!

Re: Braid on Baitcaster reel!

I just put a thin layer of mono on my baitcast reels to stop the braid from slipping on the spool. Apparently a thin layer of electrical tape will do the same trick.

Cheers

Scotty

you don't need to fill the spool on a baitcaster.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboot View Post
    you don't need to fill the spool on a baitcaster.

cheers
    I think I might know what you're talking about but why is that? Interested because I've only just recently spooled my Curado.
    "holy sh!t, did you see that?"

A full spool will allow for a better cast and will put the drag through less work though.

in a spin reel the higher the line pack is in the spool the freer the line comes off the spool.

on a bait caster there is no issue with getting the line over the edge of the spool..............but.........there is an issue with the mass of the loaded spool.....the lighter the loaded spool the faster the spool will accelerate and decelerate..........so less line means further casts and less overruns..( in theory).

cheers

The question isn't how much I can put on, its do i need to back up the braid with mono?

most people do.....unless they are inclined to spend the extra to put on a whole spool of braid.

I find the best thing to do is spool up the reel with braid first (start with it only taped on with a tab of tape)......spool on the braid....tie on your backing line and wind on till the spool is as full as you like then spool of onto a big alvey...............then you have to turn it arround.....so another big alvey is handy.....then you can spool it onto the original reel..tying on permanently.... then tie on your leader.............it is all much faster if you have a spooler.....but quite a few blokes have a pair of old big alvies just for the purpose.

this way you don't have to estimate or guess.

personlay I fill the spool...but others underfill their bait casters.

cheers

I put a 150m of 30lb sunline pe on my curado 200 and that was enough to fill it to the top.

Quote Originally Posted by scottym View Post
    I put a 150m of 30lb sunline pe on my curado 200 and that was enough to fill it to the top.
    As I said earlier, its not the capacity of the baitcaster, its should I back the braid up with mono?

if you are putting briad on you either have to run a little monno backing or use some tape to the barid bites on the spool.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by oldboot View Post
    if you are putting briad on you either have to run a little monno backing or use some tape to the barid bites on the spool.

cheers
    Is that electrical tape mate? Thanks for the help oldboot!

I also read that if the spool has holes you can just run the line through the holes before tying it off. That said, I either run mono backing or use electrical tape. It depends what's closest to my hand at the time.

Matt.

either lecky or masking should be fine.

cheers

Its all about line slippage on the spool. If the spool has one of those knobby things, then tie the braid directly to that, if not, then either method (electrical tape/a couple of layers of mono) will do the trick. Its all about getting the braid not to 'spin' on the spool. Dont use masking tape (made that mistake a couple of times) as the glue in it can seep up through the line and cause probs with line stickiness on shallow spool reels. My preference is a couple of layers of mono....the stretch of the mono allows it to 'grip' the spool.

Greg