Thread: Bridgestone Desert duelers?

Bridgestone Desert duelers?

Hi All

I'm looking at putting a new set of tyres on my 80 series DX model. I'm running 16 x 7 inch rims. the profile of tyres i currently have is 235/85's. i like the large diametre of these tyres and am not too keen to spend the extra dollars just yet on 16x8 inch rims. I also will be doing lots of bush trips, i believe that this tyre profile is easy to buy in the bush.

In terms of driving. it will mostly be sand and gravel, with some rock thrown in from time to time. i dont do alot of mud driving, yet at least.

I'm currently looking at the bridgestone desert duelers in the 235/85 size. the tread pattern looks good.

has anybody had experience with them? would you recommend them? how well do they balloon out on the beach?

another thing im concerned about is the apparently thin looking sidewalls.

cheers for the help

Owen

Re: Bridgestone Desert duelers?

Hi Owen

Had a set on a GQ ( cruiser recovery vehicle ) many moons ago and found them more than adequate for both wear and traction on a variety of surfaces.

I just can't re-call now but i'm sure at some point these tyres were being manufactured here as well as some being imported and had something to do with the white writing on the sidewall as being able to tell which was which.Perhaps there maybe another a'fisher on here in the industry and might be better informed on that.

At the end of the day there are cheaper and dearer on the market and it all comes down to getting what you pay for and i can say that i think these deliver on that basis.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Steve

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Heya Owen,

Its been awhile since I have looked at the Desert duelers but the sidewall thickness is what steered me away from them.. I have an 80 DX also with the same size rim but way larger tyres (285x85x16) I have a 2" lift.

I went BFG AT's years back on my old 60. they replaced a set of duelers and I haven't looked back!! They have one of the thickest sidewalls around for an AT tyre, they handle well on road, dry or wet. They don't have much road noise. they have great grip offroad on gravel, rock and aren't too bad in the mud if you look after them they wear quite well too!!

I haven't had any problems on the beach with mine but I do ALWAYS lower my tyre pressure. 20psi to start with then down to 15 if its struggling in real soft stuff. They do balloon but probably not as well as duelers, only because the AT's have a more aggressive pattern that holds its shape more. I do believe you can safly take the BFG AT's down to a lower pressure than the duelers due to the design of the tire (some kind of bead lock rubber lip around the rim).

Anyways this is my take on them, I am sure you going to get many more differing ideas on them

cheers
    Brandon..

PS: I had a 4" nail in one rolling around for about 6 months! I didn't worry about it at the time because well.. It wasn't letting any air out!! lol..

I had a set on my Hilux when i first got it...Didn't particualy like em they wore fast.. and not the best off road..replaced with a set of 31' Maxxis Bravo AT's For road and Beach.. And A set of 33' Maxxis Bighorns For the mud and dirty stuff..both of which wear resonably well.
    "True Blue"

Desert duelers have been around since the day dot. Well, as long as I can remember and are still proven to be the best sand grip ever made. Only problem is the sidewall and size, like you stated.

Cheaper 2 ply sidewall tyres will bag down well under lower pressure but run the risk of being very easily punchured with sharp sticks and rocks thrown into the mix. So a 3 ply sidewall (bfg at) will have to be let down to a lower presure to get the same bagging in the same size tyre.

How ever. The advantages of 16's is also its downfall. They are a ROAD tyre and designed for better fitment to the rim and a much stiffer sidewall design for cornering at high speeds. The only way you can get good grip and bagging in 16's is to go bigger than 35's which most cars cant. Which means much less performance (length and width of tread when tyre pressure drops) in the sand, rocks and mud.

I purchased a brand new set of 16x8 rims and 285 75 bfg's for my GU. Took them off straight after my fraser trip and went back with 15's "HUGE DIFFERENCE"

If I where you Id ditch the 16's in a heart beat and get some 15" rims. Tyres are much cheaper and work a hell of alot better on the beach, rocks and mud.

Im with the other posts. Anything to do with rocks and sharp sticks go the bfg at's for peace of mind.

693, 694, or 694 LT ??????

693's come out oe on patrols, colorado's etc etc etc and are a lighter construction - you'll get bugger all tread depth on that sized tyre.

694's are similar but more offroad oriented.

694 LT's are the one's the tour guides are raving about as an offroad tyre. Apparently they are holding up very well.

None of them are cheap, but in this case I think you get what you pay for.

Steeler - yes it's the aussie made ones that got the good rep. We had a 2002 v6 hi-ride 2wd rodeo in the fleet that got a remarkable 160k out of a set. The driver no doubt played a large part in that - he was kind on cars. I don't know what the current state of play is however.

HI All

thanks very much for the replies, they are very informative. I'm now tending to think i might steer clear of the desert duelers, even though ive heard they are great for sand, ill be doing a bit of rock bouncing and need some sidewall strength.

With regards to 15 inch rims. yes i would love to put them on and certianly would. however my car is a 96 model, and i believe they changed from 15 to 16s in 94 and taht the 15s wont fit on the hub anymore .

At the moment im not too temped to throw on a different size tyre. although id really love to put on those 285/85s because the front two tyres are in great nic, its just those back ones.

Oh and the 2 or so inch lift is coming very soon hehehe.

cheers for the help

Owen

15's will fit on the hub, however they won't clear the brakes. Good luck with the search.

Yep, they will clear the brakes aswell... About a 4mm gap, but depending on the angle of the centres from the stud bolts. Most normal offset rims will fit eg.. Sunrasia's. But if you have a set you love and they just dont clear, you can just put 12mm spacer plates on. Cheap as chips

I got told by everyone that 15's wouldnt fit on my GU. People should try it themselves before passing on info. All 3 offsets I tried cleared fine.

We sell mainly Bridgestone at our tyre shop and find the 694's the best tyre in that range. They have released a heavy duty 694 not long ago that seems to be good. Some of the OE fitted 684 and 693 were pretty soft and did not last too long. 235/85x16 is a bit of a dying size with most people going with 265/75x16. Plenty of options in the 265's.

Just heard the Aust Bridgestone factory has shut - last of the aust made tyres. BenD - tried putting a 15" gxl wheel on my '93 model once and it didn't clear the front caliper.

It would have fit with a spacer plate. The only problem with 15" rims is that alloys are sometimes too thick to clear the tie rod end. And the angle of the centre plate from where it bolts to the stud bolts to where it welds to the rim (if that makes sence).

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i first put my duelers on a hj60 landcruiser got 70 to 80000 ks. magic on the road, quite as a mouse, let them down 18 on the beach and you wont get stuck. i started using them in 1983 i have done over 1 million ks on them baught 8 or 9 sets i do think they are magic however if you play in the mud not these babies they hate it i hope this helps i still drive a hj60 landcruiser and i will till i die. glynn tight lines all

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

ps.. white bridgestone desertdueler on the side walls

gr hilly, they are the jap made 604's. we have logged some huge klm on them too. People often can't were them out before the case has perished or seperated.
    The sales staff at Bridgestone Brisbane said they were being sacked and all the sales are moving south with just a warehouse up here.