Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who has the right of way here

Re: Who has the right of way here

This incident serves to illustrate the poor or non-existent standard of watchkeeping on ships.
    If you read up on the subject the ships are often running on auto-pilot with no watch at all or the watchkeeper catching up on paperwork etc.
    Being run down is statistically the greatest danger that yachties face, maybe Jessica has been pre-disastered and is now safe.?????
    If the shipping companies had to pay for good watchkeeping, the cost of freight would rise and the consumers, us, would have to pay more for our cheap junk from overseas.
    Ultimately we as consumers, with our demands for cheaper and cheaper goods, are to blame.

now an earlier response illustrates the wide spread poor understanding og the rules of the sea.

At sea it is "ALL RIGHT" keep right, stay right and give way to the right and the emphasis is not on right of way, but colision avoidance....and things are not as clear cut as on the road....the rules of the sea predate any road rules and are more or less unchanged for centuries.

regardless of who was where or how big, power or sail.............if something ran into you or you ran into something..........the question the beak will want to know in court is........."What did you do to avoid the colision?"

The concept that soo many people fail to grasp is.....at sea YOU are responsible for everthing......unless there was not a thing you could have done....you will cop a share of the blame.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

those photos shows more than it looks and it is not just a simple give way to the right as old boot has pointed out . firstly there are three vessels shown and by the marks on the third vessel it looks very much as a pilot ship to me . the larger tanker on right has its ballast dumped so is heading into port . it must be noted that this vessel would have little rudder and prop bite and most likely under the pilots on board control.. which under pilots control has right of way .

I need my boat to stay afloat....Everything has right of way for me. Easier to pull back than work out who's paying

i wonder what the skipper of the schultz said "i seen nothing, nothing"

Quote Originally Posted by Blackened View Post
    G'day

Looks like the Renate Schultz had right of way.... give way to the right?

Dave
    Remind me never to drive within sight of you at an intersection. Unless it's like US road rules as mentioned.
    If that's true, the Renate needed to yield as the other ship is on their right.
    By the looks, the Renate hit midships which means it should have slowed as the 2 approached?

No way of knowing who was in the right from those pics but I can tell you that Old Boot is correct The Prevention of Collisions at Sea regulations under most circumstances find both in wrong in most instances as you are ment to do everything you can to avoid a collission even if your in the right initaily you should have seen the possibility of a collission and taken action to avoid it so by not doing that they will appoint a portion of the blame to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyDucati View Post
    i wonder what the skipper of the schultz said "i seen nothing, nothing"
    Then when he stands up in front of the judge........."COOOLARRR".

Or..."You wont talk your way out of this one Hogan"

Gee we are showing our age,,,,,,,,for those who don't understand the humour...check out Hogan's Hero's on digital TV.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.