Thread: Light Force 240

Light Force 240

G'day

I'm currently running Narva 170 on my 4x4... and somehow the lens on one of them has been smashed :s

Thinking of upgrading to lightforce 240 blitz....

Are they THAT good? Do I need a separate wiring harness, or just tap into the one that's currently working well with the narva?

Dave

Re: Light Force 240

Dave, the wiring should be OK.
    The wiring size and design is determined mainly by the size/type of the bulb used.
    If you have the normal old 100W driving light bulb and the new ones have the same then just change the lights.
    If your in doubt just pop in and I'll have a gander...or repair. At least I can still do that
    Cheers then
    Scott
    PS I'm not a lightforce fan. Cibie (super, duper Oscar's or decent Hella's (like the rally 3000) for me. But I'm old school
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

G'day

Thanx Scotty

Just what I thought... didn't feel like forking out extra $$ for a harness that's not needed.

Both lights (old and new) are 100w/12V

Dave

I have been using the Lightforce 240 Blitz spotlights for hunting for about 12 yrs now. I bought the two lights for twin remote controlled spotlights on the vehicle. To be honest, they are not as good as the hype that runs around about them is. Their "spots" are actually bat shaped and they do not refine with focusing a whole lot better with shadows of light intensity within the focussed area.
    The new age of HID spotlights are definitely a thousand times better even with the extra costs involved.
    For normal on and off road driving spot and flood lights it is very hard to go past the old 5" sealed beam in rubber mounted chassis. You can get them up to 140 watt from nearly every Supercheap or car parts store for about 10-20 bucks for a replacement bulb, they last well and throw good even light at a fairly uniform shape. They are my preferred long distance night driving light as they are not the harsh whites or blues that seem sharp and clear, but leave you with eyestrain after 10 hours of night driving.
    Jack.

I have 2 lightforce 240s HIDs, I also have a 240 bliz mounted up top for hunting but the HIDs definatly outdo it, the only problem of course is the price as the HID were 800 bucks each....
    regards Jason

i'm running the xgt lightforces, one down from the hid, excellent performance

I think if you buy Lightforce you really need to buy the XGT's as a lot of people complain about the blit's lights being unscrewed off the mount when vehicle parked. Surprised no one mentioned this as it seems to happen quite often. cheers

yeah mate my car came with the striker 170's and i know people with the 240's. personally, i would steer away from them as the spot beem is terrible, you are left with a dot in the middle of your beam which is noticible and lightforces are not good lights for corrugated roads as the cheap bulbs simply break on mild corrugations.

I put mine under the back of my car for reverse lights as i do not care about them and now have hella rally 4000's on the front which blow me away with their performance
    Gilli

Most sports require one ball..... Fishing requires two

GO326Q
    4M tinnie with 25hp johnson
    Call ova for a chat if you see me out on the water

Quote Originally Posted by Gilli View Post
    yeah mate my car came with the striker 170's and i know people with the 240's. personally, i would steer away from them as the spot beem is terrible, you are left with a dot in the middle of your beam which is noticible and lightforces are not good lights for corrugated roads as the cheap bulbs simply break on mild corrugations.

I put mine under the back of my car for reverse lights as i do not care about them and now have hella rally 4000's on the front which blow me away with their performance
    Gilli I havnt got a dot in the middle of my 240 lightforce HIDs and we do quite a bit of corregated roads on our trips, they have been on the car scince 2007 and they are still there in one peice and no broken bulbs!!! I have a roof mounted 240 bliz as well and unless you unscrew the lens to widen the beam there is no dot in the middle? I have had that light for years with no dramas.....

G'day

Well I bought a set...

$370 on special at the 4x4 shop on ipswich road, the gabba. Can't go wrong and very happy with them. Bonus that they're aussie made as well!

Dave

yeah each to their own ay, just personal experience with the lights is all im getting at.
    Gilli

GO326Q

Whats this "loom" thing........they are spot lights.....two wires at best.

Go show it to finga,.....If the wire isn't the best....he'll sort it pretty quick.

If you are going to spend decent $$$ on lights, spend a few extra $ on some nice heavy wire and a decent relay......your lights will be brighter and your lamps will last longer.

Oh if the lights are biguns.....a stay to the top of the housing will stop the wiggles.

Yeh I grew up on super oscar's too.......great lights and you can get parts....ahhhh its been too long.

Sorry... but forget your sealed beams....they just wont stand up to a decent halogen...and they definitely wont touch a good HID.

The old aircraft landers are good for sparkling up a mirrorball though.

cheers

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

yeah i got an aircraft landing light under the tray of my ute. brighter than any light ive seen, only one problem now though, it blew on me but what do you expect when its 35 years old
    Gilli

GO326Q

the problem with aircraft landers is that there are very narrow....that is what makes them great for twinkling up a mirrorball......but for real practicality, a pencil beam pattern in any of the decent brands will be all over it like a rash for a usefull beam.

A 100watt halogen has much greater total light output than any 100watt tungsten sealed beam.

park up a two vehicles side by side on a long straight road....1 with a pair of aircraft landers and another with a pair of super oscars or rally 2000's in pencil beam...... and you will see the difference

the beam of aircraft landers also has a lot of filament image ( that can vary greatly from globe to globe), where a good H1 bassed light will give a pretty flat even beam and will be pretty consistent with different globes.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

G'day

Just got back from the drive to sydney...... and to be honest these lights are AWESOME. Highly reccomend them.... and you cannot go past breakfast at the sydney fish markets either!

Dave