Thread: Best rod, reel and line set up for bass

Best rod, reel and line set up for bass

Hi all,
    Im looking to buy a new rod for some bass fishing and i was wondering what would you guys recomend? also, what would be the best line to use for the snag bashing? the line i have been using seems to snap quite often when im fishing the snags.

Cheers,
    Matt

Re: Best rod, reel and line set up for bass

Spin or Baitcast ?

If this is your first outfit then I would be looking at a spin set up

A 2500 size reel & 7ft rod (2-4kg) - this will give you the option to throw light plastics or even heavier spinnerbaits.

Now - What is your budget

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by yobbo112 View Post
    Hi all,
    Im looking to buy a new rod for some bass fishing and i was wondering what would you guys recomend? also, what would be the best line to use for the snag bashing? the line i have been using seems to snap quite often when im fishing the snags.

Cheers,
    Matt
    Hi Matt

What have you been using ..... braid or mono.
    Braid is the go & used in combination with a few feet of mono or fluorocarbon leader ........ you just need to learn an improved albright or slim beauty knot to attach the leader.

You'll be surprised at how much pressure you can apply with 2 or 3 kg braid ......

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I use a 2-4kg 7' carbon stick, a 2500 size spin reel (sometimes a 2000 size), 4lb fireline and 6-8lb leader. Use same rig for bass and toga.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Hi Matt

What have you been using ..... braid or mono.
    Braid is the go & used in combination with a few feet of mono or fluorocarbon leader ........ you just need to learn an improved albright or slim beauty knot to attach the leader.

You'll be surprised at how much pressure you can apply with 2 or 3 kg braid ......

Chris
    iv'e been using the line that comes with the cheapy rods ive been using ( and snapping lol rods that is) so im guessing its crap.
    About the price range anything to about $200 im prepared to spend on a rod & reel and braid or what ever on top of that. could you recomend a brand for me?

Cheers,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by yobbo112 View Post
    iv'e been using the line that comes with the cheapy rods ive been using ( and snapping lol rods that is) so im guessing its crap.
    About the price range anything to about $200 im prepared to spend on a rod & reel and braid or what ever on top of that. could you recomend a brand for me?

Cheers,
    Matt
    Matt

I use a cheap ET limited edition shimano carbon rod (on sale at Big W for about $50) and a stradic 2500 (new from ebay for $120, but was using a cheaper reel prior), 4lb fireline (can't remember where I got it but $25) and 6-8lb nitlon flurocarbon leader (can't remember the cost). You don't need massive lengths of braid (125yds is heaps) as bass don't exactly go on blistering long runs, so use mono as backing to fill the reel.

Search around and you should be able to get a reasonable combo togeher for your budget. Try the classifieds on this forum, ebay, tackle store/supermarket sales or even garage sales for a secondhand high quality option. Careful with non mainstream brands and some or the low level models as some can be dodgy - ask here if anyone has one and can provide feedback.

Best of luck
    Steve