Thread: How to fix a BooBoo !!!

How to fix a BooBoo !!!

Reading Good as Golds thread got me to thinking about when we pin ourselves with evil trebles.
    I've been stuck quite a few times but this time I thought I'd share it with you. I'm guessing a good number of new fishos wouldn't really know what to do if a barbed hook penetrated the skin. I'm not a fan of pulling them straight back out.....luckily this treble is the smallest I would use on a bass lure and it was quite easy to get out. This is one method which works when you're on your lonesome. Although doing this with a barra sized lure could get interesting !!!
    I've numbered the photos for your convenience and viewing pleasure.
    Ok, here we go. Read the step and open the pic.

STEP 1
    Stand on steep river bank, holding expensive rod under one arm while removing lure box from backpack. Select lure and hold in two fingers, while holding heavy lure box with remaining fingers. Drop heavy lure box into backpack ensuring one set of trebles hook onto descending lure box, impaling soft artistic fingers with other set of very sharp owner trebles on the way down......attach very loud chosen swear word here.....

STEP 2
    Depending on the angle of entry it is often possible to continue pushing the hook through the skin...a little bit of twisting and redirection may be required......attach loud chosen swear word here.......

STEP 3

Push the hook all the way through so the barb is visible, warning, your skin is tougher than you think, it takes a bit to get through.....attach chosen swear word here.....

STEP 4
    Using a pair of pliers, crush the barb about as flat as you can........attach quiet swear word here....

STEP 5
    Slide the hook back out the way it came and breathe out....attach barely audible swear word here......

There's a few ways to remove hooks, another method is the fishing line trick which is good if you've got a friend, others just grab a hold and yank it out...I'm far too delicate for that sort of caper. Most importantly if your unsure or if it's in deep....head to the hospital where they'll have needles waiting for you.
    But seriously the hospital is your best option.
    So shines a good deed in a weary world
    - William S Shakespeare and William S Wonka_

Re: How to fix a BooBoo !!!

To make yourself feel a little better use said lure to catch bass...after the rest of the barbs have been crushed.
    So shines a good deed in a weary world
    - William S Shakespeare and William S Wonka_

Lol, nice one... i'll have to remember that one next time it comes up.
    Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Hahahaha very informative Mate.

Regs,
    Cam
    Australian Native Fish Vids
    Specialize in Terapontida's, Perches, Cods, Gobies & Gudgeons

I'v just printed that out & stuck it on our Treatment Room wall - under "triage for fishing injuries" Love it Sammy xx

I would like to add my best version of step one....

STEP 1
    Stand on sandy river bank, casting expensive Japanese lure into lovely looking water knowing any minute now a fish will smack it. When said fish smacks it, carefully play fish back to sandy river bank. Pick fish up with one hand, holding expensive rod under one arm while removing pliers from pocket. While trying to extract lure from fish, have fish somersault out of hand ensuring one set of trebles impale soft artistic fingers with other set of very sharp owner trebles on the way down...... attach very loud chosen swear word here..... make sure fish keeps fighting like crazy while treble is buried into the back of your thumb!

This one took a doctor to get out...
    Cheers and thanks.

"Tackle Whore on a budget..."
    Gonzo II – Brooker 4.5m 40hp Yam & Outlaw Kayak
    Fish Well, Fish Egrell

http://www.ecofishersqld.org.au

hook removal

got this email how real men remove hooks and thought you guys might like a look. give me a 2L of jack and i will be right aswell.
    http://s611.photobucket.com/albums/t...rrent=fish.flv

That is one big treble!
    Nice choice of pain killer also.
    I had a nurse do the same extraction once, works quite well.
    Cheers and thanks.

"Tackle Whore on a budget..."
    Gonzo II – Brooker 4.5m 40hp Yam & Outlaw Kayak
    Fish Well, Fish Egrell

http://www.ecofishersqld.org.au

I took a treble out of a mate the same way. The trick is to use something non-stretch ... I used a bootlace ... and to push down on the eye of the hook at the same time.

I also counted to three (and yanked on "two" to avoid any flinching).

It worked a treat. No point mucking around going to Emergency. They'll only use the exact same technique. Hook out ... start casting.