Quote Originally Posted by hairypunt View Post
Gday,
Last year hardb8 and i fished kinchent for a week.
We started the first session at sunrise we could not resist the oppurtunity to catch a barra or sooty on surface, so on went the top waters. We went for about an hour with little success, then all hell broke loose with topwater strikes coming thick and fast from both barra and sootys.

My thoughts on fishing topwaters is that they will work any time of the day, its all about area. At kinchent we fished areas that had 6/8ft of water that was made up of 80% percent weed with only 2/3 ft of water over the top of the weed beds, witch produced strikes even in the middle of the day.

I'm a big fan of walk the dog topwaters my favs for barra are tiemco riding peppers, giant dog x's and jackall water mocassins.

I like a rod between 6'0 and 6'6 with a fast taper with a light enough tip to cast light baits and allow the fish to turn once it has inhailed the bait. Ive found this helps with the hook up rate.

With the retreive i like to cast, let the water settle and then start a constant retreive, i work my topwaters quite fast, if i get a short strike then i pause it for a while give it a few tiny little twitches then continue the retreive.

Ive had success using these techniques in other barra dams,and also on bass,toga and cod.

Imo theres not a more exciting way to catch a fish, the thrill of watching the water explode behind a lure is something i could never tire of.

Cheers Kyle

Ps hardb8 and i are going back to kinchent for round 2, just two weeks, i cant wait.
Thanks Kyle

Kinchant is one dam where you can have consistent fishing using top water ( the dam is renown for its topwater bite) - with its Clear water, vast weed beds & open pockets / laneways within those weedbeds - the fish just lie in there ( we would drift over the top of meter plus barra just a few feet below the boat - it was amazing) ...... I'm hoping to have a fish there again during the ABT tour

And you are right ..... It is the most exciting way to catch fish ( specially barra)

Chris