Thread: Warning Warn Winches

Warning Warn Winches

12 months ago I purchased a Warn winch and compatible steel bull bar for the 200 series cruiser
    Last Wednesday I went to use the winch and it died.
    I got in contact with the supplier and they said they would honour the warranty and fixed the unit. I helped with the removal and inspection of the motor. The car had never been driven into water so the water ingress was from spray washing etc note that they did ask me that question several times. I was also asked if I used the winch much and I do at least once every 2 weeks.
    When we pulled the motor off and inspected the casing there was rust inside the casing from water ingress. One of the brushes was worn down while the others were good. The commutator showed signs of corrosion. Clearly the motor was not the correct IP rating for external mounting.
    I could see no indication of decent seals / o rings to prevent the ingress of moisture.
    I would suggest to anyone out there with these winches that they pull the motors off and inspect them because the quality is just not there.
    Note the price is up there with good quality
    "light gear big fish big fun"

Re: Warning Warn Winches

Might be a catch 22 for some reason?

I have read where people with the cheaper versions silicone them up first. paying the price a warn commands I wonder if there is a reason for them not fitting competent seals say with a 5-10 year lifespan it's not rocket science....after warranty spare parts sales perhaps?? jaded i know.

Which winch?

cheers fnq