Thread: Fitting a wench to Mrs Palmer's TJM bar

Fitting a wench to Mrs Palmer's TJM bar

Gidday,
    I was talking to my little brother last week and he asked if I wanted a wench. He had a spare in his shed...I mean winch....gees I need to learn to type
    Mrs Palmer has a steel TJM bar on the front and I was wondering how you can tell if I can bolt a winch straight to it.
    It has all the holes on the front and a viewing hole in the top.
    I was going to ring TJM but they might be a bit busy for awhile.

Where do you put the number plate?? It's hiding the holes in the front of the bar now.

Cheers, and again, ta
    Scott
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Re: Fitting a wench to Mrs Palmer's TJM bar

Finga, It wont just have the holes to fit a winch. It will have a rectangle line in the steel on the front, that when bashed with a hammer press's out and your rollers fit too. If its not a tjm winchbar. Its a pain to fit a winch too.

I take it that its a topmount winch?? If its any less than 9000lbs dont bother with it. As you will have to use a block and tackle and double it over to get any kind of performance, and transform your range from 30 metres to a measly 15 metres.

In regards to your number plate. You can put it below your winch. Or make a nifty little bracket thats hinged and hides your winch all together..

Good on ya matey.
    It has the big square hole in the front and the narrow slot in the top as well as another squareish hole to the right of the slot.
    I better take a picture and post eh
    Cheers for that
    Scott
    PS what's the difference in top mount wench??
    PPS I took a couple of pictures.
    The second is looking across the bar.

You can get all kinds of winch's. Just ask your bro what 1 he's giving you. You can get high mount, low mount, PTO and a few other styles. But high mount and low mount are most common. Basically high mount winch's are the best IMO. They are much faster and dont need a load on the cable to return. But, low mount is stronger and can handle more load, plus cable is out of the elements.

But you need a highmount winch bar or visa versa.
    Looking at your pic, your hole looks too small for a roller fairlead. Id say you'll need a hawse fairlead (A small 1).
    But go back to plan A. Call TJM, they'll tell you everything you need to know..

I have a tjm winch bar on my mitstubiti, I was told by TJM that the bar had to come off the vehicle to mount it, and guess what! they were right, i couldnt get it in, so i had them fit it for me. It cost $270 for fitting. i also bought the winch from tjm (ox). they dont leave enough space there so you can slide the winch into place like other brands that i have owned. i guess they were thinking ahed or looking after themselves when it came to people who couldnt afford both the bar and the winch at the same time!!!
    If you had a few mates around for the afternoon i am sure they could help you lift the unit back into place as that was the biggest problem that i had on my own!
    Hope this helps
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by seren-y-mor View Post
    I have a tjm winch bar on my mitstubiti, I was told by TJM that the bar had to come off the vehicle to mount it, and guess what! they were right, i couldnt get it in, so i had them fit it for me. It cost $270 for fitting. i also bought the winch from tjm (ox). they dont leave enough space there so you can slide the winch into place like other brands that i have owned. i guess they were thinking ahed or looking after themselves when it came to people who couldnt afford both the bar and the winch at the same time!!!
    If you had a few mates around for the afternoon i am sure they could help you lift the unit back into place as that was the biggest problem that i had on my own!
    Hope this helps
    Jason
    Ta mate.
    Did you have to fit another bracket on the bar for the wench to sit on or straight to the bar??
    An engine crane will see the bar on and off .
    The biggest problem I can see is actually the number plate mounting.

I might have to make some solenoid operated 'Maxwell Smart' special so I can flip a switch and the number plate folds up or down or sideways or just gets launched into space

just drop the bar off and the winch (wrenchy thingy) will bolt straight to the back of the bar, then the roller fairlead sits on the front. there is fitting plates or somthing but on a steel bar they told me that they were already in there! just supa glue the number plate to the top of your winscreen as it doubles up as a sun visor.....lol

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    Ta mate.
    Did you have to fit another bracket on the bar for the wench to sit on or straight to the bar??
    An engine crane will see the bar on and off .
    The biggest problem I can see is actually the number plate mounting.

I might have to make some solenoid operated 'Maxwell Smart' special so I can flip a switch and the number plate folds up or down or sideways or just gets launched into space
    Ask TJM about their number plate brackets
    they are just a couple of bits of pressed steel that sits the number plate above the fairhead
    just make some up out of plate and use the fairhead bolts to hold it in place

One more thing
    is your bullbar airbag complient? just ask them if the mounts will support mounting and use
    If You Can't Run With The Dogs....... Stay On The Porch

Scotty,

pop into On-Track 4WD in Moss street and have a chat to Brad or Brett.

They set-up my arb bar with a low mount winch. all good.

cheers
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here