View Poll Results: have you been the victim of crab pot theft?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. NEVER!

18 24.32%
  • Yes indeedy!

56 75.68%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stolen pot or not

stolen pot or not

pretty simple one just out of interest of how often it actually does happen...

if u would consider yourelf to chase crabs occasionally or more.... have you or have you not had pots stolen before???

feel free to say how long you have crabbed for and how many u have/havnt lost

Re: stolen pot or not

G'day

Yes, i've defiantly had some stolen over the years.... suffice to say I no longer have them stolen, I prefer GPS and grapple hook....

Dave

Personally havn't had any stolen.

My cousin had one stolen down the pin.

But I have had some one drive over my line for the pot with there prop. (it wasnt in the middle of a channel, it was well out of the way of boat traffic) so what they were doing so close to be able to cut the rope beats me. But they did reattach the rope, but I still reckon they took the huge muddie that was in there

They are out there, so I always try fish within in eyesight of my pots, but if they get stolen then karma will come there way......
    Cheers Callum

yeh had plenty taken on night time soaks.
    im with blackened and grapple my muddies now.
    unfortunately have to catch a few grassies and squire while gaurding the sandie pots though.

I Don't think i have had 1 stolen but i have had a few drift in current latter found at low tide and i have had some run over the rope and cut the rope while i was watching them and say oh i did not see it

shane

for me both yes and no, yes I have had one stolen, but no because it wasn't a person that stole it.

I've had a croc steal a pot, saw it sittng next to it on dry land in a big ball of steel and mesh , it looked like he'd become quite attached to it so I let him keep it, I just couldn't find it in my heart to take his toy away from him , god only knows the emotional damage I could have casued

I reckon more pots are lost to current and boats running over lines, than stolen.

Most people dont realise how little current you need to pick up a pot and take it downstream. Especially those shitty cheap crap pots that you get from BCF and he like.

Hmm, seems there are nine people who have never crabbed in the logan river...

On the first day they stole all the crabs and bent all the doors back so I tied them down low in the same area and the next day they were all gone except for one that they missed.
    I figured maybe a pro was sending a message
    THE POOR MAN ALWAYS PAYS TWICE

This year I am going to try and get some pots stolen... and I will be just far enough away on my brother's new 250HP supercharged wave runner to see with binocs. (And a few other things)...

When I catch them, I will take video and photographs of them, their boats, and forward to the lot to the police. I will happily post their mug pics here too if I am allowed, and their boat, and their car and trailer rego too if I can get that. I have seen them do it before, and reported them, but unless I can supply evidence of them "in the act" - my word is worthless sadly...

I am OVER IT! Scum!

I am still on the fence as far as pot sinking is concerned. While I would like nothing better than thieves to be shot and beating them even better, I was super pissed off the first run with my new donk to be flicking placcies near an oyster lease only to have someones sunk pot to be completely wrapped around my lower leg, wrecking the prop and scrachin the crap out of my brand new donk. It was sunk tied to another pot.

For those pot sinkers out there please sink them where at low tide they can not foul a prop. If it happens to me again there will be nothing left but mangled steel for someone to grapple.

Cheers

Chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Hi everyone,

Im from gladstone, QLD and we definately have a problem with pot thieves. Cunning ones too.

Not too long ago i threw some in off the bank. Using 4mm black rope, i carefully tied it to some mangrove roots and did my best to conceal it. The next day I pulled it up to find a log tied to the end with a perfect half- hitch finished off with a granny knot.

Steve

MAKE NO MISTAKE, KARMA IS COMING

Yep, had em stolen. Tied up at the bank......gone!!! *&%#

Lost quite a few in the passage as well. Some stolen??? Some current???

Weekend just gone - 4 missing.

If you are crabbing in the passage next two weeks and locate pots with name Ben MILES or Rosie MILES on them you are welcome to them as I could not find them and think it may have been the current. Hope they are full of crabs for you .

TWO WEEKS ONLY AS I WILL BE BACK OUT THERE AFTER THAT!!!!!!!

To play devils advocate, sinking and grapple by law is poaching, seen in law no differently than taking a barra, jew, cod, jenny etc outside of the regs.

cheers fnq

me and my mate, pretzil, have been fishing down the logan heading towards our pots and seen a boat pick them up right before our eyes, needless to say we followed him all the way to the ramp, and got them back and later reported him with his rego etc... when we questioned him about it, he came up with some bul***it excuse about how he thought we stole his and he was just getting some payback,
    bushweek