View Poll Results: What do you think is an appropriate penalty for taking a QLD Groper?

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • $0 - $400

25 17.48%
  • $400 - $1000

9 6.29%
  • $1000 - $2000

24 16.78%
  • $2000 - $5000

32 22.38%
  • $5000 - $10,000

19 13.29%
  • $10,000+

34 23.78%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ridiculous Penalty

Re: Ridiculous Penalty

It's amazing the difference of a juvenile QLD Grouper to a mature version shown in these posts.

This one was taken about 7 or 8 yrs ago out of the mangroves while barra fishing.

It tasted good too ! Far better than the big old tough ones.!

(only joking: it was sent back to grow up, I haven't eaten a big one either).

i think it should of been higher personally we just recently went to 1770 for a week and i tell ya its amzing the different types of fish that u can catch, we threw back i think 6 different types of fish that we couldnt correctly identify because we didnt want to take anything illegal. Know we got the book with all the fish species so should be alright.
    This guys couldnt correctly identify it so why keep it? its just plain stupid the only reason he obviously took it home so he could call up the t.v station and big note him self on the great big unknown fish that he caught which ended up backfiring on him. If u cant CORRECTLY identify a fish on the water throw it back over its simple IMO.

on another note though i have been told before if u remove these guys from a reef structure that the fish population can actually collapse in that area any truth in this or myth?
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

What a tosser, no legitimate reason to take a keep a fish that probably tastes like arse anyway.

Hey people.

Remember this too which is very real.

Today's news is tomorrows Fish and Chips.

Damage has been done, dont cry over spilt milk.

Get on with life movers and shakers.

Thats my spin.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Skusto View Post
    i think it should of been higher personally we just recently went to 1770 for a week and i tell ya its amzing the different types of fish that u can catch, we threw back i think 6 different types of fish that we couldnt correctly identify because we didnt want to take anything illegal. Know we got the book with all the fish species so should be alright.
    This guys couldnt correctly identify it so why keep it? its just plain stupid the only reason he obviously took it home so he could call up the t.v station and big note him self on the great big unknown fish that he caught which ended up backfiring on him. If u cant CORRECTLY identify a fish on the water throw it back over its simple IMO.

on another note though i have been told before if u remove these guys from a reef structure that the fish population can actually collapse in that area any truth in this or myth?
    Skutso,

I think what you will find if a dominant female is taken out of the population where male fish are dominant then like most gropers the next dominant male will change colour and become a female. Its a natural occuring phenomena. Barrumundi also do the same.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by ROBENDOG View Post
    $400 fine for a QLD Groper????

You have too be kidding????

If it is true, and the fish was identified as a QLD Groper, this fine is ridiculously small.

I do not beleive they should have been broken over this, but $400???

$400 fines will not protect our marine environments.

I think a fine in the order of $2000-$5000 is suitable.

What do you think?

$0-$400

$400 - $1000

$1000 - $2000

$2000 - $5000

$5000 - $10,000

$10,000+
    i agree with owen and a few of the other moderate thinkers. chase a prawn trawler and see the by catch they throw over the side and you would realy get pissed off. the bloke is obviously a goose for not having the knowledge of the fishing rules, then again how many of us speed and break the road rules everyday knowingly, this bloke obviously made a genuine mistake other wise he would not have had it in the papers. when it comes down to it he was uneducated in fish regognition. how many can tell the difference in species of fish, there would be not many that could name all the correct mackeral species.
    The real threat to our fishing stock is lack of fisheries inspectors, if the general population want to make rules through their elected government then they should make sure that the regulators have enough recources. i have been fishing central queensland for 35 yrs and have only had my boat inspected twice, both at the ramp where its easy to manage, how many of us see the pillagers coming in to the ramp at night with 2 people on board and a 300kg catch and say nothing about it. they are out there and most of you know them.

Quote Originally Posted by 8astripey View Post
    i agree with owen and a few of the other moderate thinkers. chase a prawn trawler and see the by catch they throw over the side and you would realy get pissed off. the bloke is obviously a goose for not having the knowledge of the fishing rules, then again how many of us speed and break the road rules everyday knowingly, this bloke obviously made a genuine mistake other wise he would not have had it in the papers. when it comes down to it he was uneducated in fish regognition. how many can tell the difference in species of fish, there would be not many that could name all the correct mackeral species.
    The real threat to our fishing stock is lack of fisheries inspectors, if the general population want to make rules through their elected government then they should make sure that the regulators have enough recources. i have been fishing central queensland for 35 yrs and have only had my boat inspected twice, both at the ramp where its easy to manage, how many of us see the pillagers coming in to the ramp at night with 2 people on board and a 300kg catch and say nothing about it. they are out there and most of you know them.
    I'll go along with that, not everyone is perfect and humans have flaws, I think Hitler tried to fix that in WWII l, you know the ultimate Altarian race where everyone is blonde and blue eye. me personally think he was a fruit cake, Trouble is you get rid of one evil and another takes its place.

wow..how about we have a public flogging for the bloke...after all it is a fish.
    I know a bloke that got fined $150 for having an oversized flathead..so a groper is more important in the ecosystem than a flathead..amazing stuff.
    It is a fish people..one fish..not a complete ecology..one single fish and so many knickers in a knot over it..it would probaly have died anyway from being dragged around the ocean by the bloke.

Not just a fish Greg, a protected fish! Bit differant to a flathead, there protected for a reason.

ian
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    wow..how about we have a public flogging for the bloke...after all it is a fish.
    I know a bloke that got fined $150 for having an oversized flathead..so a groper is more important in the ecosystem than a flathead..amazing stuff.
    It is a fish people..one fish..not a complete ecology..one single fish and so many knickers in a knot over it..it would probaly have died anyway from being dragged around the ocean by the bloke.
    The problem is that if we let this bloke off the hook, why shouldn't we let the next one or the next dozen off the hook? All of a sudden we've got everyone catching, keeping them and destroying the population.

Matt.

Good to see most people here have a balanced attitude to this affair, good reasoning and being tru Aussies and believing in a fair go. The bloke made a mistake, the Lynch mob need to get over it. Thank goodness for the rule of law!
    Lots of people pickin up stones and stoning this bloke, seems I read somewhere, somethin like "he without sin cast the first stone!"
    Pin head Im with you, Robersl, youre on the money mate.
    Cheers
    fatzie

yeah yeah flatzie.
    maybe oneday that barra in your avatar may be just that,a memory
    especially with your attitude towards protection.
    sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Chamelion View Post
    The problem is that if we let this bloke off the hook, why shouldn't we let the next one or the next dozen off the hook? All of a sudden we've got everyone catching, keeping them and destroying the population.

Matt.
    I have not said to let him off the hook..he has been fined..that is fair enough but people talking about fining him thousands and confiscating his boat etc is way over the top imo.

woman in uniform, thats what I like to see.

So the Scott said "What's up the Sporrin"

Quote Originally Posted by legsy11 View Post
    yeah yeah flatzie.
    maybe oneday that barra in your avatar may be just that,a memory
    especially with your attitude towards protection.
    sad.
    I think everyone needs to get over it he has been caught and fined tried and convicted found guilty been handed his penalty i doubt he will do it again it is the ones who do it clandestine thing that you need to worry about and as for the barra in the avatar's i think you will find most people on ausfish who do the barra thing release there catch and pay there sips to help stock the dams to enable us to chase them and release them unharmed where ever we can, it has nothing to do with attitudes on protection, most people do the right thing

shane

shane