Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking at a 100 series

looking at a 100 series

I am thinking of pensioning off the the old 80 series, even though I have only had it 17 years and done 435,000 trouble free k's, been web surfing and it has struck me that the V8 petrol cruiser is quite cheap, anyone own one? are they bad, or extra bad on fuel, or just not that popular? really looking for another diesel, but they seem so cheap by comparison.
    Last edited by Noelm; 02-03-2011 at 10:07 AM. Reason: spelling

Re: looking at a 100 series

Noelm, I have one but if I was concerned about the price/amount of fuel I would be selling it.
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

OH, then they do use a bit then? I am not really concerned, but I have just noticed they are so cheap, compared to a diesel especially! I reckon it would take about 30 years to recoup the difference in price.

Mate of mine has the 100 series, 550km per tank average city driving, i have 200 series, 860km average city driving, same tank size, we basically do the same drive to work
    Others may clarify their fuel usage

cheers

Hakuna - is that a petrol 200?

Noelm - typical figures I've heard are about 20-22L/100km around town and 13-16L/100k on the highway.
    I looked at them but went the diesel in the end ... although I figured over 5 years the cost difference was negligible (the diesel costs a lot more up front but holds its value better than anything else out there).

Apart from the fuel use (which often ends up in people getting lpg systems and all the drama associated with that) I don't think there's too much wrong with the V8 petrol. Seems a very reliable motor.

It would be pretty hard to go to 20+ L/100k after owning a slow but so economical 80 series diesel! I guess I will just need to see what I am prepared to pay for a diesel 100 series, or maybe go for the heaps cheaper petrol model, you can almost get a top condition petrol Sahara in any colour (there is heaps to choose from) for the price of a reasonable diesel GXL, and a turbo diesel is almost unheard of second hand that has not been flogged to death!

Noel, I recon I get 25L p/100klm on the highway with my 2.8T boat but I use a lot of the power when needed
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Sent you a Pm

What is the budget?

Have to be real careful of any cars from QLD after the floods or anywhere else. They really do hold their price if maintained but some people are joking the prices they are asking.

Then again toyota keeps putting up the new prices.

The petrol consumption is just horrific but the job they do and the way they last once set up right takes the pain away - well at least dulls it. OK for those that have a business paying the bills.

PS I still like the simplicity of the 80 series.

Mate i have an 04 which i've had for nearly 4 years now and i love it......plenty of power when needed,

They can be thirsty if driven hard,,,,worst i've done is 40ltrs to 100k's but i was sitting on 150kph on cruise control crossing the Barkly.

If i sit on 100 neat and don't go berserk overtaking etc i've had it down to 13ltrs per 100 towing the boat.

Beutiful engine very smooth and quiet,mines an auto 5spd and it's the first auto car i've ever owned and i'm hooked.....fantastic....reversing the boat etc.....awesome so easy.

I had a 80 series 1hz GXL it was a great car but the 100 is so much nicer to drive.

So how cheap is cheap? Like i said mines an 04 with LPG and most of the other bolt on goodies with 114000 ks and i'd expect to sell it privatly for somehere around $25000 mark.......or have i dropped the ball and there worth nothing now?

Dan

I would be getting 100 sahara over a gxl diesel any day of the week. If power and eco is an issue. TRD make a bolt on supercharger specifically made BY TOYOTA for that engine. 50% more power, 60% more torque and 30% better eco. I saw some kits for $3900. massive amounts of torque and a better upgrade than gas. Just look up TRD Tundra on youtube. Its the same engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    OH, then they do use a bit then? I am not really concerned, but I have just noticed they are so cheap, compared to a diesel especially! I reckon it would take about 30 years to recoup the difference in price.
    Noel, as you have correctly said, you can and will buy a hell of a lot of unleaded fuel for the difference in price between a 100 series V8 petrol cruiser and a 100 series turbo diesel. Obviously there are a host of other things to consider as well.

Good luck with you search.

Regards,

Cam

Quote Originally Posted by chisel View Post
    Hakuna - is that a petrol 200?

Noelm - typical figures I've heard are about 20-22L/100km around town and 13-16L/100k on the highway.
    I looked at them but went the diesel in the end ... although I figured over 5 years the cost difference was negligible (the diesel costs a lot more up front but holds its value better than anything else out there).

Apart from the fuel use (which often ends up in people getting lpg systems and all the drama associated with that) I don't think there's too much wrong with the V8 petrol. Seems a very reliable motor.
    Yes, I went petrol because of the power over the diesel, diesel was too sluggish towing and hopeless on sand, (tow a van up fraser), fuel not an issue to me, uses no more fuel than the prado I had, less when towing.

Cheers

Ive got a 2007 100 series GXL and average 16-17 round town and 13-14 highway.
    It can do mid 12L/100 on level highway if I sit on 100 on speedo (gps indicated 96kph) with aircon off.
    Join on here for info - http://www.lcool.org/forum/

I think a lot of the negative info regarding fuel consumption is mostly the earlier 105 (not ifs) series with the 4 speed auto.

Nothing wrong with the V8 petrol mate, as long as you don't mind fuel use when towing. They are a great truck and very robust and reliable.
    They are not that cheap, you could have bought a new one in 03 for around the $60 k mark , they are 7+years old now so still 40% of the the original price .
    Some people convert them to gas and they claim to be happy , I wouldn't .
    If you want power to tow your boat and resonable fuel consumption ( when towing) get the TD . I had one, 5 speed manual, I bought it when they first came out in 2000, paid $65k for it and sold it in 2008 for $39.5 k, this indicates how they hold their value.
    Cruising along at 110 kmh +was using around the 11/100 with air on, with 2.5 ton boat in tow around the 17/100, if you are light footed you could do a lot better with the boat behind you.

Garry ,
    You are doing very well mate at 25/100, a mate of mine was using 30-35 towing a van about the same weight as your boat with a GXV 4 speed auto. Then again you guys tow in flat ground, I tow in very hilly terain here.

Quote Originally Posted by hakuna View Post
    Yes, I went petrol because of the power over the diesel, diesel was too sluggish towing and hopeless on sand, (tow a van up fraser), fuel not an issue to me, uses no more fuel than the prado I had, less when towing.

Cheers
    Thanks. I am considering selling the 100TD and going for a 200 petrol. With the 200 being so much better on fuel than the 100 petrol it starts to make much more sense than the diesel.
    I'm surprised you found the petrol in the 200 to be more powerful than the diesel though - from most reports the diesels have craploads of power.