Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer wiring harness

Trailer wiring harness

I am getting a tow bar fitted to my 100 series 'cruiser, and I have seen plug in wiring looms/harnesss that just plugs into the existing wiring so you dont have to cut and join wires, for tail lights and so on, I went to my local Toyota dealer and they said you can buy them for $200, seems like a lot of money for a couple of metres of cable and a few plugs, anyone know of an aftermarket one?

Re: Trailer wiring harness

That's Toyota for you eh. Expensive parts

Had to get in to stir Kevaclone a bit

Is that the one where the computer has to be told your towing something or is that the 200 series?
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

nah, it is just a plain old simple plugs and wires thing, i can do the "old fashioned" way and join the new wires, but just kind of thought a plug in would be nice and neat, the socket is already there in the back, just needs the loom and away you go, but $200! for a tight arse like me it would kill me to pay that much!

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    kind of thought a plug in would be nice and neat, the socket is already there in the back, just needs the loom and away you go, but $200! for a tight arse like me it would kill me to pay that much!
    I would be in the same cue matey especially when you know how much a bit of wire is and a plug.

You haven't got a picture of the socket have you?

I can take one I guess, but being a Toyota, I would reckon it is a Toyota only setup, and nothing in the known world will fit. I spied a Hilux one on ebay, new for $50, and I would pay $50 (begrudgingly) but not $200

Noel I just got off the phone chasing prices for a towbar for my sons car and one of the exhaust/towbar places up here said their bar came with plugs so they go straight in . so I would be giving an exhaust place in you area a ring
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

I will give them a call and see what they can offer, I am sure someone must make a non genuine setup for common cars.

It depends on which toyota you have what you get for your money with the genuine harness.

We had the factory towbar and harness fitted to the wifes RAV.

In this case the factory harness goes all the way to the front of the vehicle and includes reversing lights and heavy electric brake wires.

the harness comes up in the engine bay on the drivers side near the brake master cylinder....if you don't have a brake controller fitted at the time, the blue wire gets coiled up nearby.

There is nothing "cut" into the wiring and there are no joins at the rear of the vehicle.
    ..it is a plug in item

The harness for the earlier Hiluxes on the other hand is simply a trailer socket with a short tail that has to be cut into the rear harness.

So you realy need to find out what you get for your money and what provisions are made on the main electrical harnesses.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

Noelm,

I know its a long time ago but when my truck was bought new late 2000, the plug/harness was only around the $60 mark from mr TOYO.
    If you hunt around you should be able to find aftermarket now, if not just solder to the wires. I wouldn't pay $200 for a plug and a couple wires, thats all it is .
    The 200 series is different, it has a computer with it, you can't just join the wires on the 200 and many more new cars. I bought this for $150 when I bought my 200 in 2008.

yep, the 100 series is just a plug and wires thing, no secret stuff included, I forgot to take any pictures last night because of the floods we are experiencing right now, Jesus there is some water around, lots of houses and cars flooded.

Take care then mate.

all OK now, rain has stopped, the lake behind my place has gone down, and the clean up begins, 1 life lost about 500M from my place too, I personally only had some water in the garage, and a pile of crap around the yard, including a wheelie bin that floated in from somewhere! at one time, the entire wheels of the boat trailer were under water!

I had one of those plug in trailer harnesses. Bought my boat up from Gladstone, knew the trailer lights were working cause I followed the guy to the boat ramp for a test run. Hook it up to my car, no lights. Of course I had no tools, but lucky for me the blokes son was an autosparky. First thing he did was remove the plug and wire in a new piece of wire soldered directly to the loom. Reckons its a pretty common job in his business.

OH, sounds like plan B then, do it the "old" way and be done with it, anyone know of some GOOD connectors for joining a wire into an unbroken wire? or maybe I should just stop being a pink drink swilling cry baby and cut and solder the wires and be done with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    OH, sounds like plan B then, do it the "old" way and be done with it, anyone know of some GOOD connectors for joining a wire into an unbroken wire? or maybe I should just stop being a pink drink swilling cry baby and cut and solder the wires and be done with it!
    When I wired up the electric brakes for my caravan I bared the insulation on the car wires without cutting the wire, wrapped the new wire around the bare bit then soldered it in. I then sliced a pit of 6mm ID tube covered the wires taped off then covered the lot in that black flexy conduit.

Cheers.
    A marriage licence should be like your fishing licence!
    Expires every year and you get a 3 day pass when you go interstate.