• New Mitsubishi Triton 2.5L Turbo Diesel

69 49.64%
  • New Ford Ranger 3.0L Turbo Diesel

70 50.36%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New Ford Ranger vs New Triton

Re: New Ford Ranger vs New Triton

thanks Phil,

my towbar tounge is about that length, and still is at least 30cm under the trailer. I will get some pics tommorrow and show. Its a real pain in the a s s.

Steve
    I dont have ADHD......ohh look a squirrell !!!

The problem with moving the hitch point further from the vehicle is you should be decreasing the allowable load on the towbar. Towbars are designed as they are, its ok if you are not towing you max payload but if towing close to limits i would not shift the hitch point.

Maybe better/easier to have the drawbar extended on the trailer.

cheers Lee

yep, that's been the problem with a lot of the dual cab and their chassis bending. The tow hitch is too far back from the rear axle and with people towing either off road or towing to near max spec on road a sudden heavy bump on the road or cresting a dune or something offroad is causing the chassis to bend in front of the rear axle because the trailer is pulling the back of the car down trying to lift the front and the front just doesn't want to lift, so the chassis bends at it weakest point. Also doesn't help when people have the tray loaded up as well, across the entire class the rear axle is right up towards the front of the tray, which ruins any chance of acheiving effective, correct load distribution, because you will have all the weight behind the rear axle.

But its things like this that you have to compromise with for a dual cab ute.

Yep, I hear ya. Scott & Lee

The tow tongue is about 4 inches further back than standard.

Max towing capacity is for vehicle and bar 3000kgs.

I tow 2000kgs.

The downward pressure on the tongue is the same no matter the weight of the trailer etc. But I do know what you mean and certainly would not want to explain to ins company about extended tow tongue and crash with 3 ton of boat behind..... !!

This is specifically why I chose a vehicle with a 3000kg towing capacity even though my maximum tow would be no more than 2000 - 2200kgs. I always allow for that margin of error.

The T6 Ranger or whatever it is called would allow me a bigger boat, and that is all that matters..... is it not ??

LP.
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post

The T6 Ranger or whatever it is called would allow me a bigger boat, and that is all that matters..... is it not ??

LP.
    Absolutely all that matters....not that I'll get myself in anything weighing in over 2t over the next few years, but like you said....good to have that extra security.

PS heard rumors that you'll be lucky to see change out of 60K with the new T6 Ranger XLT

scott they will never sell them at that price, i have a new ranger pm me ur ph no.
    hav had no probs with mine and i tow 6.5 glass boat of approx 2.4 t. as for burning out the clutch i think someone needs to learn how to drive.
    my 2c

Yeah that's what i figured, but that the number going around the traps, and that's out of my local dealer's mouth. i can't see them doing it, as they'll not only price them selves way out of the market, but considering the T6 is supposed to make some realy headway against the nissan and Toyo brand, unless they're having a massive hike It will only hurt. If anything, because the car is one of ford new 'global' models, they will be cheaper....higher volume sales and all that.

Also, My dad has a new ranger, picked up a few weeks ago, and my brother has conveiniently bought the Triton, so i was able to test both cars thoroughly myself. Though I thought the triton was better offroad, the Ranger is the better car overall IMO, especially considering that 98% of my driving will invlove the bitumen road kind.

Quote Originally Posted by lethal098 View Post
    The problem with moving the hitch point further from the vehicle is you should be decreasing the allowable load on the towbar. Towbars are designed as they are, its ok if you are not towing you max payload but if towing close to limits i would not shift the hitch point.

Maybe better/easier to have the drawbar extended on the trailer.

cheers Lee
    Thanks Lee, thats what I thought. I still haven't had a chance to get photos yet. When I post them, let me know what you think given your experience in the industry...and possible solutions.

cheers steve
    I dont have ADHD......ohh look a squirrell !!!

Quote Originally Posted by capt View Post
    Hi Scotty,

Jimmy here down on the Goldy. So you are sfter a new truck, well I just bought the new Ranger, and although I have only done 3000 ks I am very happy with the result. ........I bought the 4x4 auto cab chassis turbo deisel, and alloy tray which can only tow 2500 kg.which is more than the weight of my boat absolutley maxed out. It goes like the clappers, good on fuel about 9 lit per 100 ks
    Don,t get the Ford towing set up , they are having troubles with them , suggest the 3000 kg Hayman Reece ..........not Ford fitted . .........Ironman steel B/B ...........Lightforce D/ lights........etc etc ........The ford has a unique turbo .........better than the BT50

Best idea is drive em both.......PS I am a Ford man

cheers JIMMY
    Wow this thread has done over 12 months and Scotty you still don't own a Ranger LOL. or do you ?

Well since the post I put up at the start ( above ) I am still impressed after 20 k with my Ranger, however some issues .......

the Bridgestone desert/D a/t's will be stuffed in another 3k

the ute is extremely dodgy in the wet ....... to do with the limited slip diff I guess and the light arse end with the alloy tray

The big issue is the brakes lock up ( mainly the front) when I have to stand on them in a hurry ..... wet or dry, and with the bigger boat on tow

Yeah I know I should have got ABS but the demand at the end of that financial year for these trucks was such that there was no choice.

A mate has an 09 Colarado that does the same

It should be noted that I have a steel B/B hanging out the front.

A garage mech. said you can adjust the pistons in the front to correct this ? ? ? Can you ?

The tray is 2.3m long and tow bar tongue sticks way out the back without a problem and sharp turns with the tray shorter means i won't strike the boat .

The power when towing the small tinny or the viking is awesome ( better low down than the turbo cruiser), but will guzzel fuel in C/Control mode.

Off road is great especially with weight on board .

So that's the update for now..........

cheers Jimmy

PS Oh and the springs sit on top of the rear axel ....good ground clearance

[quote=capt;1222437]Wow this thread has done over 12 months and Scotty you still don't own a Ranger LOL. or do you ?

Well since the post I put up at the start ( above ) I am still impressed after 20 k with my Ranger, however some issues .......

the Bridgestone desert/D a/t's will be stuffed in another 3k

the ute is extremely dodgy in the wet ....... to do with the limited slip diff I guess and the light arse end with the alloy tray

The big issue is the brakes lock up ( mainly the front) when I have to stand on them in a hurry ..... wet or dry, and with the bigger boat on tow

Scott, get out to the dealers while this rain is coming down and try out both. If you think the Ranger is a better road car then you haven't driven in the wet- see above quote. The Triton is the only dual cab with ASC . It also has Electronic brake force distribution, which a few others have (DMAX and Colorado at least). As alot of the driving up here is in very wet conditions it is a major consideration. Take the triton to the slipperiest round about you can think of- Queens road is a ripper- and see if you can get it side ways- I bet you can't.
    Safety of the Triton is class leading too so if you have kids then this should be a consideration.
    I am a Triton owner so somewhat biased but looking at some comments here I think rightfully so.

Cheers

Capt....ha, no I don't have one yet, long story short is shit hit it and all my savings were sunk so i had to start over.

And I have driven both the Triton and Ranger, and a lot harder than the dealer 'test drives' they give you. My parents bought a new ranger about 2 months ago now, and my brother a new triton about 3 months ago. Have test driven them both in wet dry, hard driving, granny driving, towing (though not a great deal of weight in my boat), wet, dry, greasy and took them for a mud run. Drivability and comfort the ranger come out hands down winner, whilst the trtion was the best of the 2 off road. Triton had a lot more body roll and harder ride which caused loss of traction on the road ranger drove more like a car. For the amount of offrad driving i will be doing and the sort of country I'll be in, I'll let the triton go for the extra 10-12k and get the ranger. just have to save up the money again, new target is a march/april purchse, depending when the new T6 comes out, I might just wait for that. AS much as I WANT one now, I don't NEED it now and can make myselft wait, I want as little a loan as possible

by next April this should hit our market
    Last edited by MyWay; 13-11-2010 at 12:05 AM.

I wouldn't touch another Ford Ranger ''well at least not the ones sold in the UK'' [2.5 Duratec] the clutches burn out at the mere mention of towing! after towing a few times and reversing a 2 ton trailer I decided its best not to tow with this vehicle, the smell of burning clutch scared the hell out of me! also the chassis have totally inadequate paint, mines a 2008 and the chassis is orange with rust! why should I be responsible for re-painting a new truck chassis, but it looks like i'll have too, compared to my old Navara, Pathfinder, and Isuzu's the Ranger truck is utter rubbish!

The Triton can't be a worse truck that's for sure!

http://www.roadtestreports.co.uk/roa...s/Ford/Ranger/

Sorry for the rant, but that's my take on the Ranger [the UK version]

Sandstorm, took mine down to Brisbane in December and was impressed.

Also took it to Fraser island on the way back and the inland roads gave it an absolute flogging; looking more like a Winter Olympics mogul run in parts and getting worse from there.

We saw a fully decked out Nissan patrol with a rear shockie dragging along the ground and a Landcruiser on a tilt tray on the barge back to Inskip Point; I was impressed with how the little Ranger handled it all and got it serviced once we got back to Cairns and there was nothing wrong with it.

I'd expected to have done some bushes but suspension wise there was nothing wrong; maybe the English ones are made differently, who knows?
    Regards,

Andrew.
    =============
    W: www.agt.id.au
    M: 0410 834 486

Quote Originally Posted by Synful View Post

I'd expected to have done some bushes but suspension wise there was nothing wrong; maybe the English ones are made differently, who knows?
    I'm wondering the same thing mate , is yours a 3.0 litre motor? I'm also wondering if the Aussie Ranger utes are fitted with a stronger clutch, have you towed yet?